Broken LCD Screen- Need to Wipe Data

kjholler

Reaction score
Hi everyone, first post. Came across this forum several times this week in my research and everyone seemed helpful, and nice at the least. So here it goes:

I broke my Razr Maxx HD this past weekend (it was stepped on). The screen was rainbow colored for a day and then went completely black. I can see my green indicator light flashing, telling me I have messages, so I know it's working (before it went completely black I could also still see the homescreen). The screen is completely unworkable, I can't see anything. I was able to get a backup phone from a friend (Samsung Galaxy Stellar), but it's a significant downgrade considering how good the Razr is. I just want to wipe the phone so I can sell it (I'm a broke grad student so repair is not an option for this expensive phone)—but my gmail, FB, twitter, bank, etc. accounts are on there. I don't know what is stored to the internal memory, but I'm assuming most of those apps and their info were.

My screen was locked using the pattern lock before the screen was broken. It was also not USB debugged and it is not rooted.

I've been researching non-stop. It won't connect via USB because of the above mentioned. I tried connecting via a micro HDMI but the tv did not pick up any signal and the phone also did not indicate (from what I can tell) that it was connected to anything. I have no idea how to use ADB or fastboot, but perhaps with some sort of direction I could try again. I also don't have access to a lapdock.

I guess my questions are:
1. Is there any other way to wipe this data without being able to see the screen (my research tells me no).
2. How do I use ADB or similar functions/programs?
3. Are there any programs that will just help me project my screen onto my laptop with the right cord?
4. OR if I just sell it as is and someone fixes the screen, will they be able to get past the pattern lock or will they most likely end up having to do a hard reset anyway?

I appreciate any and all advice. Thanks! :blink::biggrin:

YellowJacket

Reaction score
You may be in luck.
Over the last couple weeks google has been pushing out a silent update to our phones called Android Device Manager. It allows you to locate your phone, make it ring on command, remotely unlock it and remotely wipe it.

It should already be installed on your device so all you have to do is log onto your google play account and search for android device manager. It will bring up a map that locates your phone and will give you a menu of choices. One of them is to wipe your phone.

Hope that helps.

David

cybertj.2000

Reaction score
I'm not 100% on this, but I think you needed to activate something on your phone to get that to work prior to needing the feature.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
K

kjholler

Reaction score
You may be in luck.
Over the last couple weeks google has been pushing out a silent update to our phones called Android Device Manager. It allows you to locate your phone, make it ring on command, remotely unlock it and remotely wipe it.

It should already be installed on your device so all you have to do is log onto your google play account and search for android device manager. It will bring up a map that locates your phone and will give you a menu of choices. One of them is to wipe your phone.

Hope that helps.

David

That's amazing. I did find my device in google play, but it says it can't contact it. Is that because I'm now using a different device for my line? The phone is no longer hooked up...

OP
K

kjholler

Reaction score
And nope to the remote erase idea. :frown:

stupideffingphone.jpg

OP
K

kjholler

Reaction score
Hi everyone, first post. Came across this forum several times this week in my research and everyone seemed helpful, and nice at the least. So here it goes:

I broke my Razr Maxx HD this past weekend (it was stepped on). The screen was rainbow colored for a day and then went completely black. I can see my green indicator light flashing, telling me I have messages, so I know it's working (before it went completely black I could also still see the homescreen). The screen is completely unworkable, I can't see anything. I was able to get a backup phone from a friend (Samsung Galaxy Stellar), but it's a significant downgrade considering how good the Razr is. I just want to wipe the phone so I can sell it (I'm a broke grad student so repair is not an option for this expensive phone)—but my gmail, FB, twitter, bank, etc. accounts are on there. I don't know what is stored to the internal memory, but I'm assuming most of those apps and their info were.

My screen was locked using the pattern lock before the screen was broken. It was also not USB debugged and it is not rooted.

I've been researching non-stop. It won't connect via USB because of the above mentioned. I tried connecting via a micro HDMI but the tv did not pick up any signal and the phone also did not indicate (from what I can tell) that it was connected to anything. I have no idea how to use ADB or fastboot, but perhaps with some sort of direction I could try again. I also don't have access to a lapdock.

I guess my questions are:
1. Is there any other way to wipe this data without being able to see the screen (my research tells me no).
2. How do I use ADB or similar functions/programs?
3. Are there any programs that will just help me project my screen onto my laptop with the right cord?
4. OR if I just sell it as is and someone fixes the screen, will they be able to get past the pattern lock or will they most likely end up having to do a hard reset anyway?

I appreciate any and all advice. Thanks! :blink::biggrin:

Okay terrific. Thanks for all the help and/or suggestions. :rating02: