Broke my Screen

grrouchie

Reaction score
Today - for the first time ever since I have owned Cell Phones - I dropped the phone and the screen cracked.
It landed on the top left corner and a chunk or two of glass came out of there and a couple of cracks running across the entire screen.

Ugh. Got a few "rough" area's where one could cut themselves which means I now have to be careful when touching the screen and making calls. Bluetooth all the way I guess.

Going to try to find a local place to replace the screen for me and seeing if I can file a claim to get a new one through the extended plan I pay for via Verizon.

In the past decade I've replaced a phone 3 times.
Once when one was Ran over by a car.
Once when one was stolen.
Once when the screen just froze when trying to take a picture.

I've got a few months before I'm eligible for an upgrade so I'm hoping that I can file a claim and get a refurb'd one to last me a few more months.

deduct

Reaction score
That sucks man. Sounds like the phone landed just wrong enough to be disastrous. I had to get a replacement for my bionic a couple of months ago too through asurion. The first phone that came had a very small crack under the screen I noticed immediately upon turning it on. But the second one they sent is good. So if you go insurance be sure to inspect it thoroughly upon receiving it. If you find anything wrong call them and send it back right away.

804hokie

Reaction score
My condolences.

I know it's possible to replace the screen yourself, if you have the will. Motorola Droid Bionic Repair Manual - iFixit My friends that use iPhones can rely on local repair shops for their frequent screen shatters (usually quoted at $100). I have no idea if such capabilities are available around here, but would think that larger cities would be able to accommodate these kinds of repairs.

I don't know how my screen hasn't broken yet. That gorilla glass is hella tough

derpy

Reaction score
The screen on these phones are pretty easy to replace provided you have enough patience and follow the ifixit guide precisely. If you just cracked the glass itself, you can just get the glass and use your existing LCD panel. I highly recommend having a can of compressed air or something near by when doing this. The last few times I've replaced bionic screens, no matter how dust-free the room was and no matter how clean the cloths I used were, I always ended up with a few specks of lint or something behind the screen. I found a couple of quick taps with the compressed air seem to take care of the problem.