Buying a Droid phone through 3rd party?

JeffGoldblum

Reaction score
So I've had my heart set on a Droid X since the summer. I'm out of my contract with AT&T and want to get an X.

I just have a couple of questions about buying through a 3rd party and not directly from Verizon. Right now, Target Store's little mobile deal has the X for $100.

I want Verizon's phone insurance. Will I be able to get Verizon's insurance on the phone or do I have to do a separate insurance plan from Target?

Does anyone know if there is a minimum plan that you must sign with? Like when Wirefly has deals, you usually have to have a $60 base plan. I only need the 450 minutes and the unlimited texting with unlimited data.

I'm assuming the activation fee isn't waived but still, it's a decent deal and I'd rather do that than pay $300 and wait for a mail-in rebate.

If anyone has any first hand experience or knowledge, I'd appreciate it. Thank you.

fis

Reaction score
Verizon usually has a minimum $50/month monthly recurring charge for subsidizing UPGRADE deals through authorized dealers like Wirefly. For new accounts, it's lower. Also Wirefly does have free Verizon activation this weekend for Black Friday. The Droid X is free at Wirefly on Monday, I believe.

OP
JeffGoldblum

JeffGoldblum

Reaction score
Verizon usually has a minimum $50/month monthly recurring charge for subsidizing UPGRADE deals through authorized dealers like Wirefly. For new accounts, it's lower. Also Wirefly does have free Verizon activation this weekend for Black Friday. The Droid X is free at Wirefly on Monday, I believe.

I've actually heard a lot of negative "bait and switch" type things about Wirefly so I'm hoping to avoid using them. Originally I was going to sign up through them and then the complaints started flooding in on the deal.

fis

Reaction score
I have purchased my last several phones from Wirefly including all of my family's phones. Always fast shipping and easy activation. A lot of Verizon employees buy their phones through Wirefly because you can't beat the deals.

The complaints I read are usually:
1) People upset because Verizon didn't approve the order immediately (credit issues or upgrade eligibility) and it delayed things
or
2) People trying to do things outside the system, like get around the rate plan requirements or trying to stack discounts with NE2 or swap around upgrade eligibility on their lines.

gsu_golfer

Reaction score
I have purchased my last several phones from Wirefly including all of my family's phones. Always fast shipping and easy activation. A lot of Verizon employees buy their phones through Wirefly because you can't beat the deals.

The complaints I read are usually:
1) People upset because Verizon didn't approve the order immediately (credit issues or upgrade eligibility) and it delayed things
or
2) People trying to do things outside the system, like get around the rate plan requirements or trying to stack discounts with NE2 or swap around upgrade eligibility on their lines.

I'm actually thinking about getting a Pro from Wirefly. The only thing stopping me (and I'm going to call them to get clarification on this) is whether or not the "forbidden changes" (the ones that make them charge me $300 or whatever) include "upgrading" the plan by making the data plan higher or adding texting.

For instance, if I start with the $15/150 plan, and upgrade to unlimited, then later go back to $15/150, have I violated their agreement.

Wirefly

Reaction score
I'm actually thinking about getting a Pro from Wirefly. The only thing stopping me (and I'm going to call them to get clarification on this) is whether or not the "forbidden changes" (the ones that make them charge me $300 or whatever) include "upgrading" the plan by making the data plan higher or adding texting.

For instance, if I start with the $15/150 plan, and upgrade to unlimited, then later go back to $15/150, have I violated their agreement.
Good question. Here's the good news: Verizon would never consider that to be a deactivation. They are only concerned that the minimum level data plan is maintained. Unfortunately, here's the bad news: Verizon does not compensate us to provide the same level of discounts with the 15/150 data plan, so we cannot offer that feature with our great DROID PRO deals.

We understand how frustrating this is to a lot of you, and wish Verizon made it easier; but it's part of our promise of significant savings of up to $200 on every cell phone purchased from Wirefly. If we can't deliver significant savings, we don't offer the rate plan.

Please let us know if you have other questions about ordering from Wirefly.com!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have nothing against Wirefly, I just have never used them. I do have some experience with Amazon.com and that was a good experience.

jessicahll

Reaction score
I bought an HTC Incredible last night from Best Buy and I checked w/ VZW first to make sure I could get insurance. I opted out, though, and went with Best Buy's protection. It's $2 more but it covers everything except loss or theft.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I bought an HTC Incredible last night from Best Buy and I checked w/ VZW first to make sure I could get insurance. I opted out, though, and went with Best Buy's protection. It's $2 more but it covers everything except loss or theft.

