bugless 0.4 to sapphire - backups etc

bigillz

Reaction score
Wanting to switch from BB .4 to Sapphire, mainly for the better h264 library.

What's the recommended, most painless route for backing everything up and restoring? Titanium backup of everything but google apps, then install just titanium from market and restore? I saw a few different devs (bugless included) working on a more direct backup/restore procedure before a wipe/flash.

What's the best route?

Thanks!

OP
B

bigillz

Reaction score
TB should work just fine.

Sent from my Droid

Any apps besides the google ones I should skip and reinstall directly? Facebook? Should I skip the initial google account setup on first boot and just restore, so the initial sync doesn't create duplicate contacts? Do I need to reinstall swype or does TB handle that?

Thanks for the quick response.

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score

Sent from my Droid

Any apps besides the google ones I should skip and reinstall directly? Facebook? Should I skip the initial google account setup on first boot and just restore, so the initial sync doesn't create duplicate contacts? Do I need to reinstall swype or does TB handle that?

Let the google backup mechanism restore apps, then use your TB backups to restore whatever is missing.

OP
B

bigillz

Reaction score

Sent from my Droid

Let the google backup mechanism restore apps, then use your TB backups to restore whatever is missing.

When I went 2.1 to 2.2, Google didn't restore crap. I used that MyBackup deal to get most things back. Market only listed my paid downloads, none of the free stuff (and very few of my apps are paid).

Alright, sounds like some form of Titanium/Google is the right way to go. I'll just cross my fingers.

Cheers!

searayman

Reaction score
I use launcherpro which backups how my home screens are set up so no matter what roms i go to they are all the same set up. Just saves a lot of time

OP
B

bigillz

Reaction score
mostly back up and running, took 30-45 mins of reloading crap and reconfiguring a few things. TitaniumBackup worked well.

Current issue - google sync icon has been up for like 3 hours ... any way to get insight into what it is trying to sync?

Reaction score
If I had to guess: applications. If your connection isn't great, it can take lots of time to DL 30 applications. And I think it's all done in the background.

If you're worried, turn sync off and back on.

OP
B

bigillz

Reaction score
If I had to guess: applications. If your connection isn't great, it can take lots of time to DL 30 applications. And I think it's all done in the background.

If you're worried, turn sync off and back on.

Nah, all apps either redownloaded or restored by Titanium Backup. Still going strong with sync after stopping/starting it (thanks, forgot I could do that).

Will put it on wifi and plugged in overnight, post a new thread if it's still under the impression it's syncing in the morning.

bgill55

Silver Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I like tor screen name is your last name Gill?

Sent from my Droid

OP
B

bigillz

Reaction score
I like tor screen name is your last name Gill?

Sent from my Droid

Hahah no, and not bi. Bi-Gill-z? Nah. Known as 'illz' (originally shortened by friends from the also oft-taken 'illuzion' in early efnet IRC, ansi/ascii/rip art, etc scenes) since '94-ish but that name is randomly taken - since I'm a giant body builder dude I've been tacking on the 'big' since it's usually available. Odd to be a professional developer/programmer/designer/project manager of 14 years and be regularly mistaken as a football player. Don't quite fit the mold but the 'presence' is priceless in business dealings.

That said - any insight on the perpetual sync? Phone is charging and on wi-fi - gone into settings and individually enabled/cancelled/disabled/re-enabled every sync option under google and facebook (the only 2 showing "activity") to no avail (multiple reboots included) - still seeming to drain battery and show the syncing status icon for all those. Confirmed, for example, that all picasa albums are synced, all contacts are synced, all gmail is synced, don't see the active sync icon next to the individual items, but the main status bar sync icon is still up and fb/google accts have the green icon by them in the list.

Suppose this is a departure from the main thread topic so might create a new one, but since you responded... any help?

Last edited: