Brought home the Razr today, coming from the X and 2.2

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
Coming over from a rooted X and I'm already loving the speed of this beast.

Any major adjustments I should look out for? I'm already noticing some weird stuff. I took the SD card out of the X and moved it over but things that are there don't show up in root explorer. I notice there's a directory "sdcard" and then there's my card under "sdcard-ext". What's that about?

Also, there's no folders in the gallery. I tried moving all my pics and folders from sdcard-ext to sdcard and still only all photos unorganized show up.

I can't seem to get my data restored from Mybackup Pro (not a huge issue, but don't really want to go through all those Angry Bird screens again)

So I'm really wondering, what other things are going to be different, what tricks should I know to move things over better, and get everything running again where the sdcard is needed?

I'm fighting off the urge to root. :blink:

eidian

Reaction score
I came over from the X too. It's confusing when it comes to the memory. The internal memory is referred to as SD memory and the actual SD card is the external memory. Honeycomb was like that on my Xoom and still is with ICS.

I can't address your picture problem though I would suggest going through the settings to make sure that the images are arranged by the same sort as your X.

And I would suggest rooting since you're familiar with it. No, we can't overclock (don't need to really) but Titanium its nice along with some limited customization via Motomizer.

2.3.6 ver 174 rooted with NO problems

Last edited:
OP
Jim 777

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't see a sort option and I will tell you one thing I found that had me thinking WTF! I was browsing the skins for the Beautiful Widgets clock and and it seems that every little thumbnail that showed is now in my pictures. So, WTF? How do I stop this? I had a mere 800+ pictures when I moved the sdcard over and now there's over 2000 (and I've only taken 3 pics).

OP
Jim 777

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
I found the little drop down to display folders. We're good there.

I was told when I bought the phone that it was a 16gb phone with a 16gb card. However it's an 8gb phone. Is it really a big deal? Don't really want to go through the hours of getting another phone the way I like it.

I have noticed under the storage details that after all my apps are on, there's just a bit over 7gb available of the 8 and it says that there is 2gb space available for apps. Is that good? It doesn't seem like it but then I never knew what space I had on the other phones.

eidian

Reaction score
Yeah, the memory allocation is another point of confusion/contention. Believe it or not, you DO have the 16 gig phone.

There's another thread where a person explained the breakdown of how the internal memory is allocated. On my 8 gig phone I only have about 2 gigs left over for my use. I believe that the majority of the memory is allocated to system files. Check out the breakdown for my phone in the pic.

View attachment 47336

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
If you liked the Droid X, I bet you'll love the Droid Razr. I prefer Motorola hardware, but a Nexus on Verizon was just too rare for me to pass up. Enjoy your new phone! :biggrin:

OP
Jim 777

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the memory allocation is another point of confusion/contention. Believe it or not, you DO have the 16 gig phone.

There's another thread where a person explained the breakdown of how the internal memory is allocated. On my 8 gig phone I only have about 2 gigs left over for my use. I believe that the majority of the memory is allocated to system files. Check out the breakdown for my phone in the pic.

View attachment 47336

Mine is similar. App storage is 2.03gb; Internal storage Total Space is 8.00gb

Doesn't look as is it's a 16gb phone

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Did you get your pictures sorted out - I don't use the stock gallery but QuickPic and it allows me to search both the internal and external storage areas for files and it sorts them into folders.

As for the storage - you have app storage, media storage, phone storage and SD card storage...your 16gb is there, it is just allocated and you don't have access to all of it.

OP
Jim 777

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
Did you get your pictures sorted out - I don't use the stock gallery but QuickPic and it allows me to search both the internal and external storage areas for files and it sorts them into folders.

As for the storage - you have app storage, media storage, phone storage and SD card storage...your 16gb is there, it is just allocated and you don't have access to all of it.
I did get the picture thing figured out to some extent. Being it's the first time off of 2.2, I didn't know to look for the options in the upper left corner. Click there and it let's you choose albums, location, tags, timeline or folders. I like the folders. I hope I can figure out how to keep every friggin' image that shows up from ending up in the gallery.

As the first day with the phone, still loving it. I can see that I will be chasing battery life down as I have with my two previous droids. Charges really slow too.