Bugless Beast V0.6.2.1 -vs- GPA12

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by stevengaa, Feb 27, 2011.

1. stevengaa

stevengaa New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello All,

Just some input currently running Bugless Beast V0.6.2.1 I'm having no issues. I'm also running Slayher's speed kernal 1.25ULV.

Well what I'm wondering is it worth reflashing to GPA12?
    From what I have read both roms seem to be about the same except for a few extras,
    but haven't seen anything that will make my droid work any better.

Pete has done just a great job with our Droids, and the rom of BB V0.6.2.1 has been one of his best that I ever used.

So with that being said could we compare the two?

Bugless Beast V0.6.2.1 vs GPA12

2. DHO

DHO Member

Ratings:
    +1
    BB 6.2.1 includes all of Pete's tweeks.

GPA12 is a stock Gingerbread ROM that Pete has complied from AOSP. It is stock without his tweeks.

3. GregNY

GregNY Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I flashed to gpa12 and ended up finding I was missing some of the features that Pete includes in his BB version of the builds. I ended up flashing back to 6.2.1. My suggestion would be to let the new gpa12 sit for awhile and have its problems sorted out fully when Pete releases a BB version. 6.2.1 is stable and fully functional and very much awesome imho and theres no reason to switch to something that has just a few cool things about it.

4. stevengaa

stevengaa New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well I'm surprised to see the quick replies I got to this thread.

I thought I would add some more feed back of my own.

I just did an upgrade to GPA12 and used Pete's kernel of 1.100LV found on his web page.

When I did some tests I found that the rom was missing a lot of extra features as mentioned above by GrgNY.

The most important one to me seemed to be the speed I was missing from the update. My Droid wouldn't let me run any of Pete's faster kernels; it went into a boot loop after wards when loading anything above Pete's 1.10GHzLV kernel.

So in return that was enough to put me back to BB v6.2.1.

Just my own experience.

5. johnnyb15613

johnnyb15613 Theme Developer
    Theme Developer

Ratings:
    +3
    My Droid was having serious heat and battery issues on 6.2.1
    I still ran it until the GPA's started rolling out.
    GPA12 runs super cool, and my battery life is amazing!
    I do miss Pete's tweaks though.
    Probably stick with it until a new BB drops.
    Lovin it Pete, you make my phone my favorite toy!

6. jbang917

jbang917 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What kind of things are people missing though... seems like everyone above is saying they are missing some of petes tweaks. Specifics maybe for the sake of comparison?

I am running GPA12 an loving it. Settled for one of petes kernels and have been running smooth and problem free since.

People having the heat issues and boot loop problems (I think pete addressed bootloops recently somewhere on the forum), a lot of people have just switched kernels and found that things have been just fine after that. One kernel may be beautiful for one person but not for the other. Everyones hardware will react different. So if you are having heat issues and what not try a couple different kernels.

7. SupAll

SupAll Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm, well, I'm currently coming to the conclusion that GPA12's features aren't worth what I gave up for in 6.2.1. GPS doesn't work half the time, redraws on ADW Launcher Ex are quite often, plenty of force closes, rare random reboots, and an often loss of cell signal. I've done several clean wipes in hopes that things would get better, but these issues persist. I just think Gingerbread is too much of a resource hog for my habits. :(

8. Skurvy_Pirate

Skurvy_Pirate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I seem to be getting much better battery life with GPA12. Also, there is a lot more free internal memory. I was constantly riding the 26-30mb free line on BBv0.6.2.1.

The only thing I noticeably miss is the adblocking, but I think I can figure out how to get that working in GPA12. I also made a transparent pulldown and changed the progress bar color back to green.

I was getting a lot of redraws on LauncherPro but I enabled compcache (which I have avoided using before due to it possibly causing slowdowns), and I haven't had one since. I am using Pete's 1gz kernel for GB.

9. KonArtiz

KonArtiz New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I for one went back to BB 0.6.2.1 - I tried GPA12, and i constantly was getting my phone hot. I tried running different kernels, even the ones that Pete built and it was still a issue. Don't get me wrong the rom is awesome but from what I read on different forums is that some of the apps are not compatible with gingerbread so some will overheat your phone or even set it off on bootloops(which it happen to me a few times). With that said, remember that the apps on our phones hasn't been updated to work on gingerbread so you'll get the constant overheat and bootloops, but this is what i have been reading around. it doesn't hurt to try the rom just remember to make a backup.

10. Newps

Newps Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I also tried GPA12. The simple fact of the matter is GB sucks on the D1. I've tried other GB ROM's too and not one of them holds a candle to a good Froyo ROM. You literally get nothing you don't already have.

11. mkjellgren

mkjellgren Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't quite say that...maybe GB sucks for YOU on the d1 but there are many people including myself for whom GB happens to run amazingly well. Not every build of course but not every froyo build runs well on every d1 either. Currently running pe5.0.2 and I can honestly say for me, with rz's 900mhz lv kernal, this rom smokes everything I've run in the course of over a year and probably close to 100 different roms and rom versions. GB's code doesn't suck, its just more memory intensive than froyo. Therefore, if you use a lot of widgets or apps that constantly run in the background, you will undoubtedly run into issues with apps closing prematurely, widgets not updating, homescreen redraws, etc. Once again, just because something doesn't run well for you doesn't mean it sucks. It just means it doesn't run well for you. Every Droid is different, the only way to find out what works best is to try everything

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

12. madduffy

madduffy New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I recommend trying it for yourself. It should be trivial to back up your current setup and flash GPA12 with ROM Manager.

I tried GPA12 for a day and ended up going back to BB. Tried a variety of kernels but wasn't getting the responsiveness I wanted from the phone. I didn't encounter any bugs, but it wasn't as nice an experience as 0.6.2.1