Broken Phone past 30 days? Get an in-store replacement!

tntc.tig

Reaction score
Verizon seems to finally have Warranty Replacement phones in store! No more waiting for a new phone to ship!

I had called customer service and mentioned issues with Exchange E-Mail (more on that in other threads). They said they could ship me a new phone. I asked if I could get a replacement from the store, and she said "It depends on if they have them in stock." I was beyond my 30 days for a new device swap, and figured I was boned.

The first store I went to said they did not have any replacement phones, and since I was outside the 30 days, I would have to have them ship me a refurbished device. On my way out, I called another local store on a whim. They said they didn't have any because they were a Retail-Only store and didn't do warranty replacement, but they could check stock on nearby stores for me.

The store I was at had 5 Moto Droids. Not just ANY Droids, but FRU (Warranty replacement ones, beyond 30 days ones!) Unfortunately, they were on a yet-to-be-unloaded truck, and I would have to wait till tomorrow Upon realizing they didn't have them on-hand yet, they called a nearby store for me, and that store had three, ready to go. They mentioned "FRU" (Field Replacement Unit?) several times, so I was sure these were the right Droids.

I went to the store with the three replacements right then, and sure enough they grabbed a fairly plain cardboard box, whipped out a phone, and got me up and running.

The moral of the story: Having a non-functional phone sucks, so go to a store that does Warranty Service and get it there instead of waiting for a shipped device. Make sure you call a store before you head out, and have them check if they have any of the FRUs in stock.

--TNTC

gentlefury

Reaction score
Verizon seems to finally have Warranty Replacement phones in store! No more waiting for a new phone to ship!

I had called customer service and mentioned issues with Exchange E-Mail (more on that in other threads). They said they could ship me a new phone. I asked if I could get a replacement from the store, and she said "It depends on if they have them in stock." I was beyond my 30 days for a new device swap, and figured I was boned.

The first store I went to said they did not have any replacement phones, and since I was outside the 30 days, I would have to have them ship me a refurbished device. On my way out, I called another local store on a whim. They said they didn't have any because they were a Retail-Only store and didn't do warranty replacement, but they could check stock on nearby stores for me.

The store I was at had 5 Moto Droids. Not just ANY Droids, but FRU (Warranty replacement ones, beyond 30 days ones!) Unfortunately, they were on a yet-to-be-unloaded truck, and I would have to wait till tomorrow Upon realizing they didn't have them on-hand yet, they called a nearby store for me, and that store had three, ready to go. They mentioned "FRU" (Field Replacement Unit?) several times, so I was sure these were the right Droids.

I went to the store with the three replacements right then, and sure enough they grabbed a fairly plain cardboard box, whipped out a phone, and got me up and running.

The moral of the story: Having a non-functional phone sucks, so go to a store that does Warranty Service and get it there instead of waiting for a shipped device. Make sure you call a store before you head out, and have them check if they have any of the FRUs in stock.

--TNTC

That has always been the case, and if you have insurance they will replace it free for the first year of having it.

Actually it's not even a year from the time you bought it, it's 1 year from the time it is put on your account...so if you bought a used one that was a year old and put it on your account yesterday with insurance and it stops working tomorrow you can go get a replacement for free....well as long as its in good enough shape to look like you just got it and its a current model...and don't be stupid and mention you bought it used!!