Buying D2G as prepaid phone?

wirecutter

Reaction score
I saw at least one post somewhere about buying the D2G as a prepaid phone to save some $$. I went to a couple stores and they all wanted the full price for the phone. For anyone that has purchased this phone as a prepaid phone, any advice? Is there some sales code on the bill the rest of us could use as reference or something??

cgull

Reaction score
Verizon will not subsidize premium phone without a 2yr agreement. Full retail is the only way.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

fox_hound

Reaction score
I paid full retail

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

everstar80

Reaction score
So did I and I hope that its worth it but its capabilities and what I've read it seems it will be. I still can't believe this guy was able to get a prepaid deal on a smartphone.

xtzee

Reaction score
With the full retail price paid..where you able to use it on any carrier? Or did you have to request an unlock code?

leobg

Reaction score
I got mine on prepaid. (A friend of mine in the States picked up in store activated on prepaid). I've got the unlock code already (purchased online) and are now awaiting to receive the phone (it was couriered to me). There is already a report phone works on the GSM/HSPA Rogers network in Canada. I will also test TELUS, BELL and FIDO. Will report back as soon as I receive the phone.

Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk

OP
W

wirecutter

Reaction score
Any chance you can post up an invoice minus any personal info so we can see what magic was done?

It does work on Telus. I posted that in another thread in this Forum.

leobg

Reaction score
I'll post invoice when I get it. Right now I don't have it - it should arrive somewhere in upcoming week along with the phone. (I had a friend of mine buy it for me in the States).

xtzee

Reaction score
So you don't need anything else to buy the prepaid? Just go in the store and ask for prepaid? A friend of mine tried it to get the retail one in Miami and they said it was $699. :S

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Not true. ALL of our devices can be put on prepaid...I don't even want to know what THAT would cost though!! Why would one want such a great device on prepaid though??

Verizon will not subsidize premium phone without a 2yr agreement. Full retail is the only way.

DroidForums junkie!

ches

Reaction score
Android on VZW prepay

One can order an Android handset online at VZW on prepaid. Droid X is ~$400 on prepaid with $40 voice only and $30 unlimited data as prepaid plans (variable voice plans available, unlimited data required). $35 activation fee required, also.

My question: If bought this way, can the handset be taken to a byod MVNO like PagePlus Cellular. PPC allows byod but VZW prepaid phones are not allowed. Does VZW compromise the Android handset on prepaid in some way, block it for use on an MVNO by ESN, or actually allow transfer and use of the handset on the MVNO?

I'm guessing the second, else one gets the handset for $150 off MSRP.

Not true. ALL of our devices can be put on prepaid...I don't even want to know what THAT would cost though!! Why would one want such a great device on prepaid though??

DroidForums junkie!

leobg

Reaction score
Why would one want such a great device on prepaid though??

I'll give you the reason why I did buy it on prepaid - simply because I don't plan to use it on Verizon and I wanted to minimize acquisition cost. On prepaid with the minimal plan they want phone is slightly cheaper than full retail price. Moreover Verizon didn't want to sell me the phone only even at full retail price.