Broke WiFi on Droid after overclocking, Need Fix

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by jared1337, Feb 1, 2010.

1. jared1337

jared1337 New Member

So I overclocked my Droid to 1GHz and now I cant start my WiFi, It just says "Unable to start WiFi". I have Nandroid and the SPRecovery and my droid is rooted. How do I fix the WiFi? Not sure how to do what it explains below. Do I do all this from SPRecovery?

WiFi Fix
    You might also need this tiwlan_drv.ko, depending on what kernel you had prior. tiwlan_drv.ko
    From a root, recovery console (su):

Code:
    mount -o remount,rw /system
    cp /sytem/lib/modules/tiwlan_drv.ko tiwlan_drv.ko.bak
    cat /sdcard/tiwlan_drv.ko > /system/lib/modules/tiwlan_drv.ko
    chmod 644 /system/lib/modules/tiwlan_drv.ko
    Mount -o remount,ro /system
  2. listenman20

listenman20 Member

you d/l that file...tiwlan_drv.ko......then you use adb shell from pc to put in those commands or code
  3. Shad0w325

Shad0w325 New Member

You don't need to do that from the recovery menu, I'm not sure why it says that because it didn't work for me. Assuming you know how to use adb since your rooted and OC'd, just copy the tiwlan_drv.ko file to the root of your SD card, unmount the SD card from your computer, and open up command prompt. This is what you need to type.

adb shell
    su
    mount -o remount /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
    mount -o remount,rw /system
    cp /sytem/lib/modules/tiwlan_drv.ko tiwlan_drv.ko.bak
    cat /sdcard/tiwlan_drv.ko > /system/lib/modules/tiwlan_drv.ko
    chmod 644 /system/lib/modules/tiwlan_drv.ko
    mount -o remount,ro /system
    mount -o ro,remount /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
    sync
    reboot

After your phone reboots your wifi should be working perfectly. :)
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  4. messenger13

messenger13 New Member

Root Explorer method

I've helped a lot of noobs who don't like (or are afraid of) command line statements. If you belong in that group, here's another way...

1. In preparation, make sure you have Root Explorer installed on your Droid (it costs a couple of bucks, but it’s worth it).

2. Download the tiwlan_drv.ko file from the tasmanian_droid forum at Alldroid to the root of your SD card.

3. Open Root Explorer, scroll down to system, then lib, then all the way down to modules. Tap the white button at the top so that it says “Mount R/O.”

4. Long press on the file tiwlan_drv.ko file, select “Rename” and add the extension .bak to the file.

5. Go back to the main directory and scroll down to sdcard and find the WiFi fix file you downloaded there, then long press and select “Move”. If you’ve done it correctly, you’ll see a “Paste” button at the bottom as you navigate through the directories back to modules.

6. In modules, click “Paste,” then long press on the file and select “Permissions”. For “User,” check the boxes for Read and Write (but NOT Execute); for “Group” and “Others,” check only Read, then tap “OK”.

7. The details under the file name should show “rw-r--r--” (which is what 644 means) and should be identical to those for the file you renamed with the .bak extension.

That’s it, your WiFi should be up and running!
  5. Corinacakes

Corinacakes DF Super Moderator Theme Developer

joe i'm really beginning to think you're a geek :rofl3:
  6. JGard

JGard New Member

nevermind, fixed my problem. Phone wasn't prompting me to allow SU access, even though it should have been., All set :)

strike that. Still no go. I keep getting the error "cp: not found". This occurs whether I try it through ADB or through a terminal emulator on the droid

Also, when I try the first mount instruction, I basically get a help file showing how to enter the Mount command and the options for it. So it doesn't like something when I type in mount -o remount,rw /system
  7. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

This is what happens when people blindly follow instructions posted on a forum. That list of commands is RIDDLED with errors.

For starters, system has an S in it. The list up there says /sytem. There are TWO mount commands in a row for reasons I can't really understand. That should be a single command. Same with the two mount commands at the end.

Also, the way it is written, it's very confusing. The "cat" commands and the commands that mention /dev/block/mtdblock4 seem to imply that busybox is not installed, but some of the commands are "cp" and the mount commands without a device listed imply that busybox IS installed.
  8. hughesjr

hughesjr New Member

Also, if using cp in one place, why cat in the other?

I am also not sure how well cat works with binary type files ... it seems to work, but I have never done that.

if cp is not found, use busybox cp instead of cp, so:

busybox cp /system/lib/modules/tiwlan_drv.ko tiwlan_drv.ko.bak

and

busybox cp /sdcard/tiwlan_drv.ko > /system/lib/modules/tiwlan_drv.ko
  9. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

no no no no no. (Sorry for the tone, but my original comment was in frustration over people posting incorrect/invalid command instructions, and you just posted another one). You should NOT be using the redirect (greater-than symbol) with a copy command.

HOW TO COPY A FILE

cat [SRCFILE] > [DESTFILE] is used when you don't have the cp command available (on a stock droid before installing busybox, for example). What it's doing is using cat to display the contents of a file and then redirecting the contents into another file with the > operator.

dd if=SRCFILE of=DESTFILE is another way to emulate a cp command when the cp command is not available. I prefer this method, as it should be safer for binary files. The DD command just copies data from one place to another. IF stands for "input file" and OF stands for "output file".

cp [SRCFILE] [DESTFILE] is how to copy files if you have busybox installed *correctly* or on a normal linux system.

busybox cp [SRCFILE] [DESTFILE] is how to copy files if you only have the busybox binary installed with none of the helper links created.
  10. hughesjr

hughesjr New Member

Right ... made a mistake. I promise I know Linux commands. I am one of the CentOS Linux distribution developers :)
  11. jared1337

jared1337 New Member

Shad0w325 I did what you said and it worked. Thank you. If I delete that file off my SDcard or use my droid without the sdcard inserted, will the wifi fix still work? Or does the sdcard have to be inserted for the fix to work since the file is on the sdcard?
  12. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

The commands you typed copied the file off the sdcard and into /system. You no longer need the file to be on the card or the card to be in the droid.
  13. SANhacker

SANhacker New Member

I believe part of the confusion here is where ppl are thinking sdcard is root when /sdcard is in actuality a directory in root.

Don't believe me? Open up Astro which brings you to /sdcard and hit the up button. You will then see a whole new world. Including /system which is where the fun begins. :icon_eek:
  14. EzPotato

EzPotato New Member

I don't quite get this, am I suppose to have the file tiwlan_drv.ko in the module file when I get to 3? Can anybody help pls?
  15. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

You shouldn't follow these directions at all - they are out of date. Instead, just download a kernel packaged in an update.zip file. It will include the module and install itself for you
  16. EzPotato

EzPotato New Member

Thanks for your advice, followed your instruction and it worked perfectly.
Search tags for this page

android overclock wifi eror

android terminal commands that fix errors

fix wifi error on galaxy young after root

fix wifi terminal emulator android

hack wifi android terminal commands wifi

how do you fix broken wifi in android shell

how to fix android wifi errors through terminal emulator

how to fix the wifi on droid dna

how to fix wifi error after overclock android

how to fix wifi error in android through terminal emulator

my wifi has an error how to fix root