Button Failures post Froyo (2.2.3) update

FlameSoulis

Reaction score
Hello! I am new to the forums and stumbled upon here while doing some Googling for Droid information. After reviewing some guides, I knew that help could be found here.

Here's my problem: I got a used DROID 1 off of eBay that stated there were no issues. Upon receiving it in its bubble wrapped coffin, I turn it on using the power button on top and am glad to see it functional. I soon set up my wi-fi settings (I had no intentions to use it as an actual phone yet) and quickly visit the Market and grab Skype. In midst of downloading, I get a message about an update being available and requiring a reboot. I agree, satisfied that the wi-fi was defiantly working since the Skype had downloaded flawlessly and obviously it was able to grab updates for itself.

I watch it do its updates and after awhile, I am greeted with the good old home screen. I hit the power button to let me pop in the micro SD card and now notice it ignoring me. I try hitting the camera button and see nothing happen. Volume was also unresponsive. I shrug and just pull the battery, not really seeing an issue since it is just a phone and I haven't been doing anything other than having it in the home menu. Upon popping the battery back in, the power button still refused to do any action.

One visit to the Verizon store for a charger, I pop it in and am glad to see it boot up. The only way to get it to wake up now is to clip out the keyboard, a function I am used to with my Samsung phone (non-Android). What leaves me confused is how a system update has now caused the buttons to stop working.

So, my question is if anyone else has had this issue and/or has any idea how to resolve the issue? I can live with it, but if it can be fixed, I'd rather go that route. I am perfectly fine with rooting it (it isn't atm as I cannot see the su option in the apps menu) or any other things as long as I can back it up and restore in the event of failure.

Thank you for your time.
-Flame

vey

Reaction score
I hesitate to reply because I have only had my phone for 6 months. I use the stock ROM (2.2.3 now) and my phone is rooted.

I'm wondering if you had a bad upgrade flash. It kind of smells like that. The droid is sort of famous for the on/off button breaking, but all the buttons at the same time? Doesn't seem like a physical problem.

It's sad that this happened before you got to know your phone better, because it will make fixing it doubly difficult for you.

If it were me, I would install the Motorola drivers and all the other stuff you need to root the phone on a PC. I use superoneclick to root the phone, (but I should learn to do it manually so that if something goes wrong, I will know what to do.)

Anyway, after the phone is rooted, I would try flashing in a rom of some kind using a program called RSD Lite (I use 5.0). Maybe you should try flashing in Peter Alfonso's stock 2.2.3 rom http://bit.ly/tvUQdi
You can get RSD Lite on his download page. Sholes - Downloads

The reason that I am suggesting RSD LITE rather than ROM Manager free is because I'm not sure what buttons may or may stop working at any given time. So, let's say your keyboard D Pad stops responding at a bad time in the flash, well you might need that D Pad if you are using ROM Manager to properly finish.

Don't try any of the GingerBread ROMs. I tried Peter Alfonso's stock Gingerbread rom and the phone calls started having troubles and the camera stopped working right. Then I forgot that I had a backup and tried his 2.2.2 version. Things still weren't right, then I remembered that I had a backup, put that in and everything was golden again.

I did have to unroot to put in 2.2.3 update, something went wrong in that procedure and I ended up in a loop, so I used RSD Lite to flash in my 2.2.2 backup again, updated to 2.2.3 then found that I needed superoneclick 1.7 to root again.

This is the extent of my experience. Other people here love to flash in all sorts of exotic ROMs. But I'm trying to stick to the basics.

Added later: It occurs to me that if you use RSD Lite, you don't have to root the phone, only if you use ROM Manager.

