1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Bugless Beast 0.7.6 unstable at 1.2Ghz

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Se7enLC, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

I got myself into a reboot loop when I had BB 0.7.6 at 1.2Ghz. I caused it by going into Market and clicking "update" on all the apps that had updates available. I was up to about 4 downloading/installing at the same time when the phone just up and rebooted on me. When it came back up, just trying to get into the apps list to change the max frequency in SetCPU caused another reboot. I plugged it in so that profiles would clock it down to 500 then let it sit for awhile, and I was eventually able to set the max speed to be 1000Mhz.

So in case anyone was curious - 1.2Ghz is fun to play with, but not reliable enough to actually use (for me anyway, YMMV)
  2. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

Yeah mine wasn't stable either that high with this rom
  3. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad

Thankfully mine is stable at 1.2. This is the first rom/kernel that has let me run at anything over 1.0. I'm a happy camper right now. :icon_ banana:
  4. elegalr1der

elegalr1der New Member

Had the same problem last night, I was downloading an app and the phone just froze. Had to do a battery pull. That's been the only issue though
  5. BayouFlyFisher

Your title for this thread is really not accurate. Bugless Beast 7.6 is stable at 1.2 for the vast majority of people. From reading this board and most of the others, I would say that it's less than 1% (and that determination was arrived at after I had my eyes calibrated to read accurate down to less than 0.05% :)) This thread should have been titled: Bugless Beast 7.6 Unstable at 1.2 Ghz on My Droid
  6. NoKz

NoKz New Member

Mine is rock solid. No reboots or a single FC. :icon_ banana:
  7. WyldRyce

WyldRyce New Member

Mine runs great at 1.2Ghz as well. Only FC I get are from Beautiful Widget every now and then.
  8. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

I would challenge that statistic.

1). I don't think many people are even running at 1.2Ghz, yet, so it's a very small sample set.

2). I don't think people are really fully testing for stability. It might be stable on phone calls or light browsing, but not so much when it's fully loaded.

3). People tend to overestimate their stability. "Really stable except for some reboots" means unstable. "Stable except for force closes" means unstable. "Stable except when I do X" means unstable.

4). People also tend to ignore crashes and reboots and blame them on something that they did wrong. The phone should NEVER crash or reboot no matter what buttons you press if it's really stable. You should be able to open up all the apps you want.

I don't mean to say that the phone can't run at 1.2Ghz, and I don't mean that it's so unstable that it will immediately crash, it's just not reliable.

Here's a test you can try. Try using SetCPU to set your phone at a max AND min of 1.2Ghz and start doing some market updates and tell me it doesn't reboot. Unless it is staying at 1.2Ghz for an extended period while under full load, it's not a real test of the processor.
  9. ViciousCircle

ViciousCircle Android Addict Premium Member

I'd mostly agree with what you said above, with one exception. FC's don't necessarily point to the overclock, that could also be bad coding or an app problem of some sort. I've gotten FC's in some apps whether I was overclocked or not.
  10. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

True - I should specify that I mean the "real" force close - the kind where you are using an app and it crashes, not the kind that has the option to wait. The kind that lets you wait isn't a crash, it's just an app that is slow to respond, likely due to other background apps.
  11. windmeup

windmeup New Member

Mine has been perfectly stable at 1.2 GHz using BB 7.6 and I'm glad.

On sholes it was unbearable. I woke up one morning and had 3 FC'd apps when my alarm went off. I hda to FC all three just to get to my alarm to turn it off.
  12. BayouFlyFisher

I will stick with my earlier post, you should have referenced you phone in the title. This rom is stable on the vast majority of phones. Again I will say, our phones are all so different (manufacturing difference, assembly differences, different apps loaded, different settings, etc.) it's a wonder these custom roms do as well as they do. Anyway, to each his own and you are certainly entitled to your opinion and your definition of "Stable and Reliable". I sure hope you enjoy your Droid as much I do mine. :icon_ banana:

Isn't this a wonderful forum?
  13. DigiK

DigiK New Member

Incredibly stable testing at 1.2/1.2. Complete display performance parity with iPhone has been achieved. :icon_ devil:
  14. Techenigma

Techenigma New Member

I have my setCPU set exactly like that. I have always run it at full speed formerly at 1 Ghz, then 1.1 Ghz, and now 1.2 Ghz. Yes set at both maximum, and minimum and I run stable with no force closes, no lag, no reboots, nothing at all. I truly do benchmark it, i.e running music in the background, and loading up robodefense playing in fast mode, on level 82 which is very cpu, and GPU intensive. Tempmonitor during all that reports 51C on my OMAP temp sensor, so that processor is working like crazy. I assure you it is very stable.

I'm not arguing with anyone here, but yes it is true few people are likely running their phones like this. Most fear that down the road their processor is going to spontaneously combust or something. But I'll keep pushing this thing until I find where its limits truly do lie.

p.s - I'm sure 2 years down the road when I finally trade up phones again, this one will still be running like a champ.
  15. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

You are a very lucky individual, indeed.

I just want to add to this thread that I managed to get it to reboot at 1.0Ghz now, as well. Ironically, it was done while posting to this forum using the on-screen keyboard. I've turned it down to 800Mhz and haven't had a problem since. I don't know why there isn't a speed between 800 and 1000 in any of the newer rom kernels yet, but hopefully they decide to put those back in soon - 1.2 is nice for showing off, but 900-950 or so was a good comfortable max speed for me before that slot was removed from bugless beast.

I should also add that I have the Body Glove case. I'm sure that hurts heat dissipation quite a bit.