Broken phones missing after returned by FedEx

A

assmunke

Bad situation man, but seeing as I work for UPS my answer can only be blame FedEx...............seriously though, it sounds like whoever does their air box pickups is a thief. If their system is anything like ours that package would have had an initial scan when it was picked up, if you put it in the box and they say they have no record of it in their system then it sounds like the dude never scanned it.

hebertm1

Reaction score
Dude that sux, Did anybody check the drop box to see if it has been overlooked in pickup route. Maybe the FedEx Pickup forgot about that box.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
As was stated before, you are responsible for the return of the phones, and are also told to save the left side of the return label that has your tracking number on it. That is your proof the phones went back. So do you have those?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

bmxmike

Reaction score
I'm sure somewhere theres a terms of agreement that says FedEx is not responsible for packages left over night or at a off site location, and that it is the sole responsiblity of the sender to take all the right steps to ensure a safe pick up or something along those lines. If nothing in the else in the box was missing I would say fishy if anything else was missing then I would say theft which, "should" be investigated as its a federal offense to tamper with mail

REMilk

Reaction score
as its a federal offense to tamper with mail

It is a federal offense to tamper with the US Mail (USPS).

Unfortunately, FEDEX is not the US Mail but is a private shipper and theft or tampering with FEDEX shipments does not fall under this statute.

It is a criminal matter that depending of the dollar value determines the type of felony. Localities address this issue under local laws.

FEDEX boxes are located at US Postal locations as a convenience for the consumer.

teek

Reaction score
This is my comment on this. UPS and FEDEX should put an IP camera on top of their mailboxes and see if the customer is putting everything inside the box/envelope then seal it with the label. Then the consumer will scan the sealed box (the entire process being videotaped) and handed out a 1"x1" receipt. Done. They want t save money on the employee spend it on the system. You cheapo ass carrier.

And Verizon should also do their part by allowing their branch store to accept returns!

Just my 2 cents.

psrumors

Reaction score
Why not just call fed ex and have them pick it up at your door?

I bet a camera on top of the box would last about as long as a public payphone.

teek

Reaction score
Monitoring device can be as small as a piece of dollar coin and hidden somewhere to protect it. Besides it is easy to recycle and/or donate them to third world countries. A pay phone can be used as a prop for a post apocalyptic movie.

Bottom line why o why ATT and Verizon branches won't accept bad phones for repair. It is a big puzzle to me. We pay big money for insurance (recurrent payment) and we get crap refurb unit.

Last edited:
OP
R

RickLaw

Reaction score
Status regarding lost Droid returns and Fedex dropbox.

Thanks for responses to my dilema. Thought I would follow up to let anyone who is interested know what happened.

Here are some facts as they unfolded:
Issue was two missing phones that were returned using Fedex drop boxes and Verizon charging me $1200.
I was told that the first missing phone was IN SERVICE based on a serial number check.
I was told that the user opened a service contract with Verizon "supplying their own equipment". When I suggested they inquire as to how the user wound up with my phone Verizon stated that they could not do this. (???)
Can they cancel or deny the person a contract pending an inquiry as to where user got the phone? No.
The next day they dropped one of the $600 charges on the bill.
Still the other $600 charge remained plus mounting penalties, etc.
More phone calls to Verizon and Fedex ...
I tried to open a claim with Fedex and was at first refused because the airbill tracking numbers were not in the system (the phones were not scanned in so...). I had to explain that Verizon was not letting it go and I was not paying $600 for simply following Verizons instructions and THEIR chosen methods for doing returns. I informed them that I would be expanding my response to this by filing complaints with the attorney generals office of New York complaining that since so many losses are occuring with these drop boxes they should at least post warnings on their boxes and airbills and suggest alternative methods to send off a package. Not good for the Fedex image I expect. The agent asked me to hold on and then came back saying they would allow a claim on the one phone that was still being charged to my bill.
I filed the Fedex claim.
I filed a claim with the Droid insurance company.
I filed a report with the police department in the precinct of occurance.
The next day a Verizon security agent called me (for a change) and after some questions said they would drop the second charge of $600. We discussed some solutions for the problem like Verizon informing people that they can ususally call for a Fedex pickup instead of using the boxes or take them to a convenient store front location if there was one or just not allowing drop box returns. They would not take the phones in stores anymore because of "problems".

Some interesting facts during the numerous calls:
The Verizon generated airbill showed that the returned phone was insured at $100!
There was no provision included for me to add to the insurance amount either since they were the 'shipper' not me.
I argued how can they charge me $600 when they only insure for $100?
Answer was that "it is rare that phones are lost" so we save the money.
I argued that this is a form of self insuring and that Verizon had no right to charge me for the loss. Based on this their claims for $600 would not hold up in arbitration or small claims court.

