Bummer: Full 2.3.5/1.3.418 root is broken

BladeMaverick

Reaction score
update zip posted here Soak Test Yea got E-mail today .... - Page 3 - xda-developers
Soak Test Yea got E-mail today ....

Will have to check this out when I get home later today. Just flashed 412 2.3.5 and Eclipse 2.1.

Update :

Just flashed the 418 2.3.5 with root from 2.3.4 using Voodoo. Great find, Jason.DROID!

Screen cap of end result with 418 2.3.5 : vvv

1336509644955.png

Update 2 : Unsure if anyone else had issues, but BusyBox didn't flash over when updating to 418. Could be just me. Tried to install and use Titanium Backup, didn't give the option to allow or deny usage from SU. Uninstalled, installed BusyBox off Market and reinstalled TB and works fine now.

Last edited:
OP
J

Jason.DROID

Reaction score
Yeah, I had to manually copy the busybox binary to /system/bin with root and chmod 6755 to get it working again. Or if you use the Busybox installer, it does that for you. Otherwise, when you go to update the su binary in Superuser app, it will fail to update since busybox doesn't have the correct permissions set or isn't there at all.

Dkbiker3501

Reaction score
So does this method definitely work? I just received a free DX2 :)icon_ banana:) from my insurance after I bricked my D2 due to the bootloader update that rendered all sbf's useless. While I'm pumped I got this new phone for nothing but my own mistake :biggrin:, Im kinda scarred from the whole process and would rather not bricking my brand new phone. Moto blur on this phone is terrible and I would love to flash one of these CM7 roms i'm seeing ASAP! Thanks!

Last edited:

Ay_Ya

Reaction score
I took the OTA download last night and then downloaded Voodoo. I used Voodoo to protect root, but after running the update zip, I maintained Super User with no problems. I'm using Barnacle to tether my my laptop with zero issues. I did not need restore anything. I will dig further into it as work permits, and see if there are any issues. This is on my DX2. I will go test drive my backup DX via WiFi and see if it recieves the update. It is not rooted because I did not pay attention to the last OTA and got caught with my pants down and don't see any reason to sideload any form of Linux just to root my dust collector right now. :icon_eek:

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
So does this method definitely work? I just received a free DX2 :)icon_ banana:) from my insurance after I bricked my D2 due to the bootloader update that rendered all sbf's useless. While I'm pumped I got this new phone for nothing but my own mistake :biggrin:, Im kinda scarred from the whole process and would rather not bricking my brand new phone. Moto blur on this phone is terrible and I would love to flash one of these CM7 roms i'm seeing ASAP! Thanks!
don't think any cm7 roms are based on new update yet, so you need to SBF back to 2.3.4, if you want cm7

Dkbiker3501

Reaction score
don't think any cm7 roms are based on new update yet, so you need to SBF back to 2.3.4, if you want cm7

Thank you for that information but I probably should have been more clear on what I was asking. I am running the 2.3.5 418 update and I want confirmation that it is possible to sbf back to 2.3.4 without bricking my phone..these guys say it is but this is the only place online regarding this downgrade considering the update was just released. An update is how I bricked my d2 with an sbf and I just want to avoid that from happening again. Thanks!

Raven65

Reaction score
Thank you for that information but I probably should have been more clear on what I was asking. I am running the 2.3.5 418 update and I want confirmation that it is possible to sbf back to 2.3.4 without bricking my phone..these guys say it is but this is the only place online regarding this downgrade considering the update was just released. An update is how I bricked my d2 with an sbf and I just want to avoid that from happening again. Thanks!

I'd like to see a firm answer on this too from someone who's done it from the exact same situation. I have a completely stock DX2... never rooted... and I accepted & installed the 2.3.5 / 1.3.418.MB870 update. This phone has been buggy from day 1 and this last update was my last hope that Moto could fix it. As no surprise to anyone, it didn't (and in fact made it worse). I have completely given up on them. UNCLE! Give me root... give me ROMs.

Can I safely SBF back to 2.3.4?

IamBatman

Reaction score
Any chance of a root method for the 2.3.5 / 1.3.418.MB870 update.<br>Without going back to 2.3.4.

