Broken Recovery, Broken USB...

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by neccoguy21, Oct 25, 2010.

1. neccoguy21

neccoguy21 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Long story short, I flashed a stock rom and removed root apps because i was taking my droid1 into Verizon for inspection. I made a trusty nandroid backup before doing anything, so i know my backup is ready to be restored and have everything returned back to normal, as i have done countless times. This time around though, my clockworkmod recovery isn't loaded.

If I reboot into recovery (X-key+Power Button), I get the icon with the phone laying down and a triangle with an exclamation mark in it. No root apps work, like Titanium Backup, Rom Manager, or anything requiring Super User Access. The weird thing is I have the superuser app installed, and it doesn't force close when i open it.

Any root app trying to execute a task that needs root access, it says "An error occurred while attempting to run privileged commands!". Entering "su" in the terminal gives me "permission denied".

I obviously am no longer rooted properly. With my recovery not working, the apps that can flash it again not working, and any app that can do anything with my nandroid backup not working, The the last option i can think of is to plug my phone into usb and re root it with adb.

The problem with that is that my usb plug in my phone no longer works (its not the charger, not the usb cable, not the usb port on the computer, its the usb port on the phone). It wont charge, and it certainly wont be recognized by a computer.

What can I do to flash a recovery back on my phone?

2. guidot

guidot Developer Relations Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +274
    In the rescue squad section there is a guide by christim that may work for you. "Multiple phones - root them, unroot them."

Sent from OG Droid using the Droidforums App.

3. HarvesterX™

HarvesterX™ Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Not trying to sound rude here, but why would you want to re-root a phone that you can't even charge? Are you taking the battery out whenever you need to charge your phone and sticking it in a standalone battery charger? If so, that sounds like a pain in the rear and definately a good excuse to hit Verizon up for a refurbished Droid under warranty, or at the worst, file a claim with your insurance.

4. neccoguy21

neccoguy21 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Not rude at all, perfectly acceptable questions. I currently swap out 2 batteries, 1 charging, 1 keeping the phone on. not too much of a pain, it keeps me rebooting the phone as it should be. I am under warranty as Verizon has told me, so i will be replacing shortly. What I'm slightly more concerned about is my relieving my paranoia of not being able to deal with the phone i left in my backup i can no longer access, verses having to transfer everything blindly and hoping for the best.

And mostly I'm always trying to increase my knowledge base about the android system, so when i come across a problem i can't work myself out of, I want to know what to do. Even if the situation can be avoided in the first place.

5. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, it looks like you've got a bit of a problem. You need root access to flash a new recovery image. To get root access, you need to flash an SBF file, but you can't do that because your micro USB port is broken.

The only thing I can think of that might help is that MAYBE if you are running a non-current version of stock software, you might be able to download one of those one-click-root methods to get root working again so you can put the recovery console back on. I believe that if you are running an up-to-date version of the stock software, you are just out of luck and the only way to get root access again is to use an SBF (which requires the micro USB port). Hopefully they will just take the warranty hardware repair and not look at the fact that you installed unofficial software.

Good luck!

6. neccoguy21

neccoguy21 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like I'm heading over to verizon right now and order my 2nd warrenty replacement. I don't think its gonna flash on this phone. Thanks everyone!

7. guidot

Ratings:
    +274
    Could you not use the multiple phones - root/unroot link? Its in rescue squad by christim.

8. neccoguy21

neccoguy21 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I followed the guide you have linked in your signature, and it goes to the roots of rooting with rsdlite and the boot loader, I just can't flash to a recovery without the usb. And I'm currently on stock frg22d, so no easy one click root. If there really is a way around all these roadblocks, its way over my head and I'm not willing to put that much time into a device that's going bye bye in a couple days. (I just have my fingers crossed for a droid 2 replace)

9. guidot

Ratings:
    +274
    I didn't say the one in my sig. Its in the rescue squad guides section. By christim.

Search tags for this page
alternative way to flash a rom to a phone when usb port is d

broken usb tricks

droid a855 replacement micro usb port
motorola a855 charging port repair
verizon warranty micro usb broken