Bullseye Banner Ads

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by Extrapolateer, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Extrapolateer

Extrapolateer New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Recently used my Motorola Droid browser to go to movies.yahoo.com to check a movie time. Noticed a Netflix banner ad at the top of the page. I had just canceled my Netflix subscription last month, so I clicked on the banner ad to see what it said. To my surprise, when the page loaded it said "Welcome Back," followed by my name and a button to click to restart my subscription. Obviously, Netflix knew exactly who I was even though I had never been on their website with my phone before. How did third-party Netflix get my name for this ad? There are three suspects: Verizon, Yahoo, and Google. Has anyone else experienced this type of "bullseye" advertising? How is it done? TIA

2. Martin030908

Martin030908 Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +0
    Creepy... but the way of the world.
    Could be real simple. He L L.... when you call Dominos now-a-days they recite your number and full name back to you right when you answer. I'd assume a simple caller ID function....

To answer your question.... is your G-mail account synced to your Droid the same one you used for Netflix?

3. Extrapolateer

Extrapolateer New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    "... is your G-mail account synced to your Droid the same one you used for Netflix"

Good question, but no, I used a different email account with Netflix. Thanks.

Verizon also tells me they didn't do it.

4. madpanic

madpanic Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Verizon sells your info to other companies. I just got the opt-out in the mail yesterday.

5. vearix

vearix Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Were you using wifi?
    Might be because you are on the same network as w/e computer you used to log into it with?

6. Extrapolateer

Extrapolateer New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No, I haven't used wifi with my Droid since I got it.

Obviously, someone cross-referenced Netflix customer information to name/address data provided to them by Verizon, Yahoo, or Google. It would be easy for Verizon to provide the name/address information. Hard for Yahoo. Possible for Google since they have the GPS information and who knows what else in their databases. The Droid is like having a little robot with eyes, ears, and dynamic 6-DOF position/attitude senses in your pocket, and connected to the Borg (Google). Great spy tool in the wrong hands. And lots of willing targets.:)

7. minmongoblin

minmongoblin Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Switch to the Fandango app =P

8. Gunghoray

Gunghoray Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think this is a DROID issue. You're on the right track. VZW, GOOGLE, or MOTO. My vote is a "super caller id" that read either your IP or your username and linked it to Netflix. The net is a plethora of information about you.

E-Commerce is graduating into a new era where Tom Cruise in Minority Report is not as far in the future as you think.

Search tags for this page

what is the bullseye symbol on my phone