Bugless Beast Vs. VZW 2.1 Update 3/18/10

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by pwilks24, Mar 17, 2010.

1. pwilks24

pwilks24 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm debating whether or not to install bugless beast or just run the vzw update and exactly what are the differences, what's the point of overclock, I really just want other people's opinions. I'm a droid noob and don't slam me if this forum has already been created. Thanks in advance!

2. Darkseider

Darkseider Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well there are a couple of things. BB (ESE53) is very stable and aside from the ability to OC you have some other niceties. You have the ability to tether if in a pinch. You an also theme it and run custom kernels (non-OC but low voltage). Plus having the ability to basically do with your phone what YOU want. I am not saying that staying with the factory loads is a bad thing it just depends on how much you want to tweak your phone to YOUR liking.

3. pwilks24

pwilks24 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I want to do things with my phone and having flash is something also that I would like. Will the vzw update have flash or does BB have flash by chance? Also as far as OC could BB run faster than the stock update?

4. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +4
    No it will not have flash but it does have a radio update.

5. Humpa

Humpa Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Any of these custom rom's with ese53 are going to run just like the official ese53. They are basically the offical ese53. The dev's are not rebuilding these rom's, they just "package" them up. They spend a lot of time skinning various apk's and then writing detailed install scripts that give you all sorts of options (basically which extra third party apps to install, which default apk's to not install, which theme to use, and that's about it).

So, no, nothing has flash. There is no flash yet. Expect flash to be in the next release of Android, which is froyo and a froyo build is already being tested by VZW on the Droid (no, i have no inside knowledge of what at all is on froyo).

And yes, of course an OC'd ese53 is faster than a non-OC'd ese53. :D

EDIT: though as adrynalyne pointed out, the only way to get the radio that is on the official ese53 is to use the spf file of the ese53 and flash your Droid. Then you will have the newer radio, and it will stay even if you then go and install one of the custom ese53 rom's. You can't flash the radio with nandroid or the recovery - only via the sbf monster flash file.

6. toddegreene

toddegreene Member

Ratings:
    +0
    There is no Flash in this update. Flash is an Adobe product and will be released separately (now they'll make a fool of me and bundle it). Processor intensive apps will benefit from OCing, but mostly you'll notice apps opening faster and a smooth browser.

We won't know if 2.1 is rootable until the devs get their hands on the release version. If you haven't spent some time researching rooting and don't feel comfortable with it you should probably skip it and go with the OTA. However, DMUpdater is a painless way for anyone to root their phone (it's just a couple clicks and a checkbox). You don't even have to install a ROM at that point. When DMUpdater roots you, it will block OTAs and maybe give you more time to research your path. It also allows for a quick unroot if you decide you want the OTA after all. That should give something to think about.

7. pwilks24

pwilks24 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I pretty much just want my droid to run smoothly with little to no lag. I'm also gettin tired of lookin at this damn white/grayish notfication bar! Lol but I did see a few youtube videos with a smoke glass look and I liked the way their phones were runnin. I believe the droid users were runnin BB 2.1 and their droid was clock at 1 Ghz. So I right about now I'm interested in installing BB but I need to find a how to for noobs. Are there any links you know of that are out yet? Thank you for all of the information!

8. choklitcow

choklitcow Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I love their build names. I actually cracked a joke that it would be Frogurt during our current Eclair testing. I wonder what G will be?

9. adrynalyne

Ratings:
    +4

Gelato. I'm calling it. :)

10. jamuka

jamuka New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Frogurt!!?? that's an awesome Lost reference (if that's how you meant it.)

11. haythem1992

haythem1992 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    prolly a noob question, but what does a radio update do

12. pwilks24

pwilks24 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I wanted to ask that question too haythem but I didn't wanna get slammed for it! Lol

13. yourhero88

yourhero88 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Bugless still has 5 screens, so until updating to official becomes necessary for flash, I'm stickin' with my man Pete!

14. adrynalyne

Ratings:
    +4
    I wouldn't worry about getting slammed about it. Im sure more than a few have questions on that.

The radio update addresses the firmware that controls the CDMA radio, which is used to make/receive calls, as well as data. This can lead to better call quality, better signal, and better battery. Which does this address?

*shrug*

15. pwilks24

pwilks24 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    As far as installing BB how long does it take and is there a forum on here on directions for installing the software?