Bugless beast is absolutely amazing.

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by sbaker34, Feb 20, 2011.

1. sbaker34

sbaker34 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Seriously I do not know why It took me so long to check it out, I was assuming stock android with some tweaks but I am amazed, it came overclocked and it seems very snappy. A few questions though.

I have no idea what google talk even is so is there any way to change to say my SMS? that would be very convenient. If I left the overclocking at stock 125mhz-800mhz ondemand I am assuming it will idle at 125 in my pocket saving considerable battery life but what will it run at when playing with the phone? As in browsing the net while answering SMS and downloading something or otherwise multitasking.

A little unrelated but does this have any protection against viruses being a custom rom? If not then how badly will a antivirus program affect battery life and snappy app opening I am enjoying? any suggestions for the one that will eat the least battery and resources?

And finally will installing apps slow it down any? I would like to get 10-20 apps but I am wondering if they might slow it down just being installed on the phone?

2. hyperdude

hyperdude Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You can't customize the homescreen dock hotseats in the stock launcher, at least not with Bugless Beast, at this point. You'll need to download a third-party launcher (I recommend LauncherPro, but you could use ADW.Launcher, Zeam or any other launcher you find) to have such options.

For the overclocking, I'm not entirely certain of exactly what it will do but yes, when the screen is idling it should clock down to 125, and when you're using it it should ramp up to a max of 800MHz depending on how much you're using it (I think it's set by default to use the ondemand governor?)

This doesn't have an antivirus program built in, but you can certainly install one if you wish.

As far as installing apps (antivirus one included), honestly, having a lot of apps will slow any phone down, no matter what ROM you're running. Having 20 apps downloaded and installed won't really affect the speed of the phone as long as you're not running a lot of them at once. I have about 10-15 additional apps downloaded to my phone, and it doesn't affect its performance noticeably.

Basically, if you want to keep your phone snappy and keep a good battery life, just don't go around running several apps at once, downloading stuff/data or streaming video all the time, and you should be good :D

3. hett

hett Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Google Talk is Google's IM service that functions via Google account rather than a screen name. In this respect it functions like Blackberry Messenger in that it can be used to talk to other people with Android devices, just add their gmail account to your buddy list and they will receive the request. However it is also more versatile than BBM because it will also allow you to chat with people who have GMail open on their PCs, or who use GTalk for desktop IMs.

4. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +17
    You've gotten some good advice in the prior responses. I will add that I strongly suggest you not install any anti-virus app. When we encounter a phone with mysterious issues, the first thing we do is ask two questions: 1) Do you have a task killer installed (uninstall if you do) and 2) Do you have an anti-virus app installed (uninstall if you do). These two type of apps have generated more grieve than anything else I can think of.

One thing I do suggest for keeping your phone tuned up good is to simply power it down and back on once every day or two.

Good luck and enjoy the Beast!!:)

5. Bobbar

Bobbar Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, definitely stay away from the anti-virus apps. They are a rip-off, as of right now, in both value and performance.