1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Browsing with Atrix "4G" slower than D1 3G

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by yiannis, Mar 17, 2011.

1. yiannis

yiannis New Member

People's obsession with the speedtest.net application is I think missing the fact that their speeds are often not the major factor deciding how fast the webpage loads.

These tests have been conducted in parallel in the same area:

My D1 @800 Mhz speedtest average: ~700kbps
    Colleague's Dx stock: ~1.5kbps
    Colleague's Atrix stock: ~1.4kbps

Real web-browsing results for many websites (nytimes, huffingtonpost, drudgerepport, in.gr, timesofindia.com, espn.com) and many others:

If we set the fastest experience to 100% here are the results:

Dx Stock ROM and browser: 100%
    D1 BB 0.6.2 and xScope Pro browser: 90%
    Atrix stock ROM and browser:60%

These may be perceived changes but the differences on many webpages in the course of 4 days inside a large building in Baltimore, MD, were painfully consistent.

"Painfully" because of this dialog with the colleague who asked for advice 10 days ago:

Colleague: Which do you think is the best phone coming in the next two weeks:
    Me: Atrix, no question
    Me: However, it is on AT&T so if I were you I would wait go to their store and test it when it arrives
    Colleague: It's not a problem I already have AT&T and they're good
    Me: Well its specifications are amazing but the best phones will come in Q2 and Q3 of this year if you can wait for a few months

Ouch!
  2. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

LTE blows it all away. I'm interested to see real world tests, but besides being supposedly 2X as fast as Sprint WiMax and 3-4X as fast as HSPA+, it also penetrates buildings better (horizontally and vertically).

This is one time I'm definitely go to take advantage of the 14-day trial period. If I get the gains I expect (my 3G is terribly slow and inconsistent, not to mention the D1 is just too underpowered) it will be worth it to pay retail.