Bugless Beast 950mHz...no speed difference?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Matth3w, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

Fort Huachuca, AZ (Originally from Pittsburgh, PA)
    I really don't notice a difference. Everything is great, it just isn't lightning fast like people say. Could this be due to using the update.zip each time instead of the "fresh" nandroid backup?

I'd like to write and link a guide from my update.zip guide (in my sig) about installing using nandroid backup, but no one seems to have a good answer about keeping your apps, settings, and data. someone said only back up everything but data when doing the restore, but that the developer put the apps and stuff in the wrong folder so that way won't work?

Sounds stupid...but I'd like to try it this way to a) see if it speeds things up and b) so I can get familiar enough with doing it this way to create a guide.
  2. mrnelson86

mrnelson86 New Member

I'm planning on doing a fresh install, it seems slower on my Droid than on my fiance's Droid (she has less apps and I had a sholes ROM installed before BB, she didn't) so I'm thinking a nandroid install might do the trick on mine as well... I'm also curious as to how to save your apps and data from right now and restoring it after a nandroid...wouldn't it work to do a nandroid backup right now, fresh nandroid install BB, and then do a DATA ONLY nandroid restore from what I just backed up? Sorry if that is difficult to read, hard to word what I'm trying to say...
  3. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

4. mrnelson86

mrnelson86 New Member

I am not sure that thread is entirely true... If it is, and I'm wrong, then that's fine I can admit it if someone can prove to me, but originally when I rooted, I installed a sholes rom, and the process of installing that had me use a virgin_oem nandroid restore which I am almost positive cleared all my data from the phone, and then after the installation of the sholes rom, I restored data only from my original backup before root, and it kept all my apps, texts, e-mails, data files, etc. so unless it is just something completely different from that in BB, if you restore AFTER the full install of BB, then I THINK it will work the same way.

Like I said, if anyone can provide some insight into this matter that is fine, I am going off of what I did before and what I will be trying tonight after I can use a CPU that can extract .rar files (I'm at work I can't download winRAR and I haven't found a way to extract a .rar file from a Droid alone)
  5. 1033

1033 New Member

Ive been update.zip'ing my way from stock->sholes 1.1->bb 7.1->bb 7.4 and it works great. Using setcpu widget set your clock to 550 and run through your home screens (fill em with widgets), then set it at 950 and slide through them.... if its doesn't seem as smooth as an iWhatever you may have done something wrong.
  6. mrnelson86

mrnelson86 New Member

I suppose I could be reading too much into this OC'ing than it is worth. People saying words like "night and day," and "puts stock to shame" to me means something fantastic. I notice a speed increase, but it is nowhere near worthy of saying those things about it, at least to me.

I'm fairly certain that doing a fresh install from nandroid may fix my issue though, because I did the same EXACT steps on my fiance's phone, did it myself, and hers does seem to run faster and cooler than mine does.

I don't know, I'm definitely glad I did it, but it isn't quite as seamless as I would like it to be, especially since everyone else is saying that it should be absolutely seamless....
  7. Canefan

Canefan New Member

I initially installed each version using the update.zip method and for this latest one (0.7.4) I bit the bullet and did the full Nandroid restore. The Nandroid method without question resulted in a faster/snappier feel. Totally different. The update.zips also don't give you all the features/apps that the Nandroid does. This is really a very fast and great ROM.
  8. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

That is completely not true. The update.ZIP doesn't DELETE things. It doesn't not offer as many features
  9. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

The update.zip is meant to allow you to keep your programs. That's why Pete has the two different methods. It's worked great for me. But you could always try the nanodroid method (i.e. complete wipe and install) if the update isn't working correctly.

As to the speed be sure to go into SetCPU and get it configured properly. Also change the "CPU Governor" to "performance" I've noticed that (as of the latest update) any other setting seems to throttle it back.

From within SetCPU alone the Benchmark score should go from high 400s to high 200s at 800Mhz. 900Mhz will take it to mid 200s. Same results for other benchmarks (i.e. 900Mhz is really that much better than 800Mhz, IMHO). I have def noticed a difference in screen load times and other basic tasks. Everything is 'smoother' but I would say it's "night and day" or anything spectacular. But it is noticeable. You may also want to grab one of the other kernel to see if that makes a difference:
    AllDroid - View topic - Droid is stable at 800MHz. Nuff said *950MHz, 1.1GHz added*
    You'll notice again the biggest jump is to 800Mhz from stock, 950 doesn't seem to make that much more difference, I'm personally sticking at 800 as to not shorten my chips lifespan too much (just to be safe).

