Buy Droid Now or Wait?

luckmylife

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. I have a Curve and am planning to switch to Droid. Check around on websites and get the best price you can for it! I found Sears and Dell ads (from another thread on this site) with Droids for $149 and I'm going tomorrow to see if Best Buy will match the price.

keiichi25

Reaction score
So you guys don't foresee them coming out with a Droid 2 in the near future? LOL

To be honest, there will always be a 'newer' droid type device in the 'near' future. I mean, heck... Back in June, my company got the Blackberry Story, cause, at the time, it was the most current Blackberry that could be used as a world phone with a camera. 4 months later, the Storm 2 came out as well as an improved Blackberry OS, not to mention the Tour as well.

The thing you want to ask yourself is do I really want to wait or not. No matter how long you wait, the next thing will come out, then the next thing.

What I can say for now, is that the Motorola Droid and the HTC Droid Eris... Are decent and built upon experiences with previous Android phones, like the T-mobile MyTouch G1 phone, which, by the way, is an HTC phone. HTC will be following up with newer phones, like the Hero, Persuasion and more with the other carriers, so your opportunities will open up even further.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
HTC has a couple of phones coming out in the near future, I believe. You should check those out. You've already seemed to check out the Droid so it's just a matter if there's another phone you like over it.

Seems like if you're asking the question to get it now or later means if you get it now there will be some regret. If I were you, I would just wait.

In the mobile world there is "always something better around the corner". The Droid is top of the line hardware with a well, beta-working, OS. It's already had one major updated and another one is on the way. So if you want a polished OS, I recommend the Eris. If you want the power, and the excitement of knowing the phone only gets better with time, go with the Droid. The new "gPhone" is also being said to be released next month, but that's just a rumor.

From my experience, I came from an AT&T Tilt and I will NEVER go back to WinMo again or any other OS for that matter. I just find Android to be superior and the future of smartphones. It's user-friendly, fast, smooth, open (unlike the iPhone), and customizable, unlike WinMo (which i didn't think i'd find important, but boy was I wrong, one of the strongest features for me.)

All that being said, it's still really up to you. You gotta try out the device and figure out if it's for you. I can definitely say though, that this phone will get better with time.

Last edited:

brindanoize

Reaction score
-Well, the new iPhone is due in June or July, and it's a pretty safe bet it will have to trump the current Droid. It just has to for the iPhone/Apple to survive and remain a viable alternative. So that's really the next milestone phone (no pun) to look out for. The android phones I think are still sorting themselves out, companies analyzing the Droid's somewhat surprise success and planning, so I think it'll be a while before the next quantum leap w/ the Android OS.

Another thing is reception and your location...depending where you are if your reception is as horrid as mine was when I had AT&T, then no phone is worth that suffering and aggravation that apparently iPhone users have become accustomed to just for what their phone can do.

So, I think it's worth it to make the switch 'cause you got 6 or 7 months to enjoy the current state of the art, it'll get trumped by the new iPhone, but then Moto or someone else will leapfrog over the next iPhone by the time you're ready for an upgrade...and hell the iPhone might be on Verizon by that point.

So now looks like a great time to jump in, the water's just fine.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
HTC has a couple of phones coming out in the near future.....

Not if they gave them away for free....HTC=Junk in my experience...and I've had several....

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
HTC has a couple of phones coming out in the near future.....

Not if they gave them away for free....HTC=Junk in my experience...and I've had several....

Haha I get where you're coming from.

I blame it on the software, HTC has always stuck with WinMo which is nowhere near as user-friendly as Android or iPhone. It's a very complicated phone and basically a laptop/netbook in the palm of your hand. I loved some features, but hated others. The thing I couldn't stand was the lag I had, but that seems to be fixed with the new WinMo 6.5.

Still I chose the Droid over the Imagio or TP2 for a reason. Droid = future

bacalao

Reaction score
You could wait another year for a better phone, but then you will ask yourself the same darn question and won't move forward. Lol.
Look, you played with the Droid, and others in the store. Pick the one you like most that is a definite upgrade. I really wanted my Droid, but I didn't imagine that I would like it and use it even more than I imagined! Bro, its powerful, bugs are exagerated, keyboard is nothing you can't get used to, and I have downloaded at least a hundred apps and games that fill in the gaps from the blackberry I had and then some... and free! I customize my phone down to almost every detail.
Its the hottest thing out now, and you got the Time gadgets behind. Probably shouldn't take that lightly.

