Browser Battle?

OP
K

kristoff125

Reaction score
Apparently they were recently acquired by some company, lots of happy people on the comments, skyfire I think.

M

Matth3w

Steel is good but not good enough to replace stock.
Trying to figure out...how can I get rid of the Milestone and replace with the stock Droid with my ROM? Never seen the stock APK lying around anywhere. I know I could use Root Explorer to get rid of Milestone, but not sure how I would replace the stock one.

Reaction score
well im a dolphin user, but after reading this post i installed steel and if it enabled multitouch it'd be my new browser. it seems a good bit quicker than dolphin for sure. i just LOVE multitouch...and without i cant make the switch. im keepin steel tho for quick browsing.

OP
K

kristoff125

Reaction score
since their acquisition they should be getting multitouch in the near future

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Stock works for me til I get my hands on a working Firefox Fennec :)

MJ5150

Reaction score
Xscope FTW!

I stayed away from Dolphin because of reports that is was sluggish. I don't know how to get the Milestone browser, so no idea what I missing there.

I was totally fine with the stock browser until I tried the pinch zoom thing-a-ma-jigger on xScope....DANG THIS IS COOL. WOW!!!!!! Not a chance I go back to stock or to Steel unless one of those offer this feature. The ability to slide over text and copy it rocks too. For now, I am off to download the pay version of xScope. It is worth every penny.

Oh, as for the appearance of xScope? So what. It would be cool though to be able to edit what buttons show up.

-Mike

allikanbe

Reaction score
I have the paid version of xscope ($3) and it's great. I just installed Steel and all I got was a blank screen with a semicircle in the bottom right of the screen. Uninstalled.
I'll stick with xscope. I guess it isn't pretty, but I prefer function over form.

OP
K

kristoff125

Reaction score
I have the paid version of xscope ($3) and it's great. I just installed Steel and all I got was a blank screen with a semicircle in the bottom right of the screen. Uninstalled.
I'll stick with xscope. I guess it isn't pretty, but I prefer function over form.

did you try clicking that semicircle? It brings up the URL bar, among other things.

Yodes

Reaction score

/facepalm

That's is how steel looks on start up. Try pressing that half circle for the address bar and then you'll see. Oh and I've been using steel for awhile and its by far the best. How the browser should be on android. And if and when it does get multi touch I'll like it better than my iTouch's browser.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'll have to try it.

Dolphin - Like no restrictions on favorites, yet after last update feel page to get to favorites is buried. I like long press and slide to link, then open in new tab or other choices.

Xcope lite - Nice, limited fav's, less emphasis on UI look, but effective function!

I have to say I dont really care about multitouch, but when stock goes MT, I'll likely remove others and use that (and get used to it), time will tell.