Browser Battle?

kenkamm

Reaction score
I really like the Milestone Multi-touch browser. Unfortunately it's only available if you've rooted. I don't find the text lag to be that terrible, but maybe I'm just a slow typist, not sure. I really like the pinch zooming because you can zoom precisely the amount you require. And, it has the anti-aliasing switching setup like the 2.0 browser had, which makes scrolling smoother. The scrolling problem seems to be a common theme and it drives me nuts. Some people don't mind it one bit. I guess it bothers me a lot because I came from an iPhone where everything slides around on the screen like butter.

MonkeyTime

Reaction score
I was perfectly happy with stock until I rooted, the version I have now drives me crazy with the blur after scrolling.
Can't do Dolphin, haven't tried Steele, but really like xScope now that I've gotten used to it.

M

Matth3w

I have the paid version of xscope ($3) and it's great. I just installed Steel and all I got was a blank screen with a semicircle in the bottom right of the screen. Uninstalled.
I'll stick with xscope. I guess it isn't pretty, but I prefer function over form.
:icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek:

kenkamm

Reaction score
I was perfectly happy with stock until I rooted, the version I have now drives me crazy with the blur after scrolling.
That blur is what allows it to scroll more smoothly than the stock browser. I like the smooth scrolling.

allikanbe

Reaction score
I have the paid version of xscope ($3) and it's great. I just installed Steel and all I got was a blank screen with a semicircle in the bottom right of the screen. Uninstalled.
I'll stick with xscope. I guess it isn't pretty, but I prefer function over form.

did you try clicking that semicircle? It brings up the URL bar, among other things.

Nothing happened the first time I clicked the semicircle. Reinstalled and then the right screen opened. Tried Steel. uninstalled again. I like the way xscope is set up with the icons of favorites. 21 favorites is enough for me and it has multi touch and tap. the xscope dev is on this forum and he is very responsive to member needs/wants/ideas.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

did you try clicking that semicircle? It brings up the URL bar, among other things.

Nothing happened the first time I clicked the semicircle. Reinstalled and then the right screen opened. Tried Steel. uninstalled again. I like the way xscope is set up with the icons of favorites. 21 favorites is enough for me and it has multi touch and tap. the xscope dev is on this forum and he is very responsive to member needs/wants/ideas.

Well, a K12 rider can't be wrong. :). Took an initial look at Steel and it looks pretty good for what it is; a quick browser with minimal screen real estate.

I've been using xScope and Dolphin Browser for quite awhile, though, and I don't think I'll switch. And I have to say that Gary's efforts on xScope have been phenomenal. As long as he's willing to forego having a life and pouring the time he should be sleeping into fixing and extending his browser, I'll stick with him.

I did notice that Steel has a problem I encountered on xScope last week. The standard Google home screen triggers an error for me due apparently to some problem with the "Near Me Now" feature that Google added recently. The problem doesn't show up in the default browser. And Dolphin (wisely) doesn't display the "Near Me Now" feature. Gary went to considerable effort to try to fix the problem on xScope and finally went the Dolphin route. Steel, however, is apparently subject to the same problem xScope encountered.

DigiK

Reaction score
After going through my own browser search following the Dolphin 2.0 debacle, I found xScope and quickly appreciated the developer Gary's emphasis on speed, usability, and continual improvement-- so much that I volunteered to help him out with a new look for the browser.

Gary recently did some benchmarks, and xScope beats both Dolphin and the Stock browser from a speed standpoint. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/at...r-benchmark-browsers-real-numbers-compare.png

Concerning the UI, Gary is finishing work on adding user theme plug-ins and additional customizations. The first theme pack will debut very soon as a free download in the market. Tab size will also be increasing. Here's a small preview: :)
View attachment 3137

Last edited:
M

Matth3w

I will switch back to xScope once those changes take effect. That being said, can you ask him to put refresh into the menu options like the stock browser? purty please :)

DigiK

Reaction score
I believe Gary is planning on allowing user customization of which icons are displayed and their order, although I'm not sure on whether that will be just in the nav-bar or also in the bottom menu. Additional enhancements will include an option for placing the Nav bar at the bottom of the screen, so this should provide a lot of options for people to have the layout they like. :)

M

Matth3w

It's not a deal breaker for me. When do you expect the updated skin to be released?

DigiK

Reaction score
I'm finishing up design this weekend along with testing. Probably sometime in the next week or so if all goes well.

M

Matth3w

Sounds good, I'll be looking for it. Perhaps I'll reinstall it but just not use it so I can get the update notification.

DigiK

Reaction score
xScope will be updated to implement the theme plug-in functionality,but the default theme will remain unchanged for those people who like the minimal, high-contrast icons. New themes, commencing with the initial release of the theme I'm working on, will be available as separate download.

Reaction score
does anyone have a link to the milestone browser? the only way i've seen it installed is with certain roms...is there a way to just DL the mt browser and install it? i wanna give it a try...