Browse The Web With No Data Connection, Cosmos Browser

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
logo.png

We have all been there you get to spot where your data connection is spotty at best. This can be quite a bad situation if you have to send out an emergency email, or look up a crucial piece of data. Now you can get your way out of this type of bind with a new and innovative browser. Cosmos browser allows you to access the web without wifi or data. As long as you are able to send and receive a text message you can surf the web. Now this is not the full fledged web this is a limited version of the web that you will be able to access.

Here is how it works. When you open the browser and type in a valid url a text message is sent to a server which finds and packages the requested website into an openable zip file which is sent back to your phone via text message. Cosmos intercepts the incoming text message and opens it in a viewable page. This is an early beta which means there will be bugs. If you would like to give this proof of concept a try head to the link below.

Via CosmosBrowser

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
It has a link to the play store which results in the item nor being found. Searching the play store doesn't bring it up either. Strange...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

OP
DroidModderX

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
with it being in beta they are probably in the middle of an update. Probably took it down for now.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Guess I'll try again later. Makes for a simple browsing experience, but you gotta wonder how long it takes to load. Nice idea to save people some cash if it works. Can't be much worse than it used to be to browse the Web on a feature phone.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

matukqo

Reaction score
It was taken down because of a lack of funding, each text sent costs money and the server sent tens of thousands. It is developed by a few college students so once they can get funding together they will put it back online.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
It was taken down because of a lack of funding, each text sent costs money and the server sent tens of thousands. It is developed by a few college students so once they can get funding together they will put it back online.
Thanks for the info! I imagine that would add up pretty quick.

matukqo

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! I imagine that would add up pretty quick.

Just as an extra shout out to Cosmos Browser, if anyone feels inclined to help them and donate to fund Cosmos Browser the link is below. I know it will help them out a lot, the main developer is working like crazy on this.

Cosmos Browser - Tilt