buying a used Droid 1

zhawna

Reaction score
Hi,

After ruling out an iphone (!), I'm in the market for a used Droid 1. Here's some background info about what factors I'm considering:
* I want a combo of good screen quality and battery life.
* Initially, at least, I'll activate it with a Verizon MVNO and restrict data use and prioritize wifi. (I don't want to be under contract with Verizon simply because my infrequent use doesn't justify it, but Verizon coverage here is very good.)
* App-wise, it's mostly productivity stuff and the GPS that I'll use, i.e. a PDA + GPS.

I'm hoping that the Droid isn't too big - but I want to be able to use an eReader occasionally, and I can always throw it into a purse or messenger bag.

I don't see new ones available, so I guess it's CL or eBay and having to deal with the ESN. Are there other phones I should also consider? General used buying advice to find this model? Other factors I'm over-looking?

Thanks in advance for your advice,
Shawna

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
My only advice is to check the ESN first - but it looks like you have thought of that already - Good Luck on finding a good deal :)

BigG422

Reaction score
correct me if I'm wrong but are you saying that you will be activating the droid on the verizon network? When you activate you will have to get the $30 data plan no matter if you plan on using wifi mostly. I couldnt tell from your post whether you understood that you would have to buy a data package when activated, even if you buy it through a third party.

OP
Z

zhawna

Reaction score
correct me if I'm wrong but are you saying that you will be activating the droid on the verizon network? When you activate you will have to get the $30 data plan no matter if you plan on using wifi mostly. I couldnt tell from your post whether you understood that you would have to buy a data package when activated, even if you buy it through a third party.

Thanks for your reply. Allow me to clarify: I plan to activate it with an MVNO that uses Verizon and with a plan that includes a small amount of data. I'll use that until my needs change.

nateccnn

Reaction score

Thanks for your reply. Allow me to clarify: I plan to activate it with an MVNO that uses Verizon and with a plan that includes a small amount of data. I'll use that until my needs change.

I think the 30 dollar data plan is your cheapest option. That is in addition to your phone use minutes. You may find that buying a used phone for a couple hundred bucks doesn't save you anything over getting a 2 year contract for a new phone with a faster processor/higher res screen. Do you plan to stick with VZ for 2 years?

I contemplated the exact same thing when I signed up. I even considered paying full price for the new phone to avoid the contract. None of those options penciled out at the end of the day. And to be hnest, now that I have experience with VZ, I don't see myself leaving for a couple years anyway. I was with Sprint for 12 years before I moved to Vz.

Nate

Nate

NEFANINNM

Reaction score
I have a Droid1

The Droid1 is a very manageable size, although I've always used the Otterbox Commuter case and Invisibleshield, so it bulks it up. Upgraded from the first Storm and very happy. I used Wifi Analyzer for work to test and config multiple wifi routers and it worked great. Used Z4root, kept original ROM since really just wanted Barnacle for hotspotting.

Thinking of selling it since I just upgraded to the Droid X since I found I didn't use the keyboard and wanted more storage and faster processor.

wolfson1

Reaction score
No one here made offers or solicited anything but advice. Mo need for the warning IMHO.