Buy your Chromebooks now at Amazon or Best Buy

J

JohnDroid

chromebooks-available.png

The day has finally come and it looks like those of us who weren't lucky enough to get a free CR-48 from Google and who didn't want to sign up with the GILT group can finally order our Chrome OS devices: The Chromebook. If your not sure what a Chromebook is, don't fear... it's a new device from Google that runs the Google Chrome OS.

What exactly is Chrome OS? Well, it's a very low overhead operating system made by Google that allows your device to have very low power hardware -- this allows the device to increase battery life and decrease price. The downside is that local storage is kept at a minimum -- all your data is stored and accessed from the cloud. This allows you to travel anywhere and access your data from anywhere but has the downside that you need connectivity to access it.

It's still new, and it's always improving but a community has built up around the technology and it's growing by leaps and bounds all the time. If you want to find out more, you can click the following links to view the purchase page for Chromebooks at both Amazon and Best Buy.

Chromebooks at Amazon
Chromebooks at Best Buy

If you want to learn more you can always check out the following sites.. one is dedicated to all Chrome OS devices and the other is made specifically for Chromebooks.

Chrome OS Forum
Chromebook Forum

funwheeldrive

Reaction score
I dont plan on buying one at that price point, but it makes me happy for the future.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes I agree. I think the Chromebook is overpriced for what one gets. It is a very limited platform. Just buy a regular laptop and put the Google Chrome Browser on it.

npro1464

Reaction score
I have zero interest in one, but I'll keep my eyes open for those surprise Amazon deals, like the ones we see for the Thunderbolt. Even for $100 I'm not sure I'd bite. I have an iPad and really have no need for it. Can it run Ubuntu or Windows?

DaWolf85

Reaction score
I have zero interest in one, but I'll keep my eyes open for those surprise Amazon deals, like the ones we see for the Thunderbolt. Even for $100 I'm not sure I'd bite. I have an iPad and really have no need for it. Can it run Ubuntu or Windows?
Good luck running windows on the massive 16 gigs of hard drive space it has ;)

rcjames

Reaction score
Good luck running windows on the massive 16 gigs of hard drive space it has ;)

Who ever use windoze now? When we got linux? J/k haha but chromebook is good but its very limited. For 16gb storage I would install linux. :)

aldonca

Reaction score
pricing is what make to rethink otherwise i am excited with chromebooks let see how it is going to shape before rushing in to decision

rcjames

Reaction score
pricing is what make to rethink otherwise i am excited with chromebooks let see how it is going to shape before rushing in to decision

I'll use this when I'm away from my office for a quick check on emails and maybe watch youtubes and browsing the net. I will be teathering it from my droid x :). I think I'm better off a tablet though I was at best buy and really like the xoom vs samsung, and acer. And others.

Meto

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
I received a free Chromebook from Google as part of the beta testers to test the use of Peoplesoft in a cloud environment. The chromebook is very light and is great for travel use to check e-mails and browse the internet, but there are still a lot of apps that need to be developed before it is worth the money.

Reaction score
Chromebooks go in the same category as tablets and netbooks for me. That category is things I don't need because I already have a laptop and a powerful smartphone.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Chromebooks go in the same category as tablets and netbooks for me. That category is things I don't need because I already have a laptop and a powerful smartphone.
Not to suggest that everyone needs an iPad (believe me, I'm not), but I felt the same way until I sat on a couch reading email and news on a tablet (in my case, the 10" Viewsonic gTab). No doubt it duplicates function, but what it's done is create a space between the phone (OG Droid) as a communication device, and the laptop as a work/productivity device. Sure you've heard the argument before...now go sit on the couch and try it. :)

My issue with a cloud-based netbook is that at $20-$30/month, a cellular data plan (OK, the cost is baked into the pricier units) doesn't make sense yet. We all say the same thing...I can tether with my phone. Once "anywhere" access becomes free/affordable, I can see a device like the Chromebook making more sense.

-Matt

jayman350

Reaction score
so now not only can you overpay for a underpowered netbook, but when the tiered data pricing come along for VZW you can pay out the nose for limited data on a device that is meant to be connected all the time. Yay verizon :wacko: :cuss: