Buy phone without contract?

tituswife

Reaction score
I'm not due for early upgrade till March. I'd also like to avoid a new contract. How do you do that? Is there a safe way to buy a new phone? I would like a 4g LTE, large screen with an HD port.

Thank you for any help.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I just won an auction on eBay for a Thunderbolt for $77 in "like new" condition.

OP
tituswife

tituswife

Reaction score
I hadn't thought Of Ebay. I hope it works well for you. Thank you.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
There are lots of places to look: eBay, Swappa, tech/phone forums, Craig's List, purchasing at full retail (through Verizon, Best Buy, Amazon, etc).

I've done most of my buying and selling through various online forums, with a little bit done on eBay.

OP
tituswife

tituswife

Reaction score
There are lots of places to look: eBay, Swappa, tech/phone forums, Craig's List, purchasing at full retail (through Verizon, Best Buy, Amazon, etc).

I've done most of my buying and selling through various online forums, with a little bit done on eBay.

Thank you. I'll look into those places.

tc1

Reaction score
Craigslist (obviously be careful) is the best place I've found, no fees, shipping, etc.

And you never know until you give a posting a shot... I had an HTC rezound and traded a guy who had a brand new Samsung galaxy s3.

He simply preferred HTC sense over touchwiz.

OP
tituswife

tituswife

Reaction score
Craigslist (obviously be careful) is the best place I've found, no fees, shipping, etc.

And you never know until you give a posting a shot... I had an HTC rezound and traded a guy who had a brand new Samsung galaxy s3.

Thank you. It's good to have it narrowed down.

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score

Craigslist isn't the safest.... but you get to try the product before you buy unlike online... a common meeting place would be your carrier so you can activate it if u decide to purchase

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

OP
tituswife

tituswife

Reaction score
Craigslist isn't the safest.... but you get to try the product before you buy unlike online... a common meeting place would be your carrier so you can activate it if u decide to purchase

I live in a small town, so it's unlikely to find a phone I would like. Still, it's good to know that About Craigslist. Thank you, again.

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
I live in a small town, so it's unlikely to find a phone I would like. Still, it's good to know that About Craigslist. Thank you, again.

oh OK... I happen to be in NYC so there's many deals... I found eBay to be a bit pricier on certain phones.. all depends on which one you're looking for

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL

Yeah, there's no real means of recourse when using Craig's List besides pestering the person you made the purchase from. With eBay, Swappa, and forums worth anything, you'll have a documented means of rectifying a situation, either through the site or through PayPal.

You can get some great deals on Craig's List, but you do have to be extra careful. Meeting at the carrier to not only inspect the device before buying, but also to make sure you'll be able to activate it without any problems, is definitely a great way to go.

OP
tituswife

tituswife

Reaction score
This information is very helpful. Thank you very much.