Broken power button > activity menu

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by noiofnine, Oct 23, 2011.

1. noiofnine

noiofnine Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys. I know this is not a specific SS issue, but SS users seem to be the friendliest and most helpful of forum users.... so this is why I am posting here.

Power button is broken.
    I can put the phone to sleep and wake just fine
    Done with widgets and volume rocker via the rom.
    But what I would like is the menu that pops up when the power button is long pressed. You, know, the reboot options, profile, screen, etc.

I've tried 3rd party apps via market and even google these forums but they really only address what I've already solved. Sleep and wake screen, home key, menu key.

So this is why I'm asking for help. Need the power key menu.
    Or if someone knows the activity path it calls on, maybe I can
    Place a script pointing to it via a widget to at least call up that menu.

Thanks in advance guys. And this will help others out there with the same issue. As I've searched, there are lots out there seeking the same help.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

2. VingInMedina

VingInMedina Member

Ratings:
    +1
    If you find a solution, please post it here. My wife's phone also has a broken power button. She had me put her phone back to stock Froyo because they just didn't work well with any Gingerbread ROM.

So, the only way to wake up her phone is by sliding the keyboard open. I wish there was a way I could map the wake up to the volume rocker like I have on my phone with SS.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

3. noiofnine

noiofnine Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well. I had horrible issues with GB roms.... all of them including SS and various kernels. So as a last ditched effort I was asking around for SS Froyo, when someone told me to give SS 5.5 one last try. FIRST THING I DID AFTER INSTALL; TURNED OFF LOG CAT.

So I used RZR recover instead of CWM. and wipe EVERYTHING. Started from scratch and flased SS5.5. Restored only users apps and user data using titanium.
    Now I am super happy. I do want to mention this time, i went completely SS stock, no other kernels or scripts. And lets say I am loving my phone again!

Anyhow about the power button. There are some apps on on the market, both free and paid for apps. One that I am using now is Button Savior, but it requires root. I dont need it but its free. The free version does not let you remap a wake up key... I have yet to try other ones.

I did search phrases like, broken power button, power button, power key etc...

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  4. noiofnine

noiofnine Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Found something in remapping the keys.
    Need root still. Found this from another thread on here, but did slightly different and tested to see what works best.
    I had to edit the /system/usr/keylayout/sholes-keypad.kl

Find:
    KEY 211 FOCUS
    KEY 212 CAMERA

Change to:
    (use the space bar key to move to the field. I am not sure how important it was to have the spaceings match like the other lines, but I stuck to it just in case.)
    KEY 211 POWER WAKE
    KEY 212 POWER WAKE_DROP

REBOOT the phone once done. Root Explorer will auto-gen a copy of the edited file. the original file will be renamed to sholes-keypad.kl.bak
    Pull the battery, or use ROM (reboot recovery) but i just restarted system from the CWM menu. Or use Terminal, type su, then type reboot.

I used root explorer and navigated to the file, long press and open in editor.
    I changed the key mapping as stated, and with testing this is what worked best.

A) On the OG Droid, there are 2 levels of pressing with the camera button, a soft press (focus) and a hard press for take pic.

B) To turn screen off you can just quickly press soft or hard.

c) To Wake it is best to soft touch press only. (this takes a second for the system to respond on wake, but it works) Both quick soft presses.)
    *if you hard press - only the soff menu keys will light, but the screen will not wake.

B) Long hard press and hold the camera button down for a full second and releasing and the power menu options opens up with all the options.

D) This does not replace the hardware mapping to actually power up the phone if it was fully turned off. But its a work around.
    ** Plugging it into a charger or usb to pc will power the phone up. This is the only work around I have so far.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  5. tcyree2202

tcyree2202 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My dad and I both had the same issue. His power button went out first, and it eventually fried his phone. I guess the button was basically in a state of being lightly pressed at all times, which caused all kinds of touch screen issues and other stuff. One day it just overheated like crazy and flat out died. Mine wasn't far behind. I lived with it for a month or so, but eventually went to a cell phone repair shop and had it replaced. More than likely it's not the button itself, but mecahinisms the button controls (sorry, that's vague but I don't know the proper names of the equipment inside). After the repair, power button clicks like brand new. It's kind of expensive, think I paid around 90, but it was worth it to make my poor old Droid last until my upgrade. Man, I've put this thing through hell, and it's still runnin strong. No doubt thanks to Chevy and this Simply Stunning rom, haha. And the CM team, of course.

Sent from the Planet Express delivery ship

6. overtwo

overtwo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Button Remapper works really well. I've been using it for over a month now. What I did was set my 'camera' button to 'power' and also set to 'wake'. After you apply the setting and reboot you can now uninstall Button Remapper so that it doesn't take up room on your phone or app drawer. (if this doesn't make sense, i appologize. Still half asleep on a Monday morning lol)

You will loose the convenience of taking pictures with the button BUT i use my power button WAY more than i use the camera lol. You can still take pics with the 'on-screen' camera button inside the camera app.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  7. VingInMedina

VingInMedina Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks noiofnine! That was exactly what I was hoping for! I mapped the camera button to the power and now the phone can be used again. I liked that solution so much that I used it on my og droid (even though I could map the volume button to wake it up). I would love to find out what all those other entries are used for -- could be fun. It is such a simple solution too.

Well, anyway, thanks again!

8. RoyR80

RoyR80 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I can't seam to find the "button remapper" app in the market. :-( I'm only looking for the free version, is it possible someone can post a link to it for me PLEASE. :hail:
    I've been having this problem for a week now and while i was able to use CM-settings to allow the volume to wake my fone, it doesn't allow me to put my fone to sleep. I could care less to ever really use the camera button for pix, the on screen button works just fine for me. :)

9. Sparkimus

Sparkimus Member

Ratings:
    +1
    If you are using CM 7.1 like I am, you can add a button to the notification power widget to make the phone go to sleep. I'm using that and using the volume rocker to wake.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

10. RoyR80

RoyR80 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    lol, that is currently my set-up, but i'd prefer to use one button. :frown:

Search tags for this page
android power button activity

broken power button droid razr

droid razr broken power button

how to fix the power button on the razor
how to replace power button on razr