Brightness keeps going up and down while using phone

splat10

Reaction score
Just updated to jb and now my phone keeps adjusting the brightness up and down constantly. It's driving me nuts.

I have my screen set to auto brightness. I had the dim to conserve battery checked but I unchecked it and no change. What other setting should I check? It seems to be keyboard (Swype) induced maybe?

Any thoughts?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

OP
splat10

splat10

Reaction score
Just scrolling down thus forum in tapatalk it went up and down at least three times. It's not a gradual change either, it's abrupt and very noticeable when it goes

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

snowman

Reaction score
there is a sensor on the front of the phone is your finger on it
it senses if the phone is up to your ear it shuts down the display

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Yea, sounds like to me that auto brightness may be doing what it was intended to do. Seems like it is constantly trying to balance itself out.

If it gets too bad, maybe consider leaving the brightness at a set place.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
I just noticed that in the display/brightness setting we now have "smart brightness" saves the most power. Cool but what does it do, and how is it different from "auto brightness"?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

snowman

Reaction score
when you hold it up to your head it turns display off for one I have heard at least

pblakk

Reaction score
The op said autodim is unchecked. Have you tried a reboot?

OP
splat10

splat10

Reaction score
i decided that the funtion is doing what it's supposed to do it's jsut annoying as it changes as i turn the phone. The TV has an effect too if it changes from a light to dark screen that affects the light levels in the room and the phone adjusts. It's overly sensitive is all. I've installed a brightness app that puts the dimmer on the volume rocker so i can quickly enable or disable auto brightness and the sldier. My Dx never had this issue but just another difference i'll get used to.