Brightness / Screen ~ Battery Life

tw15egan

Reaction score
Does anyone use an external app to control your Nexus' brightness? My brightness is constantly over 50% of my devices' battery consumption. I know, if I just stopped using it so much it would be better, but it just looks so damn SEXY!

EDIT: I'm testing out Screen Dimmer, but it seems to make my phone lag a bit?

Last edited:

cleevis

Reaction score
I just keep mine set to automatic. It still uses most of the battery life, but adjusts really well to my location.

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
The screen is large and requires a lot of power to light up and animate. Outside of finding apps that use a lot of battery on their own, not using your device's screen (play music with screen off, phone call with screen off), or just plain not using the device it is not abnormal to have the screen as your biggest drainer. If you set the brightness to the dimmest setting, and view mostly darker things (ie black), you will use less battery (minimal difference at dimmer settings, at brighter settings there is a larger difference). But regardless if you are actually using your device a lot, the screen should be the highest.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Amoled uses less battery on darker themes. Things like kindle, tapatalk, etc can save quite a bit of battery just by using the dark theme.
An app called Auto Bright has made a world of difference on my Rezound. I keep my brightness at 15%, unless i need brighter, I tap the icon and the screens auto bright comes on and when I'm done needing the brighter screen another tap turns it back to off and the 15% I've got it set for in the phones display settings. It controls nothing but auto bright on/ off and has no settings.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this TapaTalk post

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I leave mine at 35-40% and the battery easily lasts me through the entire day (2 hours of screen time). Generally when I plug it in to go to bed I still have 40% left.

When I go to bed I use Screen Filter which reduces the brightness by 50% - I leave the clock on all night and I don't want it as bright.

What316

Reaction score
I just keep mine set to automatic. It still uses most of the battery life, but adjusts really well to my location.

Same here. I tried keeping at a certain percentage, but I always go back to the auto. Works great.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk