busybox install help plz

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by tdawg5480, Dec 13, 2009.

1. tdawg5480

tdawg5480 New Member

One might say if you dont know what your doing dont do it but im learning more and more linux by the day so to widen my droids reach I installed busybox however i read on some apps in market says busybox needs to be installed in system/bin or system/xbin I used a tutorial that put it in /data/busybox does it matter where its installed? i used this tut
    Re:Got root? Need more? Install Busybox! - AndroidFanatic Community Forums should i just redo it for system/bin? i know it works because some new commands work when i use better terminal emulator......advice is appreciated THKS
  2. lvlln

lvlln New Member

I'd like some help, too. I can install BusyBox fine and use all its tools, but I have to type in

export PATH=/data/busybox:$PATH

each and every time I open a shell in order to use the BusyBox commands. Either that or manually call the command by giving its full path (e.g. /data/busybox/ls) How can I permanently add /data/busybox to the PATH variable?

Also, BusyBox's ls command outputs are a little hard to read due to having no space before the name of each file/folder. Is there a tag to make it more human-readable? I couldn't find anything in the documentation.
  3. cellulararrest

cellulararrest New Member

if you don't want to type the path to busybox everytime you want to run it... Just move it to /system/bin and chmod to 755 (probably don't even need 755 since you're root, but that's easy enough).
  4. kevdog

kevdog New Member

You can also put busybin in /system/xbin (which you have to create the xbin directory since the xbin directory does not exist by default).

/system/xbin is in the default path.

Most tutuorials then tell you that you can use busybox like this (This is an example of using the busybox cp command):

Code:
    busybox cp <source> <destination>
    However if you want to do away with the busybox prefix, while in the /system/xbin directory you can do the following:

Code:
    busybox --install <install_destination_directory>
    So if in the /system/xbin directory this would be:

Code:
    busybox --install .
    If outside the /system/xbin directory you would have to specify the install directory.

So the entire code would be the following:
    Code:
    $ su
    # mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
    # mkdir /system/xbin
    # cd /system/xbin
    # cat /sdcard/busybox > busybox
    # chmod 755 busybox
    busybox --install .
    # mount -o ro,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
    # exit
    $ busybox
    BusyBox v1.15.2 (2009-12-02 21:29:32 EST) multi-call binary
    Copyright (C) 1998-2008 Erik Andersen, Rob Landley, Denys Vlasenko
    and others. Licensed under GPLv2.
    See source distribution for full notice.

So the net result of doing all of this is that referring to the first example, all you would have to do to use the busybox cp command would be the following:
    Code:
    cp <source> <destination>
  5. dustin4863

dustin4863 New Member

every time i go to my command prompt to access the adb i get
    "The system cannot find the path specified." or
    "The name specified is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

but its not only for the adb i cant access ipconfig,defrag or ping what is the deal here has anyone seen this
  6. tdawg5480

tdawg5480 New Member

im following kevdogs post there but i get invalid cross device link when i get to the install part
  7. lvlln

lvlln New Member

I see, thank you, that works. Now, I'd like to have it so that I don't have to type in "busybox" every time, but I'm also worried about cluttering up xbin with all of busybox's commands. Is there a way to change the name of the busybox command to something shorter, like "bb?" Copying busybox to bb didn't seem to work.

8. lvlln

lvlln New Member

Same problem here. I can install busybox fine in /data/busybox, but not in /system/xbin.
  9. tdawg5480

tdawg5480 New Member

follow this http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...covery-framework-res-apk-custom-boot-ani.html busybox works without a glitch seems to me im a newb and from reading theres diff ways to install apps and this works great if u need latest binary ver 1.15.3 lemme know i tried busybox sie and i get tarball files dunno how to install them dont wanna try as method of busybox i had was a single file and not a zip.tar.gz thing
  10. mikedageek

mikedageek New Member

11. tdawg5480

tdawg5480 New Member

wow thanks but that confuses the bejesus out of me think im stepping out of bounds I am however in search of linux commands cheat sheet like ls cp mount etc all the basics and busyboxs as well. im a linux newb and trying to learn and train myself like i did with windows since a kid back in 3.11 lol to start i added linuz to my ps3 and my laptop and force myself to use it to learn any help is appreciated
  12. kevdog

kevdog New Member

Are you running the busybox install . command from the abd shell or from the device itself from a terminal emulator?
  13. mikedageek

mikedageek New Member

if you edit your .profile config in your HOME directory you can add that directory into your path permanently ...
  14. lvlln

lvlln New Member

Sorry, but I can't seem to find this .profile file. By HOME directory, you mean the one you enter into when using adb, right? The one with the sdcard, system, root directories? Could I create one manually?
  15. phone

phone New Member

This doesn't work, HOME isn't set in the Android environment. I tried doing this the other day when I was messing around. PATH is actually set in /init.rc. You can edit /init.rc but the changes don't stick after a reboot. I suspect it's flashed onto the ROM. This is the first time I've played with a phone. :)

If you want busybox in your path, I'd stick it in /system/xbin. There's nothing there, you have to create it, and it's already in the PATH.
  16. mikedageek

mikedageek New Member

I assumed that the shell would be like bash and other shells where you edit the .profile "file" ... however reading further into the comments/posts on Re:Got root? Need more? Install Busybox! - AndroidFanatic Community Forums they are editing a file init.rc instead of .profile ... it is in the /system directory .. just keep reading ... looks like you need to be aware of which busybox install you are using too ...
  17. phone

phone New Member

Are you sure /system is mounted RW? Run

# mount

and the output should show /system as "rw," not "ro." I see most people mounting /system on /dev/block/mtdblock3, mine's on mtdblock4. Check and make sure you're using the mount command on the right device.
  18. mikedageek

mikedageek New Member

btw; rw = read/write while ro = (you guessed it) read only
  19. lvlln

lvlln New Member

Thanks, but I don't think mounting is the issue. I can cp the files from /data/busybox to /system/xbin just fine. It's only when I'm doing the "busybox --install ." command that it fails.

So I've got a valid workaround: I've just cp'd all the busybox commands I use frequently to xbin.

I've tried renaming busybox's ls so that I could use that and the default ls (as busybox's ls, while seeming to give more info, isn't very readable when you just want to see the contents of a folder), but it didn't work. I'm not familiar with Linux binaries; is the filename of the binary important for it to be executable?
  20. phone

phone New Member

When I ran --install with busybox I just moved to /system/xbin/ and ran "busybox --install" I didn't add "." for the current directory. That worked for me. If it doesn't work for you, possibly a different build/version of busybox?

If you look at $PATH

# echo $PATH

you'll see that /system/bin/ is in the PATH before /system/xbin/. So when you run ls from the command line, you'll be using Android's version of ls by default. If you want to use busybox's you need to run "busybox ls." Another thing you can do is use "which" from busybox to show the PATH to a command, like

# which ls

hth,
Search tags for this page

busybin path.apk

busybox custom path

busybox installed how do you run the shell

busybox installer help

busybox invalid cross-device link

custom path internal install busybox

do i install busybox in the bin folder

how to install busybox
instal busybox android croos a25