Broken screen on rooted droid...how to unroot for return?

Killmanaj

Reaction score
I know I've seen a post for this in the past but i could not find it in the search engine. I rooted my mother's phone so she could have wireless tethering and she dropped it and now the screen doesn't work. How can I unroot the phone without being able to see the screen?

OP
K

Killmanaj

Reaction score
She just got here with the phone and it powers on but it the screen says
Bootloader 2c.6c
Battery OK
OK to Program
Connect USB
Data Cable

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I know I've seen a post for this in the past but i could not find it in the search engine. I rooted my mother's phone so she could have wireless tethering and she dropped it and now the screen doesn't work. How can I unroot the phone without being able to see the screen?

if everthing works but the screen you might be able to do this
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-faqs/39254-sbf-root-unroot.html?highlight=root+unroot

Try box option 5 after getting rsd lite

good luck

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
She just got here with the phone and it powers on but it the screen says
Bootloader 2c.6c
Battery OK
OK to Program
Connect USB
Data Cable

that is the bootloader screen and exactly where u want to be to do what I posted above!

OP
K

Killmanaj

Reaction score
After I download rsdlite and install it i just have a bunch of folders and no option to run as administrator. Any idea what i may be doing wrong?

OP
K

Killmanaj

Reaction score
It says the flashing process failed...Does that mean I can just remove the sdcard and she can return the phone or will they still be able to see it is rooted?

rickt1152

Reaction score
It says the flashing process failed...Does that mean I can just remove the sdcard and she can return the phone or will they still be able to see it is rooted?

I'm sorry I can't give you the exact wording (without unrooting my phone), but I do not believe that is the message I've received when flashing the stock sbf in RSDlite. As I recall it was a pretty self explanatory message, like "complete" or so forth. I'd give it another try and see what it says.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would reflash at least one more time to see if it says that again. It should say something like, phone is being rebooted 100%, before it is completely unrooted.

pepsi149

Reaction score
worst comes to worst take it to a steel salvage yard have them hit it with the big magnet.....lol

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
If RSD goes through the process (which, if flashing 2.0.1 should take at least a few minutes!) and the phone reboots, even if RSD is saying failed, you're good to go - the key being that it goes through the process before it says fail - not an immediate "fail". I believe (and could be wrong!) one of the last things it does is "flash ram bootloader", so if you're seeing that and then it fails, then it likely didn't actually fail.

In addition, if it goes through the process, and RSD says failed, and your phone is still saying "SW Update" (or whatever the wording is), click "show my device" in RSD and it should change to "SW Update Complete" and reboot.

EDIT: RSD is finicky - I've flashed 2.0.1 probably 30+ times over the past few months, and sometimes it will complete and sometimes it will say failed, but if it follows what I typed above, then it worked.

Last edited: