buying a nexus tonight, have some questions

forsaken

Reaction score
i am buying a used nexus tonight and had a few questions. being that it is used what should i make sure i check? i am also assuming all i have to do is switch my sim from my bionic to it? i know that ill have to manually transfer pics and so on. the phone is a little over 2 weeks old and has the reciept to show it to. the company bought them iphones since they designed a app for it to help their productivity. any suggestions?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Make sure it's a clean esn. For your safety and the seller's, try getting the deal done in a Verizon store, just to make sure it's an easy transaction.

Not really anything hardware wise that breaks easily except maybe the battery cover.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
As Dez said - if you can get him to send you the ESN, you can check it here: Check Your Device

Also, your Bionic SIM won't work, as it's a regular SIM, and the Nexus takes a micro-SIM. Another good reason to do it at a Verizon store! But if you can't, and you are able to verify the ESN beforehand, you'll need to grab a micro-sim. Verizon will give you one for free if you activate it in store. Best Buy charges $20, Target Mobile charges $10.

We keep saying ESN, but I believe it's actually called IMEI now, and will start with something like 99000.... - same for all LTE devices on Verizon.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
As Dez said - if you can get him to send you the ESN, you can check it here: Check Your Device

Also, your Bionic SIM won't work, as it's a regular SIM, and the Nexus takes a micro-SIM. Another good reason to do it at a Verizon store! But if you can't, and you are able to verify the ESN beforehand, you'll need to grab a micro-sim. Verizon will give you one for free if you activate it in store. Best Buy charges $20, Target Mobile charges $10.

We keep saying ESN, but I believe it's actually called IMEI now, and will start with something like 99000.... - same for all LTE devices on Verizon.
Wasn't aware that LTE phones go by IMEI now. I'll try to keep that in mind:)

OP
F

forsaken

Reaction score
well that sucks, as im meeting them at 9 and verizon closes at 8. they care coming back into town from a business trip so they cant get in any sooner. oh well looks like ill check and make sure the numbers are good on verizons webiste and hope for the best

looks like they actually are getting in earlier lol last meting got canceled! some days stuff just works out!

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
if that's the case, then he should have no problems with you requesting the ESN to check ahead of time

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Yup, ask for any of the serial numbers ahead of time (ESN and/or IMEI). Also make sure to meet in a good area, bring a friend if possible. Never really know who you're dealing with until you meet them, so stay safe!

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Something I've always wanted to do at a craigslist "meeting" is have a friend with a red laser pointer hiding somewhere, point the red laser at the guy's chest and as I walk up and shake his hand, point out the dot on his chest and say, "this better be legit." :D

I don't recommend that though, and would never have the guts to do that myself.

OP
F

forsaken

Reaction score
my rottie will be with me as always and of course my friend from Springfield, Mass too. being a 225lbs and 5foot 10 tall bodybuilder with a muay thai background i dont stress to much.:icon_ devil:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
my rottie will be with me as always and of course my friend from Springfield, Mass too. being a 225lbs and 5foot 10 tall bodybuilder with a muay thai background i dont stress to much.:icon_ devil:
My bad, didn't know you were a one-man wrecking crew :p

Good luck with the phone!

OP
F

forsaken

Reaction score
hahahaha regardless of everything im still very cautious. i live by 2 sayings my grandfather told me. " Never underestimate anyone, always assume they can and will do you harm if they get the chance. Most people are pretty decent cratures, hovever you wont know who is and who isnt till its to late normally" and my favorite his stance on cardio " if you ever see me running... kill what ever comes by you next"

my rottie is about worthless for anything but drooling and loving on. i swear if anyone ever broke into my house he would show them where i keep the good stuff for a rawhide bone. he look scary but gets his ass handed to him my my cat all the time!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
hahahaha regardless of everything im still very cautious. i live by 2 sayings my grandfather told me. " Never underestimate anyone, always assume they can and will do you harm if they get the chance. Most people are pretty decent cratures, hovever you wont know who is and who isnt till its to late normally" and my favorite his stance on cardio " if you ever see me running... kill what ever comes by you next"

my rottie is about worthless for anything but drooling and loving on. i swear if anyone ever broke into my house he would show them where i keep the good stuff for a rawhide bone. he look scary but gets his ass handed to him my my cat all the time!
:D

Your Rottie must be a Golden Retriever at heart then. And yup, never know who you're going to meet out there which is why I always recommend when buying a phone from another user to do it in a Verizon store.

OP
F

forsaken

Reaction score
got the phone. its deff a change from my bionic. upgraded the radios but signal still sucks. i live in a fringe area so tbe samsung radios are not so hot for me. the bionic got ALOT better signal. batterlife is pretty rough too. gonna flash franco's kernal and see if that helps battery life

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Yeah the radios are pretty weak, and it'll show since you're in a fringe area. Battery life can be greatly improved by ROM and different kernel. Hope you can live with the signal though

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Whenever you get frustrated with the radio/batteries, just look at a pretty picture on the screen. That should at least provide some temporary relief. ;)