Anyway, after much aggravation and time lost they conceded. When I asked why would anyone steal a dead Droid the security agent explained it would wind up on Ebay for $50 or so and would not be reported when someone who bought it gets a dead phone as they would feel they were suspect for buying a Droid for 50 dollars (stolen phone). Whatever... Got that 'spinning' feeling as he said this. So this case is closed, it seems. I doubt there will be any changes to Verizon's returns model as it probably saves them much more money than an occasional lost device and they can get some people to pay the full cost to boot. The drop box is cheaper as a house pickup would incur extra charges. But they think nothing of charging users for the 'losses'.

RickLaw

wanderlusterer

Reaction score
This is my comment on this. UPS and FEDEX should put an IP camera on top of their mailboxes and see if the customer is putting everything inside the box/envelope then seal it with the label. Then the consumer will scan the sealed box (the entire process being videotaped) and handed out a 1"x1" receipt. Done. They want t save money on the employee spend it on the system. You cheapo ass carrier.

And Verizon should also do their part by allowing their branch store to accept returns!

Just my 2 cents.

I'll agree with this statement and as RickLaw has stated in hearing from Verizon as a finality in the matter, they stopped taking them because of "problems". Well they need to change that. If they can receive phones from FedEx, why can't they send them back out? Verizon needs to pay attention to this.

RickLaw, I'm glad that things got sorted out and that you weren't charged for anything! It's terrible that you had to go through a lot just to learn a lesson to not leave the packages at a drop box location.

EmdewercsNozirev

Reaction score
:mad: BEWARE!! VERIZON COULD DO THIS TO YOU!

I have contacted several customer service representatives at Verizon and can’t seem to get anyone to fix the ridiculous situation.

Here is the story:

My smart phone was not working properly, I took it to the local store, they ordered a new phone that was shipped to my home and delivered the next day. Under warranty, the next day a replacement phone arrived.
The same day, I put the damaged phone into the box and pasted on the prepaid label supplied by Verizon. I took the phone to the post office counter and mailed it. I had the post office scan the label and give me a receipt.

About 2 weeks later I received a text message from Verizon stating that the returned phone was not received yet, but to disregard the message if the phone had been mailed back.

After 2 more weeks, received another text message from Verizon stating that the returned phone was not received yet, but to disregard the message if the phone had been mailed back.

After about another week, I received another text message stating that I had not returned my phone and a $449 charge would appear on my next bill.

I called Verizon customer service and talked to a very nice lady named Stacy at 585-321-7650 EXT 1032. I provided Stacy with the reference number off from my post office receipt, (Prepaid Return Label # 420569509158946530067027593409) she looked it up on the internet and found it was received at the post office and had left the local post office and was in route to the destination. She said she would send an email to the warehouse in Fort Worth TX and ask them to look for the phone. Stacy said she would keep me informed.

A few days later, I received a voice message from Stacy suggesting that I go to my local post office and file a claim of the “lost” phone. She said should call her supervisor LUZ at 585-321-7650 EXT 1032.

I called and talked to LUZ and explained that I could not go to the post office and file a claim because I did not pay for the shipping, it was a prepaid return label provided by Verizon. I also found a barcode label (keep for your own records) that I saved from the prepaid return label. FEDEX reference number 58946530067027593409 , I tracked that number and FEDEX shows it was delivered to the Fort Worth TX facility on JAN 30 at 10:59 AM (see attach PDF) I provided that information to LUZ . At this point she said it was my issue and asked why I had dropped off a FEDEX package at the USPS. I explained that the prepaid return label was a USPS label, a concept that NO ONE at Verizon appears to understand? The service is called “FEDEX SmartPost Return”, and the return label was provided and paid for by Verizon.

At this point, I asked to have the charge removed from my phone bill. I was told (by LUZ) that the warehouse could not find the phone , so Verizon would not remove the charge from my phone bill, but they would keep looking for it.

I tried to explain that is was not my problem that the phone was lost, I did exactly what Verizon told me to do, I mailed it back in the box provided, with the prepaid label provided, hand delivered it to the post office counter and received a receipt of shipment.

