Browsing internet while in a call? Possible?

jea2004

Reaction score
Hey all. Sorry if this has been asked before, but I've been reading the forums for a while and haven't seen this come up. I was on a call yesterday and put the person on speakerphone because I felt like playing on the internet while talking. The glitch was my 3g was gone, and only reappeared after I hung up the call. Is there a way around this (an app?). I am not willing to root, so please suggest an alternative method if there is one.

I know apple advertises on their commercials that they can do this; c'mon, Droid, I know you can do it!

GolfProRM

Reaction score
This isn't a limitation of the Droid - this is a limitation of Verizon's CDMA network. It doesn't allow for simultaneous voice and data over the network. As Cisco said, you can surf on wifi while on the phone, but that's the only option.

OP
J

jea2004

Reaction score
Thank you kindly, sir. And no workaround, with an app at all?

OP
J

jea2004

Reaction score
Maybe the next update will include this? Doubtful, I know.

G

gatewayad

Thank you kindly, sir. And no workaround, with an app at all?

That would be a no. Again it has to do with the CDMA network. Only with wifi can you do this.

And thats the fun part having a know it all friend with an itoy try and tell me i cant do that (in my house... with wifi)
ha. as he sat on my couch i called him surfed on the web and asked him what else he would like me to do

ShowTime

Reaction score

There is no update that can make this possible.

It has to do with the network type Verizon currently uses. No update to the phone's hardware or software, or any app will change the type of network the phone is on. We're stuck with this situation for the long haul.

jwd45244

Reaction score
If by update you mean software update, then no. If update you mean full network update then the answer is yeas. Once Verizon rolls out its upcoming LTE network you will be able to talk and surf at the same time.

The current Droid will not be able to use that network as it is not an LTE compatible phone.

You probably won't read this or understand this if you do read it as it is clear you did not bother to read any of the responses to your posts.

OP
J

jea2004

Reaction score
If by update you mean software update, then no. If update you mean full network update then the answer is yeas. Once Verizon rolls out its upcoming LTE network you will be able to talk and surf at the same time.

The current Droid will not be able to use that network as it is not an LTE compatible phone.

You probably won't read this or understand this if you do read it as it is clear you did not bother to read any of the responses to your posts.

Wow, contentious. I did respond several times on page one of this post to those who had offered replies to help me out. My apologies if my schedule precludes me from checking this thread until now. And I opted not to subscribe via email.

And I do understand what you are saying in general, though not in particulars. But that is of little consequence; I trust that you are correct.

So, thank you.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
For those unfamiliar with the differences between CDMA (VZW and Sprint) and GSM (almost everyone else in the world outside of the US and Iraq) technology, the following may help...

"...Another difference between GSM and CDMA is in the data transfer methods. GSM’s high-speed wireless data technology, GPRS (General Packet Radio Service), usually offers a slower data bandwidth for wireless data connection than CDMA’s high-speed technology (1xRTT, short for single carrier radio transmission technology), which has the capability of providing ISDN (Integrated Services Digital Network)-like speeds of as much as 144Kbps (kilobits per second). However, 1xRTT requires a dedicated connection to the network for use, whereas GPRS sends in packets, which means that data calls made on a GSM handset don’t block out voice calls like they do on CDMA phones..."

CDMA vs GSM - Difference and Comparison | Diffen

Translation: CDMA is potentially faster by "streaming" data on a dedicated channel; GSM is more flexible because voice and data can coexist on a channel since the messages are broken up into indvidual "packets" that are reassembled when they reach their destination.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yep -- Remember all those annoying AT&T commercials with Luke Wilson, bragging about how he can Google answers for his friend's game show while talking to him?

That's IF he can get a cell signal.