But why?

ljholland

Reaction score
Root that is.

I used to have a Droid 1. That phone NEEDED to be rooted just to be useful. I had totally custom ROMs, an overclocked CPU, and WIFI tethering, and just about every other tweak available. I spent considerable time researching, testing ROMs, and dealing with FC loops debugging. But once stable, the phone was good.

Flash forward to now with my new Incredible running Froyo 2.2. It's very fast, LauncherPro themes it well enough, I've got WIFI tethering through another hack. It's a great phone.

I'm trying to come up with a compelling reason to bother rooting. Looking back at my old list of programs that required root, other than not being able to run Titanium to back everything up, the phone is doing pretty much anything I can think of.

Am I missing something?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Root that is.

I used to have a Droid 1. That phone NEEDED to be rooted just to be useful. I had totally custom ROMs, an overclocked CPU, and WIFI tethering, and just about every other tweak available. I spent considerable time researching, testing ROMs, and dealing with FC loops debugging. But once stable, the phone was good.

Flash forward to now with my new Incredible running Froyo 2.2. It's very fast, LauncherPro themes it well enough, I've got WIFI tethering through another hack. It's a great phone.

I'm trying to come up with a compelling reason to bother rooting. Looking back at my old list of programs that required root, other than not being able to run Titanium to back everything up, the phone is doing pretty much anything I can think of.

Am I missing something?

Well there are a number of things you can do rooted that you can't do with a stock Incredible. Applications come to mind that you can't use in stock, but like me, maybe some of them aren't that important to you. Apps to do screen shots, quadrant speed tests, cache cleaners that will clean your entire apps with a push of the button, removal of unwanted programs. Custom ROM's I believe are now available for the Incredible.

I'm running the D2 bloatware, blur and the whole 9 yards. I'm not convinced I need to root either, just looking at it from a rooters perspective.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
I initially rooted just for wifi tether after swearing I wouldn't. Now that I've started researching custom ROM's, I'm really enjoying the phone much more. The cleaned up ROM's run much better than stock, to me.

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
The chief reason to root is to break free from the diet of what Verizon feels like feeding you. If you're rooted, you have access to roms from developers, some of which contain cutting edge features. Why settle for one dish (Verizon) when you can have a buffet?

-Mike

OP
L

ljholland

Reaction score
OK....just rooted and tried SkyRaider with it's default kernel. I've underclocked with SetCPU slightly. Anyway - I'm seeing a significant increase in battery life and more significantly, no significant battery use from phone calls.

So - I guess that's that. I've joined the ranks of the rooted.

The downside is I'll be needing to keep up with the changes. With the Droid 1, that seemed like a daily exercise. Hopefully, the ROM distributors are being more conservative with their testing now.

OP
L

ljholland

Reaction score
This was posted elsewhere on the forum:

Dial ##778

2. Go into edit mode

3. The password is 000000

4. Once in go to M.IP Default Profile and edit DUN NAI from [email protected] to [email protected].

5. Then hit menu and press commit modifications.

6. It should then reboot.

7. FREE WiFi!!!

GahhItsLee

Reaction score
I rooted simply to underclock my phone and use the cache cleaner apps.
I'm thinking about using ROMS but i have no idea how to so i probably wont.