Asurion's plan which you can still purchase covers loss and theft too.

jessicahll

Reaction score
Yes, but Asurion only gives you a refurb. My husband and I have only gotten a "new" phone through insurance once and it was a piece of junk. Plus, Asurion has a deductible. BB does not.

OP
JeffGoldblum

JeffGoldblum

Reaction score
fis, the complaints I normally hear about are usually with people who have family plans and how they wonder things along the lines of "can I do X thing when I'm not the primary account holder".

I went to Target last night and talked to the guy at the Target Mobile place. I asked the following questions:

Do I have to take their insurance plan or can I go to Verizon and add theirs instead?

He said I can do either. I believe he said it was $125 a year and included two replacement batteries for the phone and covered almost anything. At Verizon, I was told a couple of months ago that their $7 a month insurance covered everything from water damage to theft. Can anyone confirm this? I was really irritated with the kid at the store because he kept hovering around me and wouldn't let me just browse by myself.

Is the price shown what I pay or do I have mail-in rebates?

Today is the last day for the $100 price for the X. He told me that they deal with all of the things with the company and all I have to pay is the $100. Also, forgot to mention that it appears the deal comes with a $50 Target card and if I had old phones, video games, whatnot, that I could use that towards the phone or turn it into a gift card. Not sure what the details are but I'll find out today.

Is the activation fee waived?

There was a sign saying that for a limited time the activation fee is waived, so I already knew that it was. I was just double checking. He said yes and that this was a temporary thing and didn't know how long it was going for.

Do I have to have a minimum voice plan?

He said that I could have any plan that Verizon offers. I explained how all I really needed was unlimited texting and the minimum amount of minutes. He said he was the same way and that's how he has his plan.

I attempted to clarify and said something along the lines of them just being phone suppliers but all the service stuff was with the actual companies. I also explained how Wirefly has had much better deals on the Droid X but usually required minimum voice plans of like $60 +/- a month so I didn't want to attempt to deal with an online company.

He actually told me that they worked for Radio Shack and wasn't aware of Wirefly and said he wouldn't deal with a 3rd party company online simply because there's no face-to-face interaction.

I said "You guys get commission, right?"

He said they get base pay and commission. I pretty much asked this so he knew I was on the level. I'm actually kind of surprised how casual he was with it even though he slightly lowered his voice when he said it. Maybe I'm just that intimidating :ph34r:

I asked if I had an issue with the phone, should I go to Verizon or do I have to go to them.

He said I could do either.

So that's my basic experience from researching in the last two days or so.

From what I gather, as long as I keep service for 18 months or something, I don't have to pay full price on the phone? I asked the guy if he was going to be there today and he said yes so I'll try to get the gist of what their "hidden fees" would be. I've had AT&T for like 10 years or something and the only time I ever messed with my plan is when I got an iPhone that lasted me 3 weeks.

Nevertheless, I plan on coming home in a few hours with a new Droid X.

gsu_golfer

Reaction score

Good question. Here's the good news: Verizon would never consider that to be a deactivation. They are only concerned that the minimum level data plan is maintained. Unfortunately, here's the bad news: Verizon does not compensate us to provide the same level of discounts with the 15/150 data plan, so we cannot offer that feature with our great DROID PRO deals.

We understand how frustrating this is to a lot of you, and wish Verizon made it easier; but it's part of our promise of significant savings of up to $200 on every cell phone purchased from Wirefly. If we can't deliver significant savings, we don't offer the rate plan.

Please let us know if you have other questions about ordering from Wirefly.com!

Thanks for the confirmation. Having the $30 plan for six months is only a $90 difference anyways, so it's not that big of a deal.

I'm going to PM you some more detailed questions.

OP
JeffGoldblum

JeffGoldblum

Reaction score
I took the plunge and got an X. The guy was pleased and thanked me for actually coming back after I told him I would.

Ended up costing me $108.xx, no activation fee, $59.99 450 minutes, unlimited text, $30 data, $7.99 Asurion insurance and he said I should get the Target gift card within 6 weeks.

Now I have absolutely no idea what to do now. Been downloading apps and trying to save battery life. Anyone have any start up guide threads or tips for me? I feel like a virgin asking which hole it goes in, know what I mean? That was fairly vulgar. Oh well.