ConcreteB

Reaction score
Raven, most of us that have done as of Wednesday got replacement phones with 2.3.5 / 1.3.418 installed on them. So we were never rooted, however, our phones never had previous software installed on them either. I do not believe that it matters, but I wouldn't claim to know everything about it. I can only confirm what I've done. I SBFd my factory new DX2 with 2.3.5 / 1.3.418 backwards to 2.3.4 with only one minor issue. That issue was that I had to factory reset after in order to get out of roaming mode. Before the reset I was able to root, install titanium backup, install items from my old phone and then backup the phone with my data from the week since I got my new phone. I am very happy with the results. I'm deciding between reinstalling the update, or using a custom rom.

You'll see more people making these mods now that the update is available

Dkbiker3501

Reaction score
Raven, most of us that have done as of Wednesday got replacement phones with 2.3.5 / 1.3.418 installed on them. So we were never rooted, however, our phones never had previous software installed on them either. I do not believe that it matters, but I wouldn't claim to know everything about it. I can only confirm what I've done. I SBFd my factory new DX2 with 2.3.5 / 1.3.418 backwards to 2.3.4 with only one minor issue. That issue was that I had to factory reset after in order to get out of roaming mode. Before the reset I was able to root, install titanium backup, install items from my old phone and then backup the phone with my data from the week since I got my new phone. I am very happy with the results. I'm deciding between reinstalling the update, or using a custom rom.

You'll see more people making these mods now that the update is available

You're the man, I'm gunna go for it after work tonight. Which sbf did you use? That dtn150 that the other guys were talking about?

Dkbiker3501

Reaction score
So I decided to finally go for it and all is well. Sbf back to 2.3.4 went fine, as well as rooting. Now I'm enjoying cm7 which is showing how horrid MOTOBLUR really is because this is silky smooth. Now contemplating whether or not to update back to 2.3.5 and try out the 2.3.5 eclipse rom! Thanks everyone!

Raven65

Reaction score
So I decided to finally go for it and all is well. Sbf back to 2.3.4 went fine, as well as rooting. Now I'm enjoying cm7 which is showing how horrid MOTOBLUR really is because this is silky smooth. Now contemplating whether or not to update back to 2.3.5 and try out the 2.3.5 eclipse rom! Thanks everyone!
Very good to hear! Are you having any issues at all with CM7 - or is WiFi, 3G, and everything else working well? I'm going to take the plunge very soon - and I can't decide if I want to try CM7 or Eclipse... or just get rooted on 2.3.5, freeze some bloat there and stick with that. I'm generally happy with the stock ROM (when it's not lagging/crashing), but I'm sure I just don't know what I'm missing with the custom ROMs.

Dkbiker3501

Reaction score
Very good to hear! Are you having any issues at all with CM7 - or is WiFi, 3G, and everything else working well? I'm going to take the plunge very soon - and I can't decide if I want to try CM7 or Eclipse... or just get rooted on 2.3.5, freeze some bloat there and stick with that. I'm generally happy with the stock ROM (when it's not lagging/crashing), but I'm sure I just don't know what I'm missing with the custom ROMs.

I only had CM7 shortly before I fell asleep on top of my phone while it was in recovery because i was performing a backup.. the next morning my phone was in a bootloop lol. I do believe everything on that rom was working fine. Prior to me causing it to crash somehow That same day though, I re-sbf'ed it and then rooted it. I protected the root with voodoo( since its only way to have rooted 2.3.5) and then updated back to 2.3.5. I restored root and it worked fine. I then flashed Eclipse because i loved the way it looked, its a very nice looking rom. Everything on this rom is working so far and I've been using it for a day or so. Thank god! Im so glad I'm able to flash roms on this phone, that was my only worry when leaving my D2.

But if you do choose to go for eclipse, here is some advice: After you protect the root with voodoo, carry on with your update to 2.3.5. But do not flash the eclipse rom yet. After using a root checker of some sort, and have verified that you have root access, be sure to delete the backup out of voodoo! I failed to do this and it causes a crash in the eclipse install, which forced me to have to sbf and third time.. If nothing else this forced me to get a little more comfortable messing with this phone. Lol anyway, Good luck!

DerekFlint

Reaction score
I am a total noob at all things root-related. After receiving a replacement X2 a few weeks ago, I used "droid_easy_root_v7d" on my mac to root it. Then Verizon sent an update that I tried to ignore, but the phone eventually updated itself and I lost root. I am clueless about how to SBF back to 2.3.4, and quite frankly would rather wait until some new droid_easy_root thing is available vs. possibly screw up my phone because of my ignorance. Is a new version going to be available any time soon?