LUZ again said that I should go to the post office and have the package traced. Tell me again why this is my problem? At this time I was very unhappy wasting my time trying to solve a problem that is totally beyond my control. I followed the return instructions EXACTLY and have proof of each step and it is still my responsibility that the returned phone is missing? LUZ said she would email the warehouse and look for the phone again. She should have fixed this at this point and removed the charge from my bill, Stacy was great, but LUZ really pissed me off!!! I Still have not received anything back from her.

I called the Verizon Corporate “Executive Response Team” at 212-321-8700 and I talked with a very nice lady named Marsha Payne, she referred me to the Verizon Wireless “Executive Response Team” She told me she would email them and have them contact me.

2 days later, I was contacted by Wendy from the “Verizon Wireless Executive Response Team”, I explained all of this to Wendy, she also asked why I took the package to the post office and said I should have the post office trace the package. It is clear that no one in Verizon knows how their own phone return system works? I asked Wendy to fix this, she said she will have to investigate again and that Verizon would not credit my account until they found the phone. I asked what would happen if they could not find the phone, Wendy said that I would have to pay for it $449.

Sorry, but that was the last straw! Let me get this straight, I returned a phone in the box provided by Verizon, attached the “FEDEX SmartPost Return” label provided and paid for by Verizon, hand delivered the package to the post office counter, have a copy of the post office receipt with a tracking number, have a copy of the post office tracking info showing it left the local post office, have a copy of the FEDEX portion of the shipping tracking information showing the package delivered to the warehouse in Fort Worth, the warehouse can’t find the phone, so I have to pay $449!! You have to be kidding me.
At this point, I attempted to contact any Verizon Executive (Corporate or Wireless) that I could find an email address for. I sent a copy of this information to at least 30 top Verizon Executives. I also filled out the “Contact sheet” for another 15 Top Execs on the Verizon Wes site.

Verizon Communications | 2010 Annual Report
Executive Leadership

Out of all the requests I made, only one person replied, that would be Bob Mudge, (President – Consumer and Mass Business Markets) Bob is a very nice man and said he would forward this to the correct person at the Wireless division and that he would also seem that this was resolved. In his response, he copied Daniel S. Mead (President and CEO of Verizon Wireless) [email protected] and Louis Sigillo (Vice President of Customer Service) [email protected].

The very next morning, I was contacted by the same WENDY at the Verizon Wireless Executive response team. Yes, the same Wendy as before.
WENDY said that now they have suddenly found the empty phone box at the warehouse. The box was still sealed and was empty? SO I WILL BE CHARGED FOR THE PHONE!

My postal receipt has the weight of the box on it when shipped, 13.30oz, just what a Droid phone and a small box should weigh, clearly the phone was in the box at shipment. Clearly, someone has removed the phone from the box, WENDY also stated the phone is "active" on the system, IT APPEARS THIS PHONE WAS STOLEN AFTER SHIPMENT?? (My Guess is from the Verizon warehouse?) THIS IS NOT MY PROBLEM!!

Wendy said there is nothing else Verizon can do about this. I asked who else I can talk to, she said she was the final word on this.

Just as a side note, Verizon only insures the return phones for $100
(the limit of FEDEX SmartPost) Two weeks after I received the replacement new Droidx2 phone, I upgraded two of my 5 lines to the new razor. Verizon gave me only a $50 “Trade in” credit for the Brand New Droidx2 I just received from the warehouse as a replacement ???

Verizon only insures the FedEX SmartPost Reteun shipment for $100, they only gave me $50 for the NEW phone I traded in, now they are charging me $449 for a damaged phone that got stolen in their shipping process! This is unbelievable!I Guess will have to go file a police report on the stolen phone, contact the post office and FedEx and inform them. I would hope Verizon will provide the information on who’s account this phone is still active? My Guess it is not in my home state even? Verizon knows where the phone is, it is active (I guess) on someone's Verizon account (so WENDY Said) Maybe? Verizon will launch a criminal investigation and figure out who is stealing the phones?

I have started a new Facebook page under the name Nozirev Emdewercs (Verizon Screwedme spelled backwards) If you have been screwed by Verizon, feel free to post anything you want on the page!

Last edited:

snowman

Reaction score
This is for the orginal post and reply is to them it was said I left it in a Fed-x Box===
I worked at UPS 30 years my input is never put such a thing in a box, such as a fed x box
hand it to a driver or go to cust. counter it's not on their dime till it's scanned
always keep the track number and track it a couple days to be sure it's delivered, and print this delivery info and who signed for it
dropping it in a FedEx box and it gets stolen could be your dime no proof it was shipped?
hope it works out ok
just went through the same scenario had 2 phones go bad in a weeks time after the original went bad
really sucks a big on e they send a refurb only

Last edited: