Broken Droid - Trying to play with it

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by rduterte, May 18, 2011.

1. rduterte

rduterte New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My issue is that someone gave me a Moto Droid with a dead digitizer. I actually already have a Droid so I've been using this other one (hereto referred to as "Broken Droid") to charge spare batteries.

Recently I thought of using it for a couple silly projects using it as a wifi only device. Remote webcam, nightstand radio, etc - even as a "sleep sounds" device.

The problem is the dead digitizer. I'm trying to figure out a way I can goof around on it without using the touchscreen just so I can get far enough to install and configure vnc server or something. I'm trying to avoid buying a digitizer for it because while the projects I have in mind are fun, they aren't $30 fun (cheapest I've seen it go for).

The challenge:
    1) The phone is in the "Touch the Android to Begin" state
    2) The digitizer is dead, dead. No input at all
    3) The phone does not have clockwork mod flashed to it.

Some Help:
    1) Since it's a moto droid, it does have the keyboard. I can use the Dpad to tab around a bit, but I can't even get passed the "Touch the Android to Begin" part
    2) It has the external SD card; I was thinking of maybe using "Apply update.zip" to flash something else on it; but I'm not sure where to go from

Anyway, I figured I'd ask and see if you guys can think of a better way. I think if I can get clockwork on there I can probably use my working droid and a spare SD card to configure a backedup state with all the apps I need and with VNC server already configured. Then I could restore it to the phone. But I don't really know how to flash clockwork without ROM Manager.

Plus I thought maybe you guys could think of a different approach.

Thanks in advance!

- Ramon

2. rduterte

rduterte New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, that's probably a little difficult.

Could someone point me in the direction of how to install clockwork recovery without booting into the OS? Like, is it possible to install it by doing an apply update.zip?

3. unknownghost

unknownghost New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, it is possible to install clockwork recovery from update.zip, but you won't get the fancy graphical interface part of it. I can't promise wherther it will work on the Droid, but here's a link to the instructions I followed for my Samsung Captivate:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=884364

If nothing else, that should give you an idea of what you need to do. There is also a link to download ClockWorkMod there, not sure it would be the right one though. Good luck and let me know how it works!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

#3 unknownghost, May 23, 2011
    Last edited: May 23, 2011
  4. guidot

guidot Developer Relations
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +274
    You could flash a recovery using RSDLite, then install a ROM. Not positive on the working around of "touch to begin" though.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Search tags for this page
a855 flashing rom killed touch screen

a855 touch screen bypass

android digitizer hack
bypass broken android digitizer
bypass broken digitizer android
dropped my phone now touch screen wont work
how to bypass a digitizer
how to skip touch to began setup on droid 2 with dpad
how to use keyboard to bypass activation on a855
use keypad to bypass setup screen on a855