aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you want to experiment

Press and hold down the Power Key.
Touch Power Off.
Touch OK.
Press and hold the menu key, then press the power key to power on device
Continue holding the Menu key until Safe mode appears in the left corner of the screen.
This may take up to 30 seconds.
Safe Mode will appear in the bottom *left* corner

scoder

Reaction score
Safe mode boots the Droid with no widgets or 3rd party apps, that way you can see if your issue is app related or not. I would also try updating your roaming capabilities, which finds the strongest and closest towers near you. This might help the reception.

To do this, dial *228 where you have the crappy reception. Choose option 2. Wait for the song to stop and the woman to tell you it was successful. Usually you don't need to reboot after this, but just to be safe, I would wait about thirty seconds and then reboot the Droid. Do all of this while you are not in safe mode. If this makes no difference in reception, I would perform a hard reset on the device because it is probably an app or apps not getting along.

I hope this works for you.

fishstick600

Reaction score
Well i* 228 a little while ago and im gonna see if that did the trick. If not ill try safe mode. I hope updating the roaming works

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

scoder

Reaction score
You should always update your roaming when going to a place your VZW phone hasn't been before (outside of 40 miles).

fishstick600

Reaction score
Whys that's? I was literally only 5 miles away from my house and maybe 20 away from i bought it. Either way so far i haven't lost 3g so that might of fixed it

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Whys that's? I was literally only 5 miles away from my house and maybe 20 away from i bought it. Either way so far i haven't lost 3g so that might of fixed it

Verizon recommends you update your PRL's once a month. Which reminds me, I need to do that.

fishstick600

Reaction score
Its been over 24 hours and i haven't had any issues altough i bet it starts happening again because i did some forum surfing and this appears to be a common occurrence

ZX-10R

Reaction score
my 3g sucks on X my D1 was fine always had connection. since i had the X i had to restart the phone at least 6 times since 8/5/10 haven't been able to get to the store to have it checked out yet.....

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
1-keep trying *228
2-reboot in safe mode
3-factory reset
4-new phone

Reading over this thread again, it looks like I forgot to mention *228. But I have my own *228 experience on a new droid X. When I activated the phone it returned some kind of error. I disregarded it because the phone worked fine. Eventually, I noticed my Cell Standby taking up way too much power...more than Display during moderate use. I called *228 and it wouldn't let me update my PRLs. I called again and activated the phone. This time, no error. I called one last time to update PRLs and it worked, no error. Battery life improved DRAMATICALLY. :blink: Between this and finding out about the Droid X "no sleep" bug, the battery and reception are GOLDEN. :icon_ lala:

fishstick600

Reaction score
Apparently motorola is working on a ato that will come about the time froyo hits or soon after. I've read that the same issue plagued the driod 1 and had to get baseband updates aswell. Ill keep ya posted on what i know

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Apparently motorola is working on a ato that will come about the time froyo hits or soon after. I've read that the same issue plagued the driod 1 and had to get baseband updates aswell. Ill keep ya posted on what i know

I take it the problem came back for you?

fishstick600

Reaction score
Ya but only once in a great while. It was doing it 2-3 times a day. It appears to happen the most when my phones been in standby for a while.