Buyer beware!!! Yahoo mail will not work!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ketchup

Reaction score
Yahoo mail and WiFi do not seem to go together. Odd.

However, if you do toggle the wifi, you need to kill the e-mail app and then turn off WiFi and then go back in to the app and Yahoo mail WILL work.

Use these settings and you should be OK...

* In the Incoming Mail (POP3 or IMAP) Server box, enter pop.att.yahoo.com.
* In the Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server box, enter smtp.att.yahoo.com.

* The Incoming mail (POP3) should be port 995 and SSL is checked.
* The Outgoing mail (SMTP) should be port 465 and SSL is checked.

If you toggle WiFi on or off, you need to kill the e-mail app and start it again.

I've verified that this works on my Droid with the current update applied.

Hawks

Reaction score
I use the K9 App and set did the manual set up for Yahoo on both mine and my ex wifes phone and no problems. Admitedly I dont use Wifi much

tripp racioppi

Reaction score
If your phone has been updated to android 2.01 yahoo mail will not work any more

My Droid got OTA updated to 2.01; Yahoo mail still working great on both accounts. Could the problem be with location???? I'm in Tidewater Virginia....r3

Jokool_7777

Reaction score
The first post under your complaint is all you need to read. Dont be frustrated with the Droid. Thats yahoo's fault for making it a paid service. Purchase it and it'll work fine. Again, thats not on the droid. Blame yahoo.

hughesjr

Reaction score
What is being blocked by several ISPs is "port 25" SMTP, imap is not normally blocked.

I saw in a post earlier in this thread the ability to use SMTPS (secure SMTP) on a port other than 25. I would think that would solve most people's problems.

It would also make it work in WiFi.

I don't think any ISPs are blocking IMAP (port 143)

Anyone having issues should set up the SMTP (outgoing or send) server to use secure smtp on port 465.

OP
I

isitkiller

Reaction score
Aha, it is DROID not YAhoo, refer to Post#32 by Ketchup.
I did not quite try what he said, instead I just rebooted
the device, viola, Yahoo mail connected right up. As soon
as I turned on WiFi, it stopped again.

Not just Yahoo mail, bunch of other apps did the similar if not same,
including Market, yes Market did not work on Wifi,
I switched back to 3G and well it went. Also some weather apps,
etc, did the same. Although the internet browser was fine.

To me it sounds like DROID can not handle the 3G->WiFi transition properly.

So it does look like some glitch in the DROID.

JayMonster

Reaction score
Aha, it is DROID not YAhoo, refer to Post#32 by Ketchup.
I did not quite try what he said, instead I just rebooted
the device, viola, Yahoo mail connected right up. As soon
as I turned on WiFi, it stopped again.

Not just Yahoo mail, bunch of other apps did the similar if not same,
including Market, yes Market did not work on Wifi,
I switched back to 3G and well it went. Also some weather apps,
etc, did the same. Although the internet browser was fine.

To me it sounds like DROID can not handle the 3G->WiFi transition properly.

So it does look like some glitch in the DROID.

Actually, no. Your test is good, but your conclusion is flawed. Allow me to explain (without going into to much mundane detail)

You connect to a web service (ie. Yahoo! Mail), it notes the IP address of your connection (so it can continue to service you). The IP address you have is the one assigned to your phone by VZW (which is acting as your router). So now you have an open connection there. You switch to your wireless router, you phone now uses the IP address assigned by that router. You send a request back to the server which believes you are at the VZWIP and returns your reuest "there" (which no longer exists, because your device has been assigned a different IP)... thus your request "hangs" as your app awaits a request that isn't coming. That is why when you switch back to 3G, it works again.

If you did it in reverse, you would have a similar problem.

Do a Google Search on "problems handoff 3g to wifi" and you will find similar stories about the iPhone, Blackberry 9700, and others, you will see T-Mobile, at&t, and Sprint mentioned. It is a problem all around with this sort of handoff... so it is NOT a Droid specific problem. Is it a problem... sure... but not a DROID problem.

OP
I

isitkiller

Reaction score
Nice! I thought the apps uses cookies to store your authentication credentials and not IP address, but you may be right, it might be doing both.

keepaddingink

Reaction score
For anyone still having a problem syncing yahoo. I had to turn on wifi then turn it off and after that restart the phone. It synced up with no problem after that.

Still not sure what messed it up in the first place.

Tuktanuk

Reaction score
I have tried everything to get Yahoo to work on the phone. Still fails on the manual set up. I have 2 Yahoo accounts that worked fine on my BB curve and fail to work on the Droid. Does not matter much to me though as the Droid is so much better than the BB. I guess until Yahoo decides to offer support; I'll just check the Yahoo when at a computer.

The name for the post is wrong as it is by no fault of the phone!

Status
Not open for further replies.