Bugged by texts over 160 characters getting cut into several textst? Check this out!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
This is a brand new FREE app that I just found out about today. It's simply clever. The developer applied a compression algorhythm to the standard SMS texting and created a plug-in to SMS on the Android OS that makes long texts (450 characters or more) into one that fits in just one 160 character text. This does require both parties to have it installed but it's so small and runs completely in the background that once installed you'll forget you have it. It's essentially a zip file compression for texting. It runs completely on its own with no additional user-input.

KyshMysh

Check out their promo YouTube video here: KyshMysh App Promotional Video - YouTube

I sent myself a text of over 400 characters, it compressed it to about 130, sent it, and I received one text of those 130+ characters, which then automatically uncompressed back to the original over 400 characters, word for word, letter for letter, punctuation complete.

You folks know I am not one for jumping on the marketing bandwagon but I am simply inspired by its ingenuity. Let me know what you think. If you want, send me a PM and I'll send you my number for texting. Let's put this to the test.

(P.S. sorry about the mis-spelling in the subject, no way to edit it :frown:)

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sound cool, but most people (besides my family) that I text are either dumb-phones or iphones. :(
So both parties needing it is a downfall.

----posted maxx'ed out----

OP
FoxKat

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sound cool, but most people (besides my family) that I text are either dumb-phones or iphones. :(
So both parties needing it is a downfall.

----posted maxx'ed out----

True, but for Android to Android, it's pretty fly.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

SallyC

Reaction score
Go SMS Pro has that option in the Send Settings. It also is free. I don't see anything about the other party needing the app installed, but maybe someone else knows.

Natey2

Reaction score
Google Voice texting does not have this 160-character limitation when sending to textPlus.
But sending from textPlus to GoogleVoice causes the long message to be split.

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
FoxKat

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Voice texting does not have this 160-character limitation when sending to textPlus.
But sending from textPlus to GoogleVoice causes the long message to be split.

I am not familiar with either TextPlus or the parameters of texting via GoogleVoice, and I may be going out on a limb here...but doesn't at least GoogleVoice require a data connection to send texts? If so, does TextPlus also? How about SMS Pro? In other words, these are essentially a "text over IP" concept.

I guess what I am trying to say here is, this app is a plug-in for the existing messaging tool for Android and since it isn't a communication app itself, it doesn't require an active data connection to work, since standard SMS texts are sent over cellular. This means, just like in any other case when you deactivate data (such as to conserve battery while the phone is at rest), or if data is lost in a particular area, this app will still receive texts (through your existing phone number), where any other app that requires data to communicate will not.

I am open to any rebuttal.

Last edited:

Natey2

Reaction score
In other words, these are essentially a "text over IP" concept.

Yes, for GV and textPlus. Not sure about SMS Pro.
I'm not about to pay an additional $5 to $20 per month to Verizon for texting over their cellular network when I can do the same over their data network which I already pay for.