bugless beast help

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by sik, Feb 4, 2010.

1. sik

sik Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok very new to this i just rooted tonight and did the sprecovery...and did a simple backup then went to AllDroid - View topic - [ROM] Bugless Beast V0.7.4 (Maps Update Available) and downloaded the update.zip and installed that i have the 5 screens now but do i have to more?? the nandroid backup to get the rest??? i downloaded that and extracted it and now i have 4 files 1 is a system.rar , boot image, date.rar and nandroid.md5 and in my nandroid folder on sd card i already have them are these new ones? do i replace the new ones or create a seperate folder for these im lost and losing it.. Thanks
  2. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

Fort Huachuca, AZ (Originally from Pittsburgh, PA)
    Ratings:
    +0
    read the links in my signature.
  3. mrnelson86

mrnelson86 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You do either the update.zip or the nandroid install. Not both
  4. sik

sik Member

Ratings:
    +0
    well i did both and it seems right lol except im missing all my apps i did a simple backup of them before how do i get them back now or can i?
  5. sik

sik Member

Ratings:
    +0
    and i have no icons what so ever on any of the home screens is this normal??? and matth3w i looked at ur links and seems alot more confusing than the newest bb update it seems to come with alot of stuff your wanting me to download....like the setcpu and tethering i have all of that just no icons and every app i had is gone love how fast it is and im so glad i did this so far...i think i did it right.
  6. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If you actually read those threads you would know you didn't need those things.
  7. sik

sik Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ok matt i didnt do it ur way i did the way i posted...which tells me to wipe date/cache and now im missing my apps am i able to just restore my apps from the simple backup i did with sprec....i know your the man but your just tellin me what you want to not helping the current situation.
  8. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was just letting you know. It's a pet peeve of mine when someone says they read something but you can tell they actually haven't.

As for your no icons etc, that is because Nandroid restores, unless done in a specific way, do not backup your previous apps and data. You either need a third party app to do so, or do a somewhat effective way of backing up the data on a backup, restoring to the new ROM via restore, then restoring AGAIN with just data from your original backup.

You could try doing a simple restore from your simple backup restoring only data, but not sure how much it is going to actually recover.
  9. sik

sik Member

Ratings:
    +0
    alright matt i just read your links very usefull had i seen that before it would have been easier because i did do both the update.zip and just updated from sprecovery but when it was done it didnt have everything for some reason...so then i figured oh i need to do the nandroid backup which seems to have done everything....so on your after your root the stock theme update (trying to understand) is just a simple update to get teh stock theme back while keeping the original BB? and for every rom that comes out you either do the update.zip or nandroid way?
  10. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes to the last question for sure, but to be honest (and not trying to be rude) I have a hard time understanding your posts because you don't use a lot of punctuation and have run on/incomplete sentences. So there are multiple questions or statements (not sure which sometimes) per each segment which is hard to understand...I have ADD and I get lost like halfway in and start skimming. I realize you're probably typing on your phone and I'm probably tired and ready for bed, so I will have to take a look at this tomorrow sometime if someone doesn't help you out before then.

It seems like you have the steps set pretty well in your head, just not sure if you are conveying them well enough for me to get it after I've been up for most of the day. sorry.
  11. mjs31

mjs31 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Any new rom updates for beast should be done with update.zip if you use nandroid you will again wipe everything. Update.zip should not wipe any of your apps. Now if you want to go back to stock you have different options depending on if you want to stay rooted or not. There are some posts nd Roms for doing it both ways on these forums.
    With update.zip remember to select install and then select allow update.zip (or something like that) before updating. You will know if you miss it because you will get an error. Not a big deal if you forget since you can just go up, allow it and then install again. Once install is successful you just hit the top button one time and select reboot.
  12. mrnelson86

mrnelson86 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Some basic rules for installing BB are as follows

1. A nandroid install wipes your cpu completely and installs BB only, none of your previous data, settings, apps, etc. will be saved.

2. An update.zip install updates your current system with as many of the new features as possible. Some are not transferred 100% of the time, it is dependent on your past configuration and ROM. Theoretically if you had BB before and update it to a newer version of BB using update.zip, then there should be no problems and everything should carry over.

3. The only way to keep your apps and SOME of your data, not all - for a nandroid backup - is to make backups of your apps using Astro and other applications that back up your data, save it to your SD card or PC, and restore them after you complete the nandroid install.
  13. sik

sik Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for all the help..much appreciated...I did do the update.zip first coming from just 2.0.1 with root and sprecovery and after it was done i still had all my apps but the cpu and the new 2.1 features werent on there so i figured i had to do both which finding out i shouldnt of had to do. My question is when i did the update.zip why didnt it bring like anything over? it did bring over the black middle button to look at your apps but i didnt see anything else so thats what made me think i had to then do the nandroid.
  14. sdt1212

sdt1212 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I had 2.1 installed and then installed BB. Everything came up fine but when i go out to the market and try to reinstall my apps it doesnt download them. it stays in the starting download proccess. my internet works fine both 3g and wifi. i can look at all the apps on the market i just cant download them. tried a battery pull and still nothing.
    have you heard of this issue before?
  15. sik

sik Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same problem after going from 2.0.1 to the BEAST! it would just sit there i just powered the phone down and back on and is working fine for me