1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

bricked..

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by acidcore, Feb 1, 2010.

1. acidcore

acidcore New Member

Okay I know I have bricked my phone. It won't turn on or anything it is toast. I did it by uploading a framework-res.apk to /data/local i then used a root file manager to copy that .apk file to /system/framework/ after i did this the phone rebooted had no service and everything force closed. I then took my original framework-res.apk and loaded it. After I did that I restarted the phone and it wouldn't even load past the splash screens. I put the modified .apk back on and it would load again with no service and force closing everything. I again reloaded my original framework-res.apk and it would loop the splash screens again. Being in a panic I stupidly did the On+X and ormatted the phone. Now it was turning on and going past the 2 splash screens but right after the second splash screen it just went to a black screen. I woke up this morning and tried turning the phone on and now it won't even turn on. I guess my real question is this... When replacing the framework-res.apk it messed up the phone obviously and all i did was change 1 single graphic. So why when I reloaded the original apk did it not just go back to normal? Maybe I wasn't actually loading it right? Like i said i used root file manager to replace the apk originally so maybe i wasn't replacing it through adb? I was doing adb push framework-res.apk /system/framework/ and it said it wrote it to there. Would this be correct? If anyone could shed light on this I would be happy. At least I have a $150 paperweight now!
  2. forkup

forkup New Member

Could you have possibly borked your stock framework-res.apk? I'd suggest getting one elsewhere and trying it. Your command is correct: adb push framework-res.apk /system/framework/
  3. Finnstang

Finnstang New Member

Since you were changing stuff in /system, I assume you are rooted...did you install SPRecovery also? Did you make a backup?

Have you tried pulling the battery and putting it back in to see if it boots up? Plugging it in?
  4. acidcore

acidcore New Member

I had backed up the entire system to my pc. However when I stupidly formatted the phone I now had no access to do anything with it. It won't turn on and I can't connect it to my pc. The phone is pretty much like I said a $150.00 paperweight. The thing won't even turn on. The only life it shows is when I plug it in to charge the charging port lights up. I most likely am going to get a new droid and definitely not root it well not until it drops in price a bit lol. I shouldn't have panicked that was my downfall I already found a solution to my problem but too little too late lol. Anyone who reads this it really is hard to brick your phone I know a bunch of people who modded theirs just fine. If something goes wrong DON'T PANIC! Just find a solution online they are everywhere. Hope this helps someone not to brick theirs lol.
  5. clucernoni

clucernoni New Member

Have you taken the phone to a VZW store and talked to them about it? Tell them that it won't turn on and you aren't sure what happened. If you have the extended warranty you could always throw it in the toilet "by accident" first too lol.
  6. wuyanks

wuyanks DF News Team Premium Member

VZ may be able to flash it for you... (damn vz and their bootloader tricks)... just tell them that it bricked while getting an OTA update, if they ask
  7. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

If you have the SPRecovery image installed, your phone isn't bricked. There is always a recovery option. You can use that boot image to wipe the device and install a fresh 2.0.1 backup that a few people have posted.

If you DIDN'T install that recovery image - you might have a problem. Try to get the phone to boot and connect to it with ADB. If you can do that, you might be able to install sprecovery and restore to a working state.

Good luck! (and in the future, don't mess around with stuff as root unless you have a backup, or at least a method of recovering the phone).
  8. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

Something other things worth trying to get it to boot:
    1). Try pulling the battery out for a minute and putting it back in
    2). Plug into a USB port of a computer (not a wall charger) and leave it there for awhile (hours). I've had some battery issues that required a long charge before it would boot successfully.
  9. bL33d

bL33d New Member

If u got a backup on ur PC and sprecovery on ur phone but no nandroid backup on card cause
    u formatted ur SD card just use a card reader to create a nandroid folder on the SD card
    then place ur backup in the nandroid folder.
  10. wuyanks

wuyanks DF News Team Premium Member

OP: did you install SPrecovery? if so, we can help you
  11. acidcore

acidcore New Member

SPRecovery wasn't installed :(. I have tried many things leaving the battery out for like an hr then charging it all night it just won't even turn on now lol. I am not sure if I altered the recovery image? All I know is that it would load past the 2 splash screens and go to a black screen. A dark black emptiness. There is no way to get anything on or off the phone, I can't mount it because it isn't even turning on lol. I am pretty sure it is indeed bricked. I am just going to take it to vzw tell them it is junked and if they honor me a replacement awesome, if not looks like im buying another one lol.
  12. Yakuzagang5

Yakuzagang5 New Member

well... if you are rooted... you could go through ADB to do everything. use the mount command to mount system, push (install) flash_image, use flash_image to install SPRecovery, put in ANY nandroid backup that includes BDS (just to be safe) in a nandroid folder on SDcard, then try that. ADB will work and access the phone if the little light turns on when you plug in the cord. This is all I know that can help you. good luck :)
  13. acidcore

acidcore New Member

I don't think people are reading everything lol. I am not trying to be mean but it doesn't even turn on and even when it did it wouldn't let me mount. It is like i got a virus like it just ate away all the internal files. It is very awkward.
  14. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

:woot: :woot:
    Congratulations!! On being the first person (that I've seen) to brick the Droid. Dam... I was just telling someone in another thread last night that "it's hard to brick the device and I actually haven't seen anyone actually do it yet."

But seriously, sorry to hear, that really sucks. I would def take a trip to VZW store if nothing else. If they can get it to power on they should be able to force a boot image to it, if they can't than they should replace it under warranty since they can't 'prove' you did anything (of course tell them you have 'no idea what happened'). Even if they manage to power it on and force an image I don't think they'll be able to "see" what you did. Worth a shot at any rate. Good luck
  15. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad

I did not read everything either and I'm not going to because I have a headache (as you do to probably!), however, are you sure the battery has been charged? If your system was severely compromised, did it allow the battery to be charged? Could it be as simple as that - dead battery? I know, probably as stupid suggestion, but it's the only one I have :).
  16. Erron

Erron Developer Developer

Yea this seems odd to me.

Usually if its bricked it will turn on then just do nothing. I don't know of any software commend that could tell it never turn on again. Fried maybe, not bricked. If you fried it to the point of no power, then you can get a replacement from vzon. Just call, then them it's dead and hope they don't come back after you when they get the dead one.
  17. acidcore

acidcore New Member

No no suggestion is stupid lol. Yea I jumped the gun when it first messed up. I don't think they would be able to know if I did anything to it I mean the only thing on the sd card is the update.zip but i could just take the sd card out lol and it should still boot fine without it right? The actual system I don't think has anything on it since i replaced the framework-res.apk with the original before it completely crashed. I think I have busybox on there and i have a couple rooting apps so I think they might see that and be like "yea you hacked it you are SOL sorry"
  18. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Bayou,

That is excactly my suggestion. If The system fies are toast, it wil likley not charge. We have had a few folks who were doing "things" to the phone on either a weak charge or on a usb port that was not charging. They too had a "dead" phone that was just a dead battery. And, some usb cables do not chrage at all, just transmit data. I am sure the op is using his stock cable, but something to keep in mind.

Not sure what the status of aftermarket battery charges are these days, but if the op ever had a thought of buying a spare battery and/or chrager, now would be a good time.

Craig
  19. acidcore

acidcore New Member

lol wow was just sitting here and it turned on sadly it still goes to a black screen :(
  20. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Try to enter the bootloader, it will give you a battery status. While booting up hold the 'up' on the d-pad with keyboard open ... so if phone is held vertical, it actually would be 'right' on the d-pad