Buying application's of the Android Market..Secure?

Thruway

Reaction score
I know multiple people will probably say that I'm taking this simple process to an extreme. I have had my credit card account stolen once via online purchasing (I'm technically savvy as-well, so yes I checked for the lock sign, green highlight and what kind of encryption the site was). It seems to me that putting a credit card number via phone will be even easier to get too, is there a way to bypass this?

Thanks in advance

-josh

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
What myself, and a lot of people have done, is get a card specifically for online purchases... something with a lower limit...

You can enter the credit card information on your Google account... on a PC.

OP
Thruway

Thruway

Reaction score
Noticed I have a typo, should be "Buying applications OFF the android market" as the title, sorry for the mis-understanding.

OP
Thruway

Thruway

Reaction score
What myself, and a lot of people have done, is get a card specifically for online purchases... something with a lower limit...

You can enter the credit card information on your Google account... on a PC.

That does seem like an easier idea. Though I'm 18 and have a debit card atm, not a credit card..

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I wouldn't use your debit card as it's linked to your checking... which if stolen would be a mess.

See if you can get a Visa or MC with say a $100 limit or so.... just something to use for Market purchases and maybe down the road online purchases. At least this way if your information is stolen they won't have full access to your money, it'll be a low limit they'll have to spend, and you'll be able to identify any unauthorized purchases and you'll know it's only being used for very specific things....

Just a suggestion... but an easy way to stay safer.

and on a side note, a simple credit card can help develop your credit score... which you'll need down the road. Just keep a low limit so as not to get yourself into debt problems with the card.

OP
Thruway

Thruway

Reaction score
I appreciate the help, I may just use a credit card via gmail.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I appreciate the help, I may just use a credit card via gmail.
Good luck. Just use caution and keep an eye on your purchase history!

One quick tidbit.... when you do purchase an app, take a look at the permissions it's requesting.... ie if you download a wallpaper app and it wants access to your SMS, phone dialer, etc... this should be a red flag.

Common sense will carry you along. Good luck!