Buy Android apps with no credit card required? Google says yes!

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
ftzcrb.jpg

Payment changes are coming to Android by September, according to Google's Tim Bray. In a short blog post, Bray outlined these changes, which he expresses will be beneficial to developers, and consequently, we believe users will benefit as well:

• In Section 13.1, “authorized carriers” have been added as an indemnified party.
  • Section 13.2 is new in its entirety, covering indemnity for payment processors for claims related to tax accrual.
In layman's terms, this means that consumers will be able to purchase apps through their carriers' plan. So, what's the benefit? One word: convenience. Instead of paying via Google Checkout, these changes will allow the purchasing of Android apps to be much more streamlined and easier for the consumer. No long will you be required to set up a third-party payment account to download paid apps.

Apparently, T-Mobile already allows its users to add the expense of paid apps to their bills, but with the new changes, all carriers will inherently have the ability to do so. This could mean increased sales for developers, many of which have had a hard time making that Android commitment, because of low sales figures (compared to the Apple App Store). Do note, these changes won't take place until 30 days down the road, so don't expect your carrier to provide this option until late August/early September.

What is everyone's thoughts on the new payment options? Will you stick to using your Google Checkout/PayPal account, or consider allowing your carrier to tack on these charges to your monthly bill? Let us know.

via AndroidGuys
source: Android Blog

Thanks to Shadez for the tip!

Last edited:

casesteam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
But will that give VZW another opportunity to tack on another tax? :icon_evil:

R

RETG

You make it sound like Verizon likes to tack on taxes. Those taxes, Verizon is required to collect cost them money, they don't make anything off them.
Like any merchant, the collection of taxes and then the distribution to the taxing authority costs the merchant money.

Bimmerjo

Reaction score
I think this is awesome that Google is doing this! BUT, I will continue to use a third party payment system for budgeting reasons.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think this is awesome that Google is doing this! BUT, I will continue to use a third party payment system for budgeting reasons.

I'll go along with this. Maybe have a choice on payment.

JMU_Droid

Reaction score
I think it's good that they're going to offer this option, but I'll be sticking with Google Checkout. I'd rather take care of apps a few dollars at a time rather than getting sticker shock on my monthly bill. I would actually probably get fewer paid apps if I saw them all together on my bill.

ma5t3rw1tt

Reaction score
Sounds good but what about those who will try to play the system and be like "I never authorized these purchases" or "Someone used my droid to purchase the apps", you know its bound to happen.

casesteam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

You make it sound like Verizon likes to tack on taxes. Those taxes, Verizon is required to collect cost them money, they don't make anything off them.
Like any merchant, the collection of taxes and then the distribution to the taxing authority costs the merchant money.

Perhaps I didn't say this quite right...sorry about that - the market price currently posted is the price we are charged. I wondered if VZW would somehow roll this into something that is currently taxed and that cost would go up - or the other possibility - I don't see VZW doing this for free so will this raise the cost of the apps so VZW can get a cut?

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I think it's good that they're going to offer this option, but I'll be sticking with Google Checkout. I'd rather take care of apps a few dollars at a time rather than getting sticker shock on my monthly bill. I would actually probably get fewer paid apps if I saw them all together on my bill.

+1 if Google Checkout remains an option. I'm on a business plan and work won't cover apps.

Nibbz

Reaction score
they better continue Google Checkout or they might lose me as a consumer on the market. I enjoy buying with my card because I have a family account. I pay my mom $X a month and i buy apps ob my own with my car so that our bill doesn't increase and I have to give her more money. I won't be able to buy apps as much or at all if they completely change it... any word on if its a complete switch?

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
You won't be losing the Google Checkout option. This is just an alternative payment option :)

Nibbz

Reaction score
then im completely fine with it. thanks for that tidbit

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
then im completely fine with it. thanks for that tidbit

however i could see AT&T putting restrictions on its Android users (if it's even legal), by forcing them to buy apps thru AT&T. we'll see....