Broken Screen

Aliciastav

Reaction score
I dropped a bracelet on my phone while it was in my lap and it cracked my screen. I had been sitting in the car and it would have only dropped about 5 inches.

I have a crack going from the outside edge of the screen of the "q" button all the way to the outside edge of the "backspace" key. As well as one going from the previous crack but starting at the letter "d" and going all the way up to the top of the "up volume" key. And a very faint one going down from the "s" key to the bottom of the screen by the microphone.

And a couple days later a line showed up going from the very top of my screen to the bottom of my screen of a yellowish tint color. I don't know why or how this line showed up but I can't watch videos with out it being distinctly seen. Very frustrating.

All of this from dropping a bracelet. Lets just says I'm very upset and turned off by how indestructible this phone was marketed to be. And how easily destroyed it actually is.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You hit any phone "just right" and they'll be damaged.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
I dropped a bracelet on my phone while it was in my lap and it cracked my screen. I had been sitting in the car and it would have only dropped about 5 inches.

I have a crack going from the outside edge of the screen of the "q" button all the way to the outside edge of the "backspace" key. As well as one going from the previous crack but starting at the letter "d" and going all the way up to the top of the "up volume" key. And a very faint one going down from the "s" key to the bottom of the screen by the microphone.

And a couple days later a line showed up going from the very top of my screen to the bottom of my screen of a yellowish tint color. I don't know why or how this line showed up but I can't watch videos with out it being distinctly seen. Very frustrating.

All of this from dropping a bracelet. Lets just says I'm very upset and turned off by how indestructible this phone was marketed to be. And how easily destroyed it actually is.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

By bracelet do you mean handcuffs? ;)

senker

Reaction score
Thats insane. I dropped this phone at least 5 times now from 4 feet + and still looks brand new. NO CASE. 2 times were on cement.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Sad but true, dropping something on the screen, or dropping it just right can cause cracks or shattering. There have been reports of people dropping it 6 inches onto a hardwood floor and cracking it, and then others where it's been dropped off a 7 foot ladder onto concrete and no cracks, just a couple minor nicks in the case edge.

I think the ones that seem to crack easily may be phones where the glass is already stressed a bit. I just looked at my phone holding it with the bottom facing me and top facing away, and picking up a reflection of the light from the ceiling, I can see two distinct dimples or flexes in the glass along the left edge, and where those dimples are, the metal shroud is also dimpled. This causes me concern. I wonder if my phone will be one that takes a short drop and cracks?

Also, glass is more fragile during or immediately after large temperature swings. Perhaps what happened with her phone is that it went from being warm such as in the case, to cold after being taken out and sitting in the open air of the car. There are any number of reasons why glass will crack with seemingly little pressure in a certain area, and yet can withstand considerable pressure elsewhere with no ill effects. Another thing that can contribute to glass cracking is improper edge preparation. I have two different RAZRs and one has a nice smooth rolled edge along the entire surround of the glass. The other looks more like a beveled edge, and there are slight imperfections to the bevel. If any of those imperfections are a microscopic remnant of the original glass cut, they can fissure and crack with very little added stress.

The demo of Gorilla Glass shows it being flexed into a curve like a potato chip, and yet it doesn't break. Still, what we have to realize is we're dealing with GLASS. The harder something is, generally the more brittle it is as well. It can take some bending, but sudden impacts, especially in a very tiny point of contact (such as a metal bracelet hitting the glass on one corner of the metal) are another story.