Remember that in ANY computer there can be good amount of difference/variance in performance from the CPU(s) and other components. Chips are only tested to meet 'minimal' standards so in a typical batch there will be a % that are 'faster' these chips will naturally perform even better when overclocked. Also even the ability and tolerance of a chip to withstand overclocking can very WIDELY from chip to chip within a batch. Anyone that has spent time OC computers has learned that the hard way:mad:....
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  10. Canefan

Canefan New Member

Read thru the threads. There are many users that are saying that they don't have certain features that others do. Some phones home screens switch in landscape, others don't. Some have tethering included, others don't. I think that if you applied each update.zip in sequence starting at the beginning then perhaps you end up with the same result. However, if one was skipped like going from 0.7.2 to 0.7.4 like I did, then you are definitely going to be missing some stuff. I didn't want to apply 0.7.3 because people seemed to be reporting alot of FCs and such. I did not have tethering installed and my homescreen still switched in landscape when I went from 0.7.2 to 0.7.4 using update.zip. The Nandroid 0.7.4 gave me all of the latest features including tethering and no landscape switch on homescreen :icon_ banana:
  11. magnus

magnus New Member

Finally!!!!! An answer to a huge question I've been having......What EXACTLy is the difference between an update.zip installation and a nandroid installation.

I did BB7.2 and 7.4 just like canefan.....via update.zip. I do feel like my stock 2.01 droid was pretty snappy.....But at 950, I'm snappier.......but maybe by about 20% (by my qualitative reckoning).....The thing is now....my 550 feels about 10-15% worse than my 550 2.01 stock.

I'm getting in the mid to low 200s for set CPU benchmark.......but only about ~ 7 Mflops at 950!

I may have to do a nandroid install......esp now that *****ing Baegel is out......But I'm unsure of what exactly I lose. To me it sounds like I get a factory reset droid and I need to install apps and set up my homescreen and widgets again...so I'm hesitant to do it until I get a larger block of time......

What exactly is the truth with a nandroid restore of /data. Can you do a full nanrdroid flash of the ROM and then do a flash of /data from a previous back up to get all your apps and settings?

Thanks for all the answers so far....I'll be staying tuned!

Btw...I see a lot of familiar usernames from Android forums and alldroid! Makes me feel right at home!
    :)
  12. mrnelson86

mrnelson86 New Member

This is exactly what I want to know, and I will find out this evening probably unless i don't have time to do it...I'm determined to find out if it works or not just for my peace of mind and at this point I'm willing to reinstall all of my apps (though that would suck...but ya gotta do what ya gotta do, I should get started making a list I suppose)
  13. TekHawk

TekHawk New Member

astro makes reinstalling pretty easy i went with the nan droid back up and have to say that BB + 950 "staying with 800 for peace of mind" seems much faster then it did on release day and the only FC i had was with droid swap running which is now removed
  14. magnus

magnus New Member

Yeah I'll probably use the Astro back up along with the Apps organizer back up and with that....hopefully all I'll need to set up is my home screen shortcuts and widgets.
  15. mrnelson86

mrnelson86 New Member

I can't believe I forgot about astro backups
  16. TekHawk

TekHawk New Member

Apps organizer + astro = win lol
  17. Flomaster

Flomaster Premium Member Premium Member

so doing a wipe will erase every thing on my droid, but if I have my apps backed up via Astro I can just install them that way correct?
    what exactly will Apps organizer doe for me?

-=Jason=-
  18. magnus

magnus New Member

Apps organizer does exactly the same thing that a folder does.....except the iceon does not have to be that of a folder but any icon

But it also has a handy back up function where if you put shortcuts to apps in one folder.....you can back up those prefernces.

Then after you restore....all you need to do is create the shortcut to the category on the desktop ...not categorize all of your apps again
  19. TekHawk

TekHawk New Member

app orginzer also makes it easier for you to set up your screens if you use more then one home app or like to try new ones, and it bypasses a folder bug on home++ main reason i use it
  20. mrnelson86

mrnelson86 New Member

Well I did the nandroid clean install, the difference is seriously 30-40% better than it was after using the update.zip installs (all 3 of them from previous versions on top of each other). It is so much quicker than it was before...I am still getting everything set up and I haven't checked my temperature yet, but it is so much faster...

Sadly, you lose all your preferences (auto login to google account, preferences on some of the apps) but it is definitely worth it...installing all my old apps via astro now and importing appsorganizer settings as well