Bugless Beast V1.1 @1.25Ghz w/JIT Enabled

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by BayouFlyFisher, Feb 25, 2010.

1. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +17
    I’ve been running Bugless Beast roms since the end of January. When 7.7 came out with JIT enabled and Live Wallpapers, most people had trouble with reboots and FC’s. I did not. It was rock solid on my Droid and very fast. My lowest Setcpu Benchmark was a solid 119. After reading weeks and weeks worth of posts here and on alldroid, I decided that the reason JIT worked on my Droid was because I have operated with Animations off for a long time. I just liked the way the screens snapped open and closed with animations off.

Everything that follows is all based on work done by t3hSteve. Here’s his description of the process: He rebuilt the file dalvikvm with JIT defined “and then copied libnativehelper, libdvm, and dalvikvm to my phone. Added "dalvik.vm.execution-mode=int:jit" to build.prop and rebooted”. After reading that short post, I started reading and googling until I learned how to do the same using his modified dalvikvm file. After reading (AllDroid - View topic - JIT for Droid ) and learning that some folks that are running JIT are still having problems with browsers closing and with some force closes. I, on the other hand, knew that JIT had run well on my Droid with BB7.7. After all the reading, I was more convinced than ever that having Animations turned off was a key to successful operation with JIT. I have no technical reasons to support this position other than it seems that a lot, not all, but a lot of people that are having problems with JIT enabled are also mentioning how much they like Live Wallpapers. So taking those two tenuous data points (1. My Droid ran fine with 7.7 and JIT enabled and 2. I have animations turned off and most folks obviously do not due to the fascination with Live Wallpapers.) I decided to go for it. I then enabled JIT on my droid.

The results are pretty good so far. Before enabling JIT I would mostly get 159 - 179ms benchmarks. With JIT enabled I’m getting at lot of reading in the 130 - 150 range. I downloaded Linpack and promptly started getting readings in the 11’s. My best so far is 11.924 Mflops/s. So far so good. I’ve had absolutely no issues at this point. I’ve been running with JIT enabled for about 4 hours so far. It’s hard to operate the Droid and type with my fingers crossed. :)

2. droid d'oh

droid d'oh Member

Ratings:
    +0
    THAT....IS.....AMAZING. Can you post a nandroid backup of your rom?

3. BayouFlyFisher

Ratings:
    +17
    Well, I certainly don't mind doing that, but I don't have a site to upload it to. I'll look into that tomorrow.

Also, I would strongly suggest that you wait and let me get some mileage on this setup before you jump on it. It's all still very new.

I can provide you with a step-by-step if you want. It's not hard or really even very technical.

4. johall07

johall07 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i wouldnt mind seeing this if you were going to write it up

5. BayouFlyFisher

Ratings:
    +17
    I used a couple of different guides from alldroid. All required me to do a good bit of research as they assume knowledge that I did not have. I made good notes as I went along and will get those notes cleaned up tomorrow morning and post them. My fear is though that being as inexperienced as I am, there may be errors. I'll proof them hard and post them for everyone's review. But I would suggest not using them for a while so the experts can look them over and hopefully spot any rooky mistakes/errors I made in the instructions.

I can say that right now, I'm very excited about this. I am a self-confessed benchmark, and now linpack, junky. I can sit here for minutes and minutes just pushing the button for a new test. (I'm easily entertained!!).

6. johall07

johall07 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    yea i wasnt going to try it im pretty much a noob now i just wanted to try and get a better understanding of what you did/whats going on with it

7. nphil

nphil Member

Ratings:
    +0
    yeah I tried it @600 mhz a while back, seemed to work fine. Highly unstable at higher clockspeeds for me though, not sure why. Did it by modifying and pushing dalvikvm + other files.

Apart from higher benchmarks, I didn't really see any other benefits. Homescreens swiped the same way, windows opened and closed the same way, so meh. Now I just run at 1ghz, might go back to stock with JIT enabled if my heat issues persist.

BTW, if anyone wants to enable JIT the easy way now, download droidrootpro off market, pretty nifty app - all you have to do is a press a button to enable, another to disable.

EDIT: It is my understanding that the dalvikvm is mainly used as a vm for java based applications, (same way that java applets run on windows mobile and psp using a virtual machine), so that might explain why the benchmarks fared better. That's ofcourse assuming these benchmark apps were coded using the JDK and not android's NDK.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010