Even later: I think I have a plan for you.
1. Download the SBF file that I mentioned above and RSD lite
2. Download the drivers and all the other stuff you need for rooting (google this for step-by-steps)
3. Figure out how to get your phone into bootloader mode. For me, it is simple. Turn phone off, plug into USB cable on PC, slide open keyboard turn it on using the power button. Since your power button isn't working, I don't know what you will do, maybe put the battery in? It will say bootloader in the upper left when you are there.
4. Run RSD Lite v.5 and flash in the SBF file. (use the ... button to browse for the file)
5. Reboot and see if the buttons are back. They should be. If not, try the 2.2.2 file which is on the download page, called FRg22DG Master OTA
6. You make have other problems like lots of Force Closing. I did.
7. If so, root the phone (google for this) then install Clockworkmod Rom Manager.
8. PM me and I will send you a backup. I have 2.2.2 and 2.2.3 back ups here.

Last edited:
OP
FlameSoulis

FlameSoulis

Reaction score
Knowing the known problem involving bad flashing gives me a good sigh of relief knowing that this isn't a first case thing.

I have heard about Clockwork when I was looking around for rooting tutorials, and am also aware that it occasionally fails on the install (so it has to be repeated a few times if I recall off hand correctly).

A quick question though regarding the flashing process: I have dealt with flashing PSPs in the past and am aware data gets lost. When flashing the DROID, what data can I expect to be lost? Also, I have to wait awhile for a micro-USB cable, as I only received the DROID itself.

What I also found odd is that the main speaker is non-functional as is the mic, but the ear speaker is still working. I was able to sync my Bluetooth headphones and then audio works just fine (and at very nice quality might I add). When doing the Skype test call, it acts as though nothing was recorded (so it does the beginning and ending bell rings directly after each other), but I have not tested this with the headset yet.

Even with the current issues, I am so far very impressed with the DROID, but am glad there is a possible solution which I can't wait to give a try to revive all the features again. While not a hardware issue nor software (and also a bit out of scope), is there any way to make the screen not a fingerprint magnet?

-Flame

vey

Reaction score
Don't count on salvaging any data. In fact, to make a successful flash with Rom Manager, it is often recommended that you wipe data and settings. So don't spend much time installing software or data unless you root the phone now and make a backup with Titanium backup.

Sparkimus

Reaction score
Does the vibrator work? The reason I ask is because all of the buttons that you lost function of, the speaker, the microphone, and the vibrator all run off of the same ribbon cable which is pretty small and I've seen a few broken ones in my shop. Does the phone have water damage?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
FlameSoulis

FlameSoulis

Reaction score
Yes, the vibrator:biggrin: (sorry, immature, sorry) doesn't work either. I don't see how it could have gotten water damage since I did use the button to turn it on at first then all of the sudden they stopped working after the update. As stated, the speaker for the ear DOES work, just not the 'main' speaker (in case they are different).

-Flame

Sparkimus

Reaction score
Yes, the ear speaker is separate from the other speaker. The funny thing about liquid damage is that even if is a small amount, corrosion will build up over time and things can start failing months after contact. I see it all the time at my job.

Are you sure the button worked when you first got it?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
FlameSoulis

FlameSoulis

Reaction score
Yes because I did not have a power adapter to turn it on any other way. Granted, the phone didn't do the normal boot up, but rather as if it was in sleep mode (which was odd since it had 50% battery life left though with Wi-Fi off and what not), but I am positive I 'woke' up the phone with the power button.

I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron, but out of curiosity, is this bus simply a connection bus that is connectable at both ends (meaning the bus can be replaced)?

Also, how can I check for water damage? What signs should I look for (like any water reactive marks)?

-Flame

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Hmmm, it does sound kind of like a hardware malfunction to me as well. On the back, under the battery cover right by where4 the sd card goes in is the water indicator.

Also, vey had a couple of different things going on. You flash a ROM with a custom recovery. ROM Manager uses ClockWorkMod recovery but also helps automate the process a bit as well. You flash a .sbf file (which is more than just a 'rom', it the whole shooting match) with RSD Lite.

good luck

OP
FlameSoulis

FlameSoulis

Reaction score
I just checked and both under the SD card itself and the cover don't show anything out of the ordinary. Of course, when I got the Droid, it came with the 'expanded' battery (DP7X), so I am not sure if that spoils any results.

-Flame