Build.prop Finger Print Question

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by BlackMarket, Sep 9, 2010.

1. BlackMarket

BlackMarket New Member

If I change my build.prop line:
    "ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/voles/sholes/sholes:2.1/ESE18/45394:user/release-keys"

as seen in my LithMod ROM

and change it to read as follows:

ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/voles/sholes/sholes:2.2/FRG22D/50454:user/release-keys

What would happen?
  2. Abe21599

Abe21599 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

it would make the market believe you have FRG22D.
  3. BlackMarket

BlackMarket New Member

And thats it? no adverse effects?
  4. BlackMarket

BlackMarket New Member

figured **** it... I did it... no problem on reboot.

sorry for the n00b question.
  5. log

log New Member

It'll also make Verizon think you already have FRG22D so you won't get the OTA update notifications.
  6. LexusBrian400

LexusBrian400 New Member

Thats actually not true at all.

Its just a market fingerprint. Not a system key.
  7. meishkov

meishkov New Member

That's not true. I'm using SS 4.7 and I had to do this because my phone kept downloading the 77mb update over and over and there was nothing I could have done about it until I found out about editing that line in the build.prop file.
  8. mrpotatohead99

mrpotatohead99 New Member

Just as a double confirmation LexusBrian is in fact wrong. Changing the fingerprint in the build.prop as stated in the OP will in fact stop the OTA update from downloading to your phone. It essentially works as a fingerprint indicating what phone you have and what ROM version you have. Therefore, if you update your build.prop fingerprint to the fingerprint of the latest OTA you won't the OTA, saving you battery and preventing related overheating issues as well. :) Also, you could trick Market into thinking you have a Droid X and download apps that only appear for the Droid X. :) Finally, the issue above will be fixed in SS 4.8 as Chevy updated the build.prop fingerprint. Hope that clears everything up. :)
  9. LexusBrian400

LexusBrian400 New Member

Okay, that may be true for your phone, but its not for mine. I have a droid x now, but when I had an eris, the market fingerprint had nothing to do with our OTA updates. In About Phone, the system build was the same so we still kept getting the notification. Market fingerprint had nothing to do with it on that phone. So no, I'm not wrong. Maybe in the case of your phone type, but not all.

I'm guessing Moto and HTC do things differently :) All we had to do on Eris is remove OTACerts.zip, and we never got a notification again. No battery drain like you guys report from doing that either. In fact, its how all Eris ROMS are made - They just remove OTACerts.zip

So I may have been wrong pertaining to Moto phones, but I'm not wrong pertaining to ALL phones :)

Build.props is what I do. If you have a Droid2 or DroidX, look in Rom Manager and you'll find Beesley's Build.props.

I'm Beesley :)

I should have checked that this was the droid section before answering the question that was sent to me. My mistake...
  10. mrpotatohead99

mrpotatohead99 New Member

Interesting Beesley! :) Well technically changing the fingerprint should work with any phone. To clarify that means all build/hardware/model etc fingerprints need to be updated in the build.prop as there are multiple areas that specify different values. You would have to update all of these to reflect another phone in order to see it's apps in Market. As for the OTA issue with the Droid I say only change the
    ro.build.fingerprint because all the ROMs I know of have all the other values correct for the latest OTA. In other words, I'm assuming ro.build.version.release, ro.product.model, ro.product.brand, ro.product.name, ro.product.device, ro.product.board, etc all have properly assigned values for the latest OTA.

P.S. Just re-read your post and realized you said build.props are your thing so you probably already knew all the above.
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
Search tags for this page
android build fingerprint
build fingerprint
build fingerprint android
build fingerprint user release keys
change android fingerprint
change user test key to release key in android ro.build.fing
changing android fingerprint
edit ro build fingerprint
how to build android finger print
release-keys build finger