Buy OFF CONTRACT or not?

jmurra

Reaction score
Some suggest that if you can afford the up front cost, there are advantages to doing that - but I am not sure what. Since I have unlimited data plan, does that allow me to keep it? Is the monthly charges less? Or........? Appreciate the help, will be replacing a two year old RAZR MAXX with something.

SoDroid

Reaction score
If you buy off contract you make no changes to your plan. So if you have unlimited with Verizon you will keep unlimited. If you upgrade through Verizon you will have to restructure your plan and lose your unlimited data. That's the sole reason I've been buying phones off contract for the last couple of years.

sent from The Note 3

OP
J

jmurra

Reaction score
If you buy off contract you make no changes to your plan. So if you have unlimited with Verizon you will keep unlimited. If you upgrade through Verizon you will have to restructure your plan and lose your unlimited data. That's the sole reason I've been buying phones off contract for the last couple of years.

sent from The Note 3

Thanks for quick reply. Can I buy OFF CONTRACT through Verizon paying full price? They presently seem cheaper for the phones I am looking at than Amazon, Best Buy, etc.

SoDroid

Reaction score
Yes you can. I believe online it says that it is month to month but it is off contract. Your best bet is to go into a Verizon and just let them know that you want to buy a phone at full retail and make NO changes to your plan . You might want to check out Swappa first too . Swappa is a good website to find lightly used phones.

I just sold my note 2 using Swappa.

sent from The Note 3

OP
J

jmurra

Reaction score
#2 Second question for you, I had a corporate account originally on my phone and may have been paying more for it. It is gone now, are there two price levels for UNLIMITED or not?

SoDroid

Reaction score
I've never had a corporate Verizon account so I'm unaware of that plan. The only unlimited plan that I'm familiar with at Verizon is the $30 plan that they cancelled about 2 years ago unless you are grandfathered in.

sent from The Note 3

OP
J

jmurra

Reaction score
I've never had a corporate Verizon account so I'm unaware of that plan. The only unlimited plan that I'm familiar with at Verizon is the $30 plan that they cancelled about 2 years ago unless you are grandfathered in.

sent from The Note 3
I JUST LOOKED IT UP ON THE BILL, IT IS CALLED " Corporate Email & Data Unlimited" - $44.99. Wonder if I can separate them or lose it all.

SoDroid

Reaction score
I JUST LOOKED IT UP ON THE BILL, IT IS CALLED " Corporate Email & Data Unlimited" - $44.99. Wonder if I can separate them or lose it all.

I don't remember exactly but I think you're paying extra for the corporate email part. I think it has something to do with accessing Microsoft small business servers mostly for Outlook email. I'm not sure if you will be able to change that to just unlimited data or not. My guess is that if you change your plan to anything they're going to try to make you lose your unlimited. But it can't hurt to ask. Maybe you'll get a good rep that will help you out.

sent from The Note 3

Stormy Knight

Reaction score
Some suggest that if you can afford the up front cost, there are advantages to doing that - but I am not sure what. Since I have unlimited data plan, does that allow me to keep it? Is the monthly charges less? Or........? Appreciate the help, will be replacing a two year old RAZR MAXX with something.
I just did this last Friday ordering a Moto X from Motorola at full price. Had to activate the phone over my landline with Verizon. I made sure before starting the process that I would retain my unlimited data. The rep said that I would so I proceeded with the activation. I also know nothing about corporate accounts, but I'd check with a Verizon rep before buying anything.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Just an FYI: Best Buy will price match VZW. I originally bought the G2 for $599 which was VWZ's price. Best Buy's was $699. When the price dropped to $549 several weeks later I went back for a price match. And then during the sale for $449 a few weeks ago I went back for another price adjustment. Also if you have a Best Buy credit card you can get no interest for 18 months and also get reward zone points. Even better if you are an Elite Plus Reward Zone member you have up to 45 days to try it out and return it of you don't like it.

SoDroid

Reaction score
Just an FYI: Best Buy will price match VZW. I originally bought the G2 for $599 which was VWZ's price. Best Buy's was $699. When the price dropped to $549 several weeks later I went back for a price match. And then during the sale for $449 a few weeks ago I went back for another price adjustment. Also if you have a Best Buy credit card you can get no interest for 18 months and also get reward zone points. Even better if you are an Elite Plus Reward Zone member you have up to 45 days to try it out and return it of you don't like it.

I didn't know best buy would price match Verizon. That's good to know!

sent from The Note 3

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
I didn't know best buy would price match Verizon. That's good to know!

sent from The Note 3

YMMV

I have heard others say that their BB will not do it. But I have bought 5 phones from them and they always price match VZW and even amazon.

Tap'd from my LG G2

moset

Reaction score
If you have unlimited data you can get Verizon Max plan that is 6gig for$30/mo. You can get a subsidised phone if you're due an upgrade and have 6 gig. That's more than I use so I'm thinking of going that way if it hold until my upgrade date. Not such a good deal for those who use tons of data.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk