Brightness less than 0%?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Here's a perfect example, when you take a screenshot it doesn't matter how high or low your brightness is, you'll always get the same picture (not a real bright/dim one) when I set screen filter to its lowest it took a picture and produced a black screen with my capacitive keys at the bottom - same screenshot with root dim enabled at its lowest produced a regular screenshot, you couldn't even tell I had the screen dimmed

So screen filter does put a dark mask over your screen while root dim actually lowers your brightness settings

Screenshot_2012-01-27-10-20-00.png

Screenshot_2012-01-27-10-21-09.png

I don't dispute what you say about the lack of impact screen filter has on the soft keys of the Nexus but that's because the OS has control of the keys making applying a "filter effect" impossible. It doesn't prove that screen filter ultimately doesn't actually reduce light output and thereby power consumption.

What everyone has to understand is that OLEDs don't create blacks by somehow overlaying a black ink "mask" over the display, instead they allow blacks by simply turning down brightness at the individual pixel level. In other words black is obtained by reducing the production of light (black is the absence of light).

The way that's done is by reducing the voltage and current to the individual OLED pixels, so it will also reduce battery consumption. White or any color on the spectrum is created by producing some level of light from a combination of the three primary colored OLEDs that make up a pixel set (Red, Blue and Green) from 0 to 255 for each color and combining (255x255x255) to produce over 16 million colors and brightness from black to white. There is no back lighting on an OLED screen because the individual pixels are each themselves a microscopic solid state light source (light emitting diode)

This is contrary to how an LCD accomplishes dark areas. An LCD uses separate LED back lighting and essentially blocks that light from being released by electrically charging the liquid crystals causing them to twist and shut the window shades. Since the LED back light on an LCD display remains lit it continues to use power at essentially the same rate as it would if the screen were white.

So whether the light output from an OLED display is reduced through tricking the OS to tell the OLEDs to turn down light production the way screen filter does (there is no actual "shade overlay" ) by sending a "layer" of some varying shade of gray over the entire screen (actually a mathmatical subtraction) or if it's done at the root level by directly manipulating the power output bypassing the OS the net effect is the same.

As said before there may be some small amount of additional power consumption by the screen filter app that root screen brightness reduction doesn't consume but it's likely nominal.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Last edited:
OP
bacchanal

bacchanal

Reaction score
I just rooted and tried root dim, but it doesn't seem to lower brightness past 0%... even at 1/255 it is quite visible. it gives the super user notification, but doesn't seem to be working..

help? :)

hobojoe196061

Reaction score
An app i've been using now for about a month on my maxx is Lux Dash. The reason i love this app is because it can control the back light brightness automatically and you can set manual levels of brightness. including "sub-zero" levels which make the screen very dark. honestly this app is terrific and takes a lot of extra button clicks out of daily use

Free
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vito.lux.free&feature=search_result

Paid ($1.99 i believe)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vito.lux&feature=search_result

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
An app i've been using now for about a month on my maxx is Lux Dash. The reason i love this app is because it can control the back light brightness automatically and you can set manual levels of brightness. including "sub-zero" levels which make the screen very dark. honestly this app is terrific and takes a lot of extra button clicks out of daily use

Free
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vito.lux.free&feature=search_result

Paid ($1.99 i believe)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vito.lux&feature=search_result

Looks like the paid version is what I'd need since it will only allow linking of values from 0 up (15 according to itself). I need the sub-zero settings to hold.

OP
bacchanal

bacchanal

Reaction score
Looks like the paid version is what I'd need since it will only allow linking of values from 0 up (15 according to itself). I need the sub-zero settings to hold.

same here, really pretty app, but most features seem to be paid only... Not convinced it would work exactly as promised so I'm reluctant to pay for it...

i wish there was an ad supported full version, or at least a more full version than this one... meh

hobojoe196061

Reaction score
same here, really pretty app, but most features seem to be paid only... Not convinced it would work exactly as promised so I'm reluctant to pay for it...

i wish there was an ad supported full version, or at least a more full version than this one... meh

It works really well. what features does the paid only version have that you need to use? if possible i can test for you, but overall like i said i have been using it for a month now and it is great. i tried the free first and was like you guys where i wanted to full features...so i bought it and would return if not to my liking..but it's a must now for me..saves my eyes so much at night. For me personally the selling points for me were the fact that it can dim the screen a lot more than stock and it can dynamically adjust brightness unlike other apps I had tried in the past.

OP
bacchanal

bacchanal

Reaction score
It works really well. what features does the paid only version have that you need to use? if possible i can test for you, but overall like i said i have been using it for a month now and it is great. i tried the free first and was like you guys where i wanted to full features...so i bought it and would return if not to my liking..but it's a must now for me..saves my eyes so much at night. For me personally the selling points for me were the fact that it can dim the screen a lot more than stock and it can dynamically adjust brightness unlike other apps I had tried in the past.

Well, like the previous poster, I would want to link sub zero settings. the soft key dimmer doesn't work, but that might just be my device (razr, rooted). the smooth transitions is also paid only, but i wouldn't be able to test that without the sub zero thing anyway. i dunno, it just seemed like whenever i saw a seemingly useful setting, it was paid only. discouraging lol

hobojoe196061

Reaction score
Well, like the previous poster, I would want to link sub zero settings. the soft key dimmer doesn't work, but that might just be my device (razr, rooted). the smooth transitions is also paid only, but i wouldn't be able to test that without the sub zero thing anyway. i dunno, it just seemed like whenever i saw a seemingly useful setting, it was paid only. discouraging lol

I have never tried the softkey dimmer..i wonder if that may be an ics setting? the smooth transition isn't the smoothest, some times it jumps depending on your preset links. for the most part though, i rarely notice the dimmer changing drastically. theres not much i can tell you really...if you dont want to shell out a couple bucks...then live with a couple extra clicks

xmguy

Reaction score
I use screen adjuster. "Dims" the display beyond what the phone allows. It does this by overlaying black pixels in the screen to absorb some of the light. I use it at night worka really well.

Sent from my Motorola (Droid) Razr Maxx.. out in the boonies of TN while picking on a guitar!

OP
bacchanal

bacchanal

Reaction score
Bit the bullet and purchased lux, the only paid app I've ever purchased for the Android (because of principle, not really cost), and it was 100% worth it. Amazing app, stylish and easy to use, highly and quickly customizeable.

The soft key dimmer doesn't work on my razr, but it's still leaps and bounds above screen filter and root dim.

hobojoe196061

Reaction score
Bit the bullet and purchased lux, the only paid app I've ever purchased for the Android (because of principle, not really cost), and it was 100% worth it. Amazing app, stylish and easy to use, highly and quickly customizeable.

The soft key dimmer doesn't work on my razr, but it's still leaps and bounds above screen filter and root dim.

I'm glad my recommendation was the right one for you. I was like you when i first got my OG Droid and didn't want to buy apps...but after a while i decided that if the dev makes a great product and isn't asking something crazy like 5 bucks, why not support good work. just my view, but to each is own lol

Last edited:

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
While testing 2x battery I used the screen filter for a week...

I saw no battery savings ..
Display usage was still 4-5hrs when battery was drained same as with no filter. It is good for night time blindness.

Will try root dim now...

----posted maxx'ed out----