Broke Phone While Rooted

cyrax2768

Reaction score
So today i dropped my droid literally 5 feet from the ground and it would not turn back on after that, so i had to take it to verizon. My phone was rooted and had a custom rom on it but since it wouldnt turn on at all they just gave me a new one free without questions. Has anyone else experienced this and has verizon approached you later on saying your previous phone was rooted and all throwing suprise charges to your account? Just worried a little bit if they fix the phone and see it has all that stuff on it lol.

CatsTide

Reaction score
i wouldn't worry too much about it. if they fix it they will probably just wipe it and not think anything more about it. i would think verizon has bigger fish to fry.

warrior21

Reaction score
They already gave you a new one so it won't be an issue. The phone will just be wiped and refurbished when it gets sent back anyway.

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
I bet they even have a policy in place that requires them to wipe it right away, otherwise they have access to your info on the phone and would have to deal with other problems if they handled it.

Myth

Reaction score
I've heard that rooting would void the warranty, but it wouldn't void insurance would it? I mean, insurance is for stuff you do to it yourself, like breaking it...wouldn't that include messing with the OS?

korp

Reaction score
I've heard that rooting would void the warranty, but it wouldn't void insurance would it? I mean, insurance is for stuff you do to it yourself, like breaking it...wouldn't that include messing with the OS?
Yes it voids the warranty. I believe that if you are paying the insurance that will not change anything. Basically the warning is if you don't have insurance and mess up the phone ... be ready to pay $$ for a new device or use a different one. Also, if you are rooted you can simply unroot the device and its back to its stock permissions therefore covered under warranty yet again.

In the op's case, if you can't even turn it on they can't see that its rooted and wipe everything if they get it back to working.

sik

Reaction score
haha oh man i had the same issue about 1 1/2 months ago dropped the droid on concrete had it in my lap stood up dropped maybe 2 feet and would just barely light up but couldnt see anything just kind of a white light. i was rooted running the Beast at 1.0 i was thinking same thing.
Took it into verizon and they did a manufacturer defect i had my case on it and my screen protector charged me like $50 or $55 instead of the insurance replacement. Havent heard anything back on it yet. On the new one i got i noticed the keyboard doesnt have any movement even now my first droid i got on 11-6-09 launch day.