Happy happy, droid droid! (Funny to anybody that watched cartoons growing up)

I understand that there will always be newer and better phones out there. I guess more of what I was asking is there going to be a better Droid offered in the near future. For example....the BB Storm 1 came out and there were tons of glitches (mainly the touch screen). Then shortly after BB released the Storm 2 that was supposed to "fix" all these glitches. If I had a Storm 1 I would feel very cheated. I guess Im wondering if this sort of thing will or could happen with the Droid since it is so new? Can they fix everything with OTA updates alone? Thanks again!

Yea I had a storm, and it wasn't anything to envy in the beginning. After about 10 months, they released that updated OS and it was a huge improvement that I didn't see coming.
The Droid is not close to being maxed out. And with Google backing the software as compared to RIM, it just will get better and stay fresh up until you get the Droid 3.

johnflo88

Reaction score
@mpgolfpro: I am an iphone 3g owner.On U.S thankgiving, I went across the border and decided to checked out the Droid,in 10 mins I was hooked! I realized that my Iphone has so many limited functionality and capabilities.No Multi-taskings at this day and age?? I wondered, what improvements have apple done to the iphone in the last few years beside 100,000 apps.
Sure, iphone 3G to 3Gs,a very small update,selling more of the same iphones to the same suckers just for the "S". I was glad I did not, against the advice of my 3G friend who did.
What I am trying to say is,we're so much control by apple even down to the simple thing like the battery and more. If I want to change the battery (god forbade) it's going to cost me $100.00 and freight out for a week.
The Androids has catches up and i am glad that they've given me a better choice and it's a very good thing.My iphone is a GLORIFIED TOY with a cellphone attached and the Droid is an awesome computer phone. Now I will have the fun beside GAMES to customize the Milestone,aka.Droid like my laptop.Oh, able to carry 1or 2 batteries just in case,now that's FREEDOM. I bought the phone and should be able to do what I want with it.
Well, I'll definitely sell my Iphone and get a Milestone in early 2010 in canada.
Lastly, don't get me wrong,the Iphone is a very good device when it first came out. An ipod with a phone and able to play games,that's about it. Okay, with an exception, able to do couple of e-mails.
BTW, I bought the Iphone 3G was because of the jailbreak community and almost all my friends.Basically,it's the jailbreak that mades the iphone so popular to day.
Talking about control, Steve J. the DICTATOR is constantly trying to shut them down.
Finally I can be FREE from Apple.:icon_ banana::motdroidvert:

Last edited:

LordKastle

Reaction score
Most likely if the new iPhone was released on Verizon (there is no confirmation), it would be pushed back from the original date just published. This was the first news ever heard about it actually in the works and nothing stays on schedule when a rumor is started 7-8 months in advance...

So get your Droid now..when 4G is out if you want to get a new phone then you will still be able to get a discounted price. Who knows maybe by September, a more likely date if 4g phones become available, there will news of other phones coming out that trump an Apple phone.

If you wait any longer then you keep pushing back your upgrade dates.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
The iPhone could be given away for Free on VZW.... No Thanks....

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I guess Im wondering if I should wait for a "better" phone in the near (1 year) future or go ahead with the Droid. Are any phones rumored to be coming out that will be head and shoulders above the Droid?
This question pops up on just about every discussion forum site that I visit and the answer is always the same, regardless of what smartphone the poster is asking about. You have to decide when you're ready to jump in. Worrying about "something better" is a trap that I'd recommend avoiding. No matter what point in time you choose there will always be something newer and better in the queue. Not much point in relying on that as a decision point IMO. Shop what's out there and determine what option suits you best.

-Well, the new iPhone is due in June or July, and it's a pretty safe bet it will have to trump the current Droid. It just has to for the iPhone/Apple to survive and remain a viable alternative.
It's not an either or thing despite what the fanboys in the various camps seem to think. There are certainly plenty users that just want the simple appliance smartphone that the iPhone is and they'll be happy sticking with it even if it doesn't drastically change. Not every single person needs or wants the power or flexibility of Android devices.

Last edited: