Buy now or wait?

Codiusprie

Reaction score
please share what you're specifically looking for besides "Android" and "cheap".

Another reason to consider your needs/wants instead of those of other people.

Cheap is not one of the requirements. The good deal on the Droid was a bonus, but I want something with enough power to not become a paperweight within the next year.
My storm has served me well for the past two years and before that I had AT&T 81XX Windows based phones that did OK.
I am not a power user and am not even sure what rooting is or why everyone thinks you have to do it. I will download a bunch of random games and other app to enjoy, but mostly I want a great phone, good web surfer, good emailer, decent texter, a good video player (cartoons for the kids make for good eating out experiences), digital camera replacement and something I can put ebooks on. If I get into the Android culture, I may get more into all the hardcore stuff I see discussed here, but that's not the key.
Does that help with a requirements list?

At least for today (who knows how long) Buy the DROID by Motorola and Get One FREE! (with 2yr activation per phone)

So, thats TWO Droids for $199 after all is said and done. Its like cars and golf clubs-unless you buy two per year, you WILL be a little behind the curve. NO ONE is going to release a device that is the end-all, do-all for two years to come. Technology move steadily forward, and waits for no one!

I got two Droids on Amazon for 45 bucks when I activated my new account. That was in March.

snappingfish

Reaction score
AND the new update will send it into overtime

I got the Droid and March and I couldn't be happier. Then I rooted and it got even better. I really like the physical keyboard and I have large hands (not sausage fingers, just big hands), I have the htc on screen keyboard and while it is growing on me I would not want it as a replacement for the physical keyboard.

Wait for summer. Around July Motorola is releasing 2 phenominal phones. The Shadow and Droid 2.

If you can't wait jump on the current Moto Droid. The developer community behind it is phenominal. Just on these forums alone you can see the amount of developer support and customizations available.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Where did you get this information? Everything I have read says fall at the earliest for the Droid2. The Droid isn't even a year old.

2.2 will improve almost all aspects of the MotoDroid, and by the time THAT gets old, (very late 2010, or early 2011 ?) THEN look for the Droid2, or Shadow, or whatever its gonna be called

papy72

Reaction score
My philosophy on phones: buy the best tech available unless there is an actual release date out there (not the rumor mill) for something better.

I bought my Droid when there were rumors of the N1 and/or HTC Desire coming to VZW "in the next few weeks".

I am extreemly happy with my purchasing choice, and wouldn't trade my Droid for an Incredible even if it were offered to me for free. Well, ok maybe if it was free :)

OP
thehirsches

thehirsches

Reaction score
At least for today (who knows how long) Buy the DROID by Motorola and Get One FREE! (with 2yr activation per phone)
!

You should know this is a lie. It's buy one get one as long as both are within their upgrade times or the second one is a new line.

You should also know that verizon does not share its yearly upgrade dates with 3rd party dealers like Wirefly. They will only see the date for the "One every two" upgrade date.

I know this because my purchase with wirefly was canceled by them due to not being within my upgrade date (the one every two date) and when I called to do the buy one get one, they told me I was not allowed to get the deal since the secondary phone was not within its "one every two" upgrade time.

Its rather funny that I can't seem to give Verizon my money or an additional 2-year contract without them expecting me to bend over then thank them afterwards.

Yeah, I am angry...

snappingfish

Reaction score
Here is the way it is.....

!

You should know this is a lie. It's buy one get one as long as both are within their upgrade times or the second one is a new line.

You should also know that verizon does not share its yearly upgrade dates with 3rd party dealers like Wirefly. They will only see the date for the "One every two" upgrade date.

I know this because my purchase with wirefly was canceled by them due to not being within my upgrade date (the one every two date) and when I called to do the buy one get one, they told me I was not allowed to get the deal since the secondary phone was not within its "one every two" upgrade time.

Its rather funny that I can't seem to give Verizon my money or an additional 2-year contract without them expecting me to bend over then thank them afterwards.

Yeah, I am angry...

Both of your existing phones/contract have to be within the 1 every 2 time frame, in which case you AND YOUR WIFE can get the 2 fer 1 phone deal.

Now, I called the 800 # for verizon, and told 'em I was going to go to the local VZW store, and pay the ETF, just to get rid of 'em, because they wouldn't let me upgrade early. (My 1.5 year was in October 2010). At that time, I got put on hold, and when the VZW rep came back, and said because I was a great customer, they would allow me a special deal and allow for an early upgrade. (They also put me on the nationwide 450, which is $49, and the family plan allows the extra line for $9.95 for a ttl of $59.90 + all of the BS fees.

If you are within the right time frame to do so on ONE phone, but NOT OK on the other phone, you CAN still work it out. You can go to eBaY, buy a cheapo (like LG VX8300 -I bought one for the same reason-got it for $38 included ship) have your local VZW store rep program your wifes ph number to the cheapo, THEN sell her existing unit on eBaY, which should even offset the cost to you even more, then add a 3rd line on the Family plan for $9.95 + the $29.95 (for internet services) and activate the droid, port in her number, and wait for the term of her original contract to run out so you can then sell the cheapo, kill the service agreement (the two years will be up on her phone sometime) and at this point, you should both have new Droids, a viable two year contract, no third line, because as soon as its month to month, its a goner, right?.

Now, typing that all out, in a hurry, looks like a lengthy ordeal, but it only took about 45 minutes on the phone with VZW Cust Serv (800 number) and another 45 minutes at the VZW store wiping data off the old phone, and energizing the new Droid.

It worked for me, and I bet it would work for you.

Last edited:

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Unless you're considering leaving VZW and going to Sprint for their new 4G phone...

On that thought, if you're thinking like that, check to see if Sprint will even have 4G will be in your area any time soon.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
cereal killer,

You say to wait for the newer phones to come out, but from what I can find, there is no scheduled date for release yet on the Droid 2. Have I missed finding the date?
I don't mind waiting till July-ish, but one poster said it could be november-ish and I am not sure if my PoS Storm 1.0 will last that long.

Thanks.
Pics have already been leaked of the Shadow and the Droid 2 will not be far behind.

July is still the projected release month for both devices and the guys who are saying this are VERY accurate.

But : ) I hate to lay this one on you, there is a monster called the Moto Droid Pro that will hit in December.

I don't have any info on it other than it will be world phone and it will be a monster.

It's been described as "godly" : )

I have an upgrade right now and I don't know how I will pass up the Droid 2 but I'm go to wait so that I can weigh my options.

I can tell you my next purchase will definitely be the Moto Droid 2 or Moto Droid Pro.

edit: forgot to post the http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-news/46599-motorola-shadow.html

Last edited:

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
But : ) I hate to lay this one on you, there is a monster called the Moto Droid Pro that will hit in December.

I don't have any info on it other than it will be world phone and it will be a monster.

It's been described as "godly" : )

I have an upgrade right now and I don't know how I will pass up the Droid 2 but I'm go to wait so that I can weigh my options.

I can tell you my next purchase will definitely be the Moto Droid 2 or Moto Droid Pro.

And here I was tsk tsking people who went from the Droid to the Incredible thinking "I" would never consider changing phones before a contract was up. I'll probably be going to eat my words as when the Droid Pro comes out I may be doing that same thing. Ah well, live and learn.

OP
thehirsches

thehirsches

Reaction score
We went with two droids.
Been loading them up with apps since the weekend.
Now, just to figure out how to root them (and why).