Buying a phone at Best Buy vs Verizon Store

Jvandyke13

Reaction score
I'm wondering the same thing about the annual upgrade on a two year contact if its possible @ best buy.

Sent from my Samsung Fascinate using Tapatalk.

eurosteve

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that you can't do an early upgrade at BB. I'm in the same boat and I have to wait for Verizon. Too bad they're into all this mystery and games.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

mysticdroid

Reaction score
yeah i've gotta wait i think for it show up in VZW stores. I called Verizon and asked if there was someway to get okayed for an early upgrade through BB, but the guy wouldn't give. I worked in the connections center at Walmart and people would sometimes come in trying to upgrade, but they weren't eligible (we work like BB we can only do 2 year upgrades) They would come in the next day after talking to a rep and suddenly be approved for an upgrade. There is some magic word or something that'll let you upgrade early outside of a verizon store...i just dunno what it is.

JFMFT

Reaction score
So there's a rumor going around that Best Buy's date of release will be 2/14, while Verizon won't release the TB until 2/24. This would suck for me... since I'm a VZW employee and can't upgrade through 3rd party retailers like Best Buy and Wal*Mart, etc.

Starting to get discouraged...

gsu_golfer

Reaction score
So there's a rumor going around that Best Buy's date of release will be 2/14, while Verizon won't release the TB until 2/24. This would suck for me... since I'm a VZW employee and can't upgrade through 3rd party retailers like Best Buy and Wal*Mart, etc.

Think about the nice discount that you likely get on service and I'm sure that the pain will go away.

stumbleflyx

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to get a discount or coupon from best buy

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

JFMFT

Reaction score

Think about the nice discount that you likely get on service and I'm sure that the pain will go away.

While the discount is nice, I do pay for 5 people on my account, so it's not as nice as you think. Sure, I wouldn't pay for 5 people if I didn't get an employee discount, but paying for 5 at 50% price is the same almost as paying for 2 with smartphones at full price (which I'd pay anyway even if I weren't an employee).

Regardless, 10 days isn't that big of a deal; I'm just ready to be done with my "I-reboot-myself-randomly-a-million-times-per-day Droid X"

knilsilooc

Reaction score
Nobody mentioned this, so maybe it isn't something that happens for many phones, but here it is anyway. When I went to buy my Droid, I had two options:
  • Verizon Store for $299 with $100 mail-in rebate
  • Best Buy for $299 with $100 instant rebate
I think Best Buy likes to give instant rebates, which is a huge reason to go with them instead of the Verizon Store.

GDP

Reaction score
There's no rebates at verizon stores anymore for phones over $149. Meaning you will pay $199 for a phone that costs $199 instead of $299 then getting a rebate back 2 weeks later. Just so you know

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

aRsTwiX

Reaction score
One BIG difference between buying and VZW and BB, is that BB can't do early upgrades. Your 2 year or 1 year contract has to be over before you can get an upgrade at Best Buy.

wctaylor79

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
One BIG difference between buying and VZW and BB, is that BB can't do early upgrades. Your 2 year or 1 year contract has to be over before you can get an upgrade at Best Buy.

Got my D1 on an early annual main line on a two year after the first year and used a dell.com ad to get BB to price match..

goatpeddler

Reaction score
okay so i'm on a family plan. my brother's line is available for an upgrade, however, mine isn't... will BB do an upgrade transfer like you could at VZW? i know i can do it online thru VZW but the phone i want is free at BB and at VZW it's $100 so its seems silly to spend the money because i was afraid to ask a question. thanks.

banderbe

Reaction score
BB has a better insurance plan vs VZW imo. 10 dollars a month, no deductible, BB will replace a water damaged phone or one with a cracked screen. You get a new phone vs refurb. Plus, you can cancel anytime and get your money back in a BB gft card. So say 6 months in I cancel, I get 60 back.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

No offense but insurance on technology purchases is almost always a waste of time and money. I never buy the insurance and I've never needed it.

wctaylor79

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
BB has a better insurance plan vs VZW imo. 10 dollars a month, no deductible, BB will replace a water damaged phone or one with a cracked screen. You get a new phone vs refurb. Plus, you can cancel anytime and get your money back in a BB gft card. So say 6 months in I cancel, I get 60 back.

No offense but insurance on technology purchases is almost always a waste of time and money. I never buy the insurance and I've never needed it.

I beg to differ here.. but thats what it is an opinon.. I always have insurance. Funnny enough though my D1 is the first phone that I have never had to make a claim against. Before that I would go through 2 replacements a year at least... with kids and stuff I am hell on phones.. so the little bit a month to know I can get replaecment for cheap is worht it to me.. got friends though that feel it is a waste.. guess depends on how you personally feel..

Blackhawk55

Reaction score

I beg to differ here.. but thats what it is an opinon.. I always have insurance. Funnny enough though my D1 is the first phone that I have never had to make a claim against. Before that I would go through 2 replacements a year at least... with kids and stuff I am hell on phones.. so the little bit a month to know I can get replaecment for cheap is worht it to me.. got friends though that feel it is a waste.. guess depends on how you personally feel..

I've always been a loud opponent of insurance...that is until last summer golfing in a mist. My Droid was not even out in the open and it died. VZW said the water detector was tripped so no warranty for me. They even said having the phone in the bathroom during a shower could do that. That was the day I wished for insurance.

I've since discovered ensquared.com and am planning on using them to insure my TB. Half the price of other carriers with good coverage I think. Does anyone have any first hand